Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Savory Side Dish
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Savory Side Dish Reply with quote

Hello, here in Utah there is a tiny (and I do mean tiny) hint of fall in the air each morning now, before the temp revs back up to 98 degrees! (That's 512 C, quite warm). Here is a mild and tasty dish to accompany, and I hope compliment, the heartier meat (and pumpkin!) dishes to come..

Onion Bread Pudding -- from
Lee Bailey's Good Parties

6 tablespoons (3/4) stick unsalted butter
3 cups coarsely chopped onion
4 cups milk
5 eggs lightly beaten
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
several dashes Tabasco sauce
4 thin slices white bread, crusts trimmed and cut into quarters

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Put a kettle of water on to heat.
Melt half of the butter and add the onion. Stir to coat. Cover and cook very slowly for 10 minutes. Do not let it brown. While the onion is wilting, mix all remaining ingredients (including the rest of the butter, melted) except the bread. Lightly butter a two-quart casserole and put in the onion. Pour in the milk-egg mixture. Stir lightly to mix. Place the bread squares on top, cutting smaller pieces to fill in. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, surrounded by hot water. To test for doneness, insert a knife in the center. It is done when knife comes out clean. Let rest a few minutes before serving.

I've used both yellow and white onions--either way it's pretty mild.
I don't bother trimming the bread, and I slice it thick, not thin.
This is golden when it comes out of the oven and delicious.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds delicious! I love bread pudding. But why, do you suppose, he says not to brown the onions? Well, I'm a rebel — I'm gonna brown. Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I've read 2 or 3 maybe 3 or 4 recipes that caution me not to let the onions brown -- ?? -- I was gonna ask YOU!
Maybe it's like Julia Child using white pepper instead of black, just for a prettier dish. Refined, ya know, like us.

I say
Brown away..

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I get a kitchen going, I'll make it with browned onions and if Lee Bailey shows up to stop me, we'll have a conversation about it.

I'll let you know what he says. Wink

Maybe you're right that it's an aesthetic thing since the ones on the surface are going to cook considerably more. Still, caramelized onions have sooo much more flavor. I'll settle for some char happily.

Anyway, it sounds like a lovely alternative to potatoes, etc. with a roast. I could imagine adding some sautéed apples and a little sage too if the roast were pork.
birgit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of bread pudding: there is a recipe of an unbelievably tasty dish in Michael Roberts' book "Parisian Home Cooking". It takes some time, but your patience (and occasional stirring the first 45 minutes of preparation) will be rewarded with such a deep flavor you'd never expected of simple white champignons. As I think it works with most bread puddings: they taste even better sliced and fried in a bit of butter until crusty the following day. A hopeful search even yielded a link Smile

http://www.dwanollah.com/prehistoric/foof/painfiede.htm

The onion-bread pudding recipe reminds me of our popular "Zwiebelkuchen" (= onion cake), it's like an upside down version. Here you've got a breadlike crust (newly prepared with yeast dough) and an onion-egg-crème fraîche or sour cream mixture on top. It can be topped with caraway seeds (to help your stomach fighting all the onions) and finely diced smoked ham. It's commonly served still warm with lots of sparkling new wine.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, birgit. I'm trying to taste it in my mind ('cause anything with lots of mushrooms has to be good) and I'm having a hard time getting a bead on the texture. This is like a mousse or custard of pureéd mushrooms with eggs and breadcrumbs topped by the fresh wild mushrooms? It sounds very interesting.

I've only recently heard that caraway can be used as a digestive. I always thought they were just used for the distinctive flavor.
swan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
before the temp revs back up to 98 degrees! (That's 512 C, quite warm).

uhm, sweetheart...you're mixing up your conversions, 98 F is 36.6C.
Your 512C is 5 times the boiling point of water Smile , 953.6 F....!
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOH Zweibelkuchen! One of my all time FAVES and full of happy memories of Hanweiler, the tiny wine growing village in Germany where I lived for 3 years. Every fall, in late September, all the grape growers would open their caves and serve neuwein and zweibelkuchen. City folks would come into our little town for the day to eat and drink. Lots of music in the evening. Crisp fall air. Makes me nostalgic! Smile

I also thought this recipe sounded zweibelkuchen-ish!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birgit, that recipe has 5 pounds of mushrooms in it! (Therefore most delicious.) I have a special important grey folder on my shelf which contains Mushroom Recipes Only.

swan--I was just teasing! to amuse the Metric munchkins..
I know that 24C is a real nice day!

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is Zweibelkuchen an onion pizza?

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like an onion tart. Very creamy actually...
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, you make it all sound so real and so colorful. I wish you'd tell us more about the places you've lived and what you've learned from them.
birgit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
This is like a mousse or custard of pureéd mushrooms with eggs and breadcrumbs topped by the fresh wild mushrooms?

The mixture gets quite dry in these first 45 minutes, because the mushrooms release all their liquid. Thyme and Sherry help to intensify the flavor, it gets very earthy and concentrated. After the addition of all the other ingredients the dough has a texture like, say, a yeast dough which is too sticky to be kneaded. Or like dumpling dough. Hm, not easy to describe, but the author says, the texture of the finished loaf reminds him of Boston brown bread, maybe that helps?

Rainey wrote:
I've only recently heard that caraway can be used as a digestive. I always thought they were just used for the distinctive flavor.

Yes, that is, so to say, the secret of digestible "Sauerkraut" Wink

Donna wrote:
Every fall, in late September, ...

Ah, and yes, soon it's Zwiebelkuchen-time again Smile the new wine ist already available (coming from italy at the moment, they seem to be faster than the locals ...), I've spotted some at the grocery's (and I have to admit, one bottle disappeared mysteriously shortly after bringing it home ... Wink )

Last edited by birgit on Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounded interesting--I have the whole recipe here if someone wants it.

Bread and Onion Sausage
(Knepfle au Torchon)

This classic Germanic dish was originally developed at a time when flour was scarce and not a single crumb of bread was to be wasted. Brioche and challah are generally used because of their capacity to absorb the onion-flavored egg mixture. The egg-soaked crumbs are rolled in cheesecloth to form a large sausage, then poached. The cooked egg holds the crumbs together. The sausage is then sliced and sauteed in browned butter to hearty perfection.

It contains bread eggs leeks onions garlic etc.

I've never tried this, sounds like a project, but it appeals to me.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
birgit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhm, sounds a bit like a variation of "Serviettenknödel" (napkin dumpling). It is quite tricky to keep the dough particles stick together, especially while poaching and as well through using bread which contains milk, so the cheesecloth is helpful. I haven't heard of garlic and leeks, though (Serviettenknödel usually contain as condiment diced onions and curly parsley fried in a little butter until fragrant). So I'd love to hear the recipe Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: