Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Pad Thai
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good fish sauce brand is Tiparos, if you can find it. Around here, it's easily obtained, inexpensive, and authentic. It's pretty stinky, but there's not really a substitute that produces that particular underlying Thai flavor.

And green papaya salad is one of my favorities! Along with lab gai, a chopped chicken salad. We have some great Thai restaurants nearby.

All of this reminds me, once again, of how very lucky we in the Bay Area are with the wealth of culinary delights we have at our disposal. We can find almost any kind of restaurant if we want to go out, and--even better--can find almost any kind of ingredient if we want to cook at home.

If you're planning a "foodie holiday", I highly recommend San Francisco and its environs!
eileen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egg-celent tamarind imagery!
reminded me of documentary teaching korean 'war brides' how to cook for their american hubbies....it was all about opening packages and adding water. no fresh stuff or flavours here, eh? Shocked
Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used Squid Brand nam pla http://www.squidbrand.com/squideng/index.php
I use it in curries, soups, chilli sauces i just love the unique roasty taste it gives (boy it stinks to high hell though)

Jay Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: