Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Interesting Topic, you should really check it out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Interesting Topic, you should really check it out! Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am going to ascend to my soap box for just a moment . Please bear with me.

Some of you may already know that I have some dear friends that had the terrible misfortune to spend their Christmas in Phuket. We were frantic trying to find any information we could about their status. Luckily they turned up on Good Morning America and we had our relief.

I am asking you all to find some small way you can help these poor people. Thank you.

"It's hot ham water."

Last edited by Erin on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news about your friends, Erin.

Here's a very informative blog covering all aspects of the tsunami, including how and where to help .....

http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com/
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, you rock!

The Red Cross is great too. I know the local Buddist monastaries are collecting food and clothing, check with one closest to you.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, Sweetness, what an amazing experience to find your friends that way...this volatile earth...island paradises....renamed now...

there are countless ways to assist ~ with $s: with thoughts, many, from the heart

this has crossed 3 civil wars....

I've no words...

tears...yet more water...

shalom
monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erin, what a relief to know your friends are safe.

this is a fabulous resource as well for those who want to donate or find an organization in need of volunteers.

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/international/earthquake/tsunami122604.aspx

i know, not everyone can give time and money, but, i hope we can hold everyone touched by this disaster in our hearts. those who have died or were injured , those who have lost friends, loved ones and everything they own. let’s not forget those who are able to come to the physical, emotional and spiritual aid of these victims. i pray that everyone has strength, healing and peace .

as painful and horrifying as this tragedy is, i weep with joy when i hear of the amazing efforts that people are making to help complete strangers. from setting up donation centers, making phone calls, to maintaining blogs for information – i could go on and on. the worst has, once again, brought out the best in people.

om mani peme hung.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Madame! Thanks Monkey!

I heard a story of a Thai family that took tourists into their home and although they themselves had lost so much, they took care of them like family. It sounds like that is an amazing trend in this disaster.

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are staying in on New Years Eve, and have donated the money we would spend on a night out to Red Cross. Others may like to do the same.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, that is a fantastic idea! I am catering a party that night, I think I will do the same with my earnings. Thanks for your help!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea Barbara! If you are hosting a party why not set up a donation box with envelopes for people to make a donation. No amount of money is ever going to make up for this horrendous disaster but every little bit helps.

Hey, to make it fun (life does go on, I'm not being crass) why not serve up the cuisine of one or two of the affected nations??

Erin, so glad you found out your friends are well! What a shock and joy to see them on the telly, must have been a wonderful feeling!
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David! I like your idea about making giving fun, it isn't crass. I know I am much more free with my wallet when I have had a glass or two of champagne. This way it is going to a good cause instead of a gaming table.

"It's hot ham water."
Juliana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I'm so glad to hear your friends are safe. I too had friends visiting their son, his Thai wife and new baby in Thailand, and just yesterday found out that they and all their family members are safe.

Barbara, we had already decided to do exactly what you're doing! We're staying in, and I'm cooking with what I've already got in the freezer and fridge rather than even going out to shop for expensive ingredients. This gives us even more to donate. Of course, we happened to have some very nice things in the house -- good steaks in the freezer, twice-baked potatoes, fresh cauliflower, salad, and there's a bottle of champagne I've been saving in the fridge...and I am still going to make Wolfgang Puck's Cookies and Cream Cheesecake...

...but we'll also be sparing some thoughts and energy for those who don't even have potable water during these difficult days and nights...
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, they say that how you welcome in the new year is how your spend the rest of the year. so, it sounds like many of us will be enjoying the company of those we love, eating good food while reaching out to help strangers with compassion and generosity for the next year.

i have to thank erin for providing the tsunamihelp url. i added it to my website yesterday and today i received a note from someone who was able to find out that two friends are alive because of the link. oddly enough, she was searching for a recipe to for apple crumble (a favorite comfort food) as a distraction when she saw the link on my site.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic idea to stay in and donate the money you would have spent celebrating out. We are eating out in Bangkok. Early dinner at Cabbages and Condoms (how good is that for a restaurant name? They give out condoms instead of after dinner mints) then back to our hotel to sleep!

With luck we'll see in the New Year (Adelaide time), but I doubt we'll be awake at midnight local time. Many places have canceled their celebrations out of respect for the victims of the tragedy. The much-loved Thai king lost one of his grandsons in the disaster.

Best wishes to all forum members for a Happy New Year

http://www.catchusifyoucan.info/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: