Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Savory Side Dish
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gladly, birgit!

... BREAD AND ONION SAUSAGE ...

1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 medium leeks (white part only) finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt and pepper

1 1/4 cups half and half
4 eggs
2 cups 1/2 inch cubes stale challah with crust, toasted until golden (about 1/2 loaf)
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg

corn oil
2 beef bouillion cubes
1/4 cup butter, heated to dark golden and cooled
sour cream (garnish)

Melt unsalted butter in heavy large skillet over low heat. Stir in onion, leeks, garlic, shallots. Cover, cook about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper. Remove from heat. Beat half and half with eggs 'til well blended. Stir bread, chives, and nutmeg into vegetables. Blend in egg mixture. Set aside about 30 minutes to absorb.
Bring large amount of water to rapid boil in stockpot. Meanwhile, cut three 12 X 36 inch rectangles of cheesecloth, stack to form 3 layers. Brush top layer generously with corn oil Turn bread mixture onto cloth about 6 inches from one short end and several inches from sides. Fold 6 inch border over, then continue to roll mixture up in cloth. Twist ends to enclose and tie securely with string. Add boullion cubes to boiling water, dissolve. Add sausage, return water to boil, reduce heat and simmer until firm to touch, about 40 minutes. Cool to lukewarm before removing cloth. Brush with some browned butter. Cool completely before slicing and frying in browned butter.

Like I said, it sounds like quite a project!

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, birgit, I do know Boston brown bread so that makes it much more clear.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A request, if anyone happens to have the book "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by D. Madison--

I'm looking for a lentil dish with chopped hard cooked eggs and onions that is served over French country bread. I don't know the name.

Thank you!

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
swan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy oh dear, Gingerpale, could you tell I was very tired and very stressed after a busy day at work?!

Anyway...Smile

these recipes sounds yummy. Time to get the onions out!
Maybe flämkuchen, which may resemble onion pizza a little, but thinner crust, no tomato, just sweet, soft onions and some sour cream, and, if you like, thinly sliced bacon or pancetta.
birgit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale, thanks a lot, that's really a project, even for onion lovers Smile and simmering the sausage in beef bouillon sounds interesting, too. I think it's amazing how even small quantity shifts with ingredients end up in a completely different texture, resulting in dishes which are delicious in a new way.

As a comparison there is a recipe for Serviettenknödel/napkin dumplings here (4th recipe from the bottom of the page): http://www.virtualvienna.net/community/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=89
these are often served with goulasch or with a mushroom sauce Smile

A good sounding Zwiebelkuchen/onion tart recipe I've found here:
http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&replynum=5&threadnum=304233&catnum=&headnum=
although I would take only 3 cups of flour (and perhaps reduce the amount of milk a bit, but this depends on the flour used), as well as dice the onions for a more delicate texture. For the desired mellow flavor the onions really should only be sauteed until golden, exceptionally no browning this time Wink

Finally I can recommend a book from a series which is known for pretty good authenticity here. It's from 1979 (and the photos are of course 70ies style as well) and it's called "Swabia, A Culinary Tour". Astonishingly there are still some available, e.g. here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3893930930/ref=sr_11_1/002-2052945-0339208?ie=UTF8[/url]
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I reading and typing instead of chopping onions? Just stupid, I guess. birgit, I had to educate (edugoogle) myself about Swabia--no lack of good food there, and Albert Einstein! The zweilbelkuchen very close to a Vidalia Onion Pie, and the flamkuchen (mentioned by swan) more pizza-like.
The picture of 'napkin dumplings' with mushroom sauce! my oh my

"Why American Women Don't Get Fat HAHAHAHAHA"

And onions are so cheap! Mushrooms less so, but of course worth it. Thank you!

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
birgit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I'm glad to be of help Smile

For the sake of fairness it has to be added that most wine regions have tasty onion tart recipes, e.g. Alsace, etc.;
as well as it's also true that the swabians have some very delicious dishes worth trying Smile

I've googled a bit about Vidalia onion pie. Does it commonly contain cheese?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer very little cheese on this, but cheese is used, as a topping rather than a "mixed in" ingredient.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
birgit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

... it seems that I'm going to buy a lot of onions next week Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: