Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Documentaries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, Madame! Which was your favorite part?
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe, the beginning, Episode 1...the Stone Age stuff. I wonder at it all. That we are all threaded from that time...5000 years ago folk.

Judy, thanks for this thread...you, sweet one, keep us on course.
charlsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that many documentaries, but as I mentionned in a post about movies, "Hearts of darkness" is a great movie, about the making of "Apocalypse now". Really fascinating plunge into Coppola's own descent into hell during the making of this extraordinary movie.

There is a wonderful film called "Microcosmos", about the life of a small prairie, with insects as the stars ! Seen from a bug's point of view, a spring rain is a flood of biblical proportions !

Has anyone seen "La marche de l'empereur", about penguins ? Beautifully shot, simple, elegant. I know the dialogue track was modified for the US market, I think Morgan Freeman was hired to be the narrator, where in France we had 3, speaking for a mother, father and baby penguin.

On a more serious note, the Naudet brothers' account of 9/11 was riveting and heartbreaking.

If Michael Moore's "Farenheit 9/11" counts as a documentary, I add it to my list. The scariest movie I ever saw. Terrifying...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, I'm a fan of the Tudor episode myself. Lots of drama there. I liked the stone age one, too.

Charlsy - I think Microcosmos, March of the Penguins and (my favorite) Winged Migration were all made by the same filmmakers. Have you seen Winged Migration? If you liked the other two, I'm sure you'll like that one as well. As for the Naudet brothers film, is that the one that started out as a documentary about a rookie firefighter but then morphed into a 9/11 documentary? If that's the one, I've seen it too, and agree with you - very powerful.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlsy! Microcosmos ~ NOW you're talking. Our daughter brought it home one day...saying to me..."I just know you'll love this." ...'n oh how I did. The insect rolling that ball...I felt for it so much...as though I was watching some meadow-based Olympic Games. Exquisitely filmed.
MarieStrawberry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me - it's CLipperton : a french documentary about the desert island of clipperton (off the coast of mexico, an island which is shaped like a huge ring, the lagoon being one of its mysterious secrets.....)
It documents the day to day life of the research team who go there to uncover its secrets, observe and count the wildlife and the environment...
It is exciting, funny, beautiful, heartwarming (yes - watching crabs scurry around and mother and child birds) and the cinematography is very good!

I also like david attenbrough's work - the earth series, the oceans series, the secret life of plants/insects....

as you can see im a nature freak ... Laughing ... well, on the subject of documentaries....

I also like fashion documentaries - theyre so often funny - i just dont have much access to them.. Sad
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes to the fashion documentary!

a zilllion years ago I remember watching a series "The Year of the French"..12 part...one of the episodes was on Chantal Thomas ~ can picture the shoes, on newspaper, being spray painted ....almost just before the showing....THAT fringe of hers Wink

When I think of it...that series has stayed with me for years and years...deep in the subconscious...'n always waiting for me to return...

yep...a beauty...

Planet Earth...the episode on the mountains...the snow leopard in the snow!...the effort to bring back the kill for its wee one....up the mt down the mt...up the mt...'n so on...
bainst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend Amandla. It's about the place of South African protest music's place in the apartheid struggle. It is very well done. It took the filmmaker ten years to complete.
charlsy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe, "Microcosmos" and "Le peuple migrateur" have different directors, but the same producer, Jacques Perrin, a wonderful french actor. Christophe Barratier, who made "Les choristes", worked in the production team too, and Perrin played the part of the star choir boy as an older man. "March of the penguin" was made by an entirely different team. I have only seen parts of "Le peuple migrateur", and found it as beautiful as "Microcosmos", but "Microcosmos", with its small-turned-gigantic world, was really fascinating. "Microcosmos" also shared its composer, Bruno Coulais, with "Les Choristes", whereas "La marche de l'empereur" has an entirely enthralling soundtrack by a young french singer, Emilie Simon, who did everything from a computer, in her small apartment !

And you are right about the Naudet brothers film, it starts as the story of a rookie and turns into a gripping eyewitness, inside account of 9/11. I have to admit it made me cry, especially at the end, when both brothers, certain that the other is dead, meet back at the station. And I can still hear the sound of the unseen bodies, crashing down. Little said, but so much heartache implied.

Madameshawshank, right on the spot about "Microcosmos" ! By the way, I just loved "The Shawshank redemption". one of the very best movies made out of a S. King book. Perfect casting, acting and directing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am sure Lovely Judy d'Adelaide will allow me one film comment..even if in the doco thread....'twill be quick Jude!

The wonderful Tim Robbins....
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Falling Man" was recently shown on television. The title is from one of the photos of people falling ....September 11. It was a powerful piece. Have you seen it?

I found the interviews with the partners of those who had jumped both heartbreaking...and at the same time, particularly with one man....calming...I felt he had accepted the moment...he spoke of knowing that she didn't burn or choke....she flew as a bird for those few seconds...

However that may be not so....the more than one photo of the particular falling man showed him buffeted by wind or whatever...

I am intrigued by the fact that ..I'm not sure if it was on the day of Sept 11 or not...someone at the morgue stated that noone had jumped. It seems to be quite confronting for many people.

One family had been told their husband/father had been indentified as the falling man...they were in shock because they considered it to be suicide, and in accordance with their belief, he would have gone to the fires of hell. It was difficult to watch these folk....the weight of belief I guess...

Later, it was discovered not to be that particular man...another....

all in all much on which to reflect....

The figure of 200 or so was given....as to the number of people who chose to jump.

One can only imagine being in that situation...

One can only imagine....
queenla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last doco i saw was 'supersize me' about eating mcdonalds for three months.
it was hysterical in a ronald reagan kind of way. no wonder it shook mcworld up, pity it didn't delete them.
I love docos too. One of my old favs was ( oh, brain, please remember the name) about toads taking over queensland- groundbreaking, in format, and so funny.
is kath and kim a doco?!!!
Just saw guns in columbine- micheal moore- that was worth it too.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cane Toads ~ an unnatural history"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JG6X?v=glance

The dear things can't help being cane toads....'n naughty things, they wouldn't eat the cane grubs!

They simply kept on making more and more cane toads... Wink

not too sure about the dude that liked the sound of them going "POP!" as he ran over them....they can't help being cane toads....
laurie_m

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Dish Network satallite, you can watch the Documentary Channel. They have some very interesting programs! www.documentarychannel.com
queenla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Madam to the rescue- thank you!!!!
yes, that naughty man who liked that popping sound- did he drive a comby?
dear me, you are making laugh!!!!!
How can one forget things?
don't answer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: