Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

giacometti!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: giacometti!!! Reply with quote

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/coming/giacometti

enough to say I am beside myself with excitement...

from my heart...almost an order...travel travel travel to Sydney Wink

although, at the same time, I acknowledge that his work isn't everyone's cup of tea ~ so, perhaps, not exactly an order
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: giacometti!!! Reply with quote

What gets me is that I am tall and skinny... and I never even met him!!! How did he know I'd look like that???! Tho' I'm not in metal obviously.

I have to admit that I am kind of a fan. But I also love Rodin and Claudel. Rodin's house, which is a museum in Paris is lovely too. Especially in the summer. I would love to move there... or maybe get the job of assistant curator there! What a place to work!

I am sure you'll enjoy it Madame. The curators/exhibition officers will be hoping that you will and that there will be more like you who will too!!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the visit made!

the joy of meeting those sculptures...

as I walked into the exhibition space..my first response was to hug them..could feel the energy...a couple alongside me ~ she older than he...we shared our feelings about where we were..

oh golly gosh how I could have hugged them...

"I could not understand it. All my statues ended up one centimeter high. One touch more and hop! the statue vanishes."

"His statues seem to belong to a bygone age, to have been discovered after night and time--who fashioned them cleverly--had corroded them to give them this feeling, at once soft and hard, of eternity passing. Or perhaps, they emerged from a crucible, the residue of terrible heat: the flames extinguished, that is what remains.

"But what flames!

"Giacometti once told me that he had the idea of sculpting a statue and then burying it. (One immediately thinks: "Let the earth be gentle to it.") Not for it to be discovered, or only much later when he himself and even the memory of his name would have disappeared.

"Was this burial an offering to the dead?..."

--Jean Genet.

search "giacometti chien"...I chatted with said chien Wink

the ongoing urge of creation methinks...music food paint dance language...the options of life...the gift!
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always remind me a bit of the statues on Easter Island. Something of the ancient about them. That 'worn away' look perhaps and that they are in bronze seems ancient to me.

As such they are a reminder that we humans, for all the terrible things we do to each other, cannot help but create wonderful things. Many years ago there was an exhibition of ancient Celtic jewellery at the British Museum. With the kind of primitive technology they had, they produced some of the most intricate and beautiful things and that's true elsewhere too.

Whether it's Roman glass, or Persian glass, Iznik tiles from Turkey or Netsuke from Japan... with relatively little they produced fabulous things. Giacometti (or Jack O'Metty as one Irish friend insisted he was called!) seems to remind us of that in his work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: