Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Créme Fraîche
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Créme Fraîche Reply with quote

I picked this recipe up from SlashFood this am. They got it from About.com:

Créme Fraîche

Recipe By: About.com

• 1 cup whipping cream
• 2 tablespoon buttermilk

Combine ingredients well in a glass jar and cover.

Let stand at room temperature (about 70 degrees F.) for 8 to 24 hours, or until thickened.

Stir well and refrigerate.

I've got some brewing on the counter right now.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, and now what is THE most delicious way to use it?

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything!!!!

Use it on jacket potatoes, in sauces that normally use cream, on fruit - in fact anywhere that you would use fresh or soured cream you can use it.

The flavour is between fresh and sour cream, so it is really versatile. Also it seems to be easier to digest than fresh cream and seems to be lighter on the palate and stomach... whether it is or not is another matter... Laughing
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love the flavor "tangy", in everything, sweets to meats, bread to beets. (Mmm--Harvard beets.) And I know buttermilk improves many things!

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great for sauces since it doesn't separate when exposed to heat.

Me, I'm gonna try some créme fraîche ice cream before the summer's over.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a soup recipe over at All Recipes that calls for creme fraiche--it sounds SO good, called Mystic Mushroom and Quinoa Chowder. Summer must hang around long enough for ice cream, but finally give way to Fall soups.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution: don't use "ultra-pasteurized" cream. You'll find that it won't thicken properly. (You'll also find that this is the sort that separates in the frig, if you've got leftover whipped cream. Sorry, I don't know the why of it, just that it happens...) I think the "ultra" part halts the process. Unfortunately, that's what's available in most groceries.

Bellweather Farms makes decent commercial creme fraiche and is widely available, but it's pricey. If you've got a Trader Joe's near you, they carry it at nearly half the regular price in other stores.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about TJs. I've found créme fraîche tough to locate here in my part of the Valley.

I made some this am with what I had on hand (Alta Dena Manufacturers' Cream* and 2% cultured buttermilk). It got thick enough to hold upside down without dripping in just over 2 hours. I would describe as like softly whipped cream.

* I started getting this in half gallons for ice cream because it's so much cheaper at the wholesale grocery than pints and half pints from the retailers. Alta Dena tells me it's higher in butterfat content and has carageenan in it to stabilize and prevent overwhipped cream from going to butter. They didn't tell me and I didn't ask about whether or not it was pasturized.
georgia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! I've had hit-and-miss success making creme fraiche at home. So many variables...When I get back from my travels, I'll see if I can find Alta Dena anywhere around here. BTW, it's the "ultra" pasteurized that prevents the thickening.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia- I don't think you're going to find it. It's a relatively small Los Angeles county dairy. What I'd look for is just good whipped cream. And, apparently, avoid the ultra pasturized. Wink

Maybe it was the fact that the buttermilk was made from a culture and apparently still retained it. I know once upon a time I used to use dry packaged cultures to make créme fraîche and yogurt. Now that they've gotten harder to locate, happily, this other — even easier — method comes along! Very Happy
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia, have a nice trip--you're taking your mother to London, right?
Have some of that clotted Devonshire cream at a "cream tea" while you're there!

Rainey, does the creme fraiche retain the little clots of butter from the buttermilk, once it's thick?

All this talk of cream and cream-like substances is making me crazy, I feel like I could drink a quart of it straight.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 2% so I didn't see much in the way of congealed butterfat. At any rate once I stirred it after it had thickened none was evident to my memory.

Of course, if you cook with it, the clotted butterfat would melt anyway.
scorched peanut bar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creme fraiche......a stint in Paris got me addicted to the stuff. Here, in Australia, it has only really become available recently and it's usually quite expensive. Sour cream is widely used here. I like to finely chop capers, squeeze in some lemon juice and mix with the creme fraiche - only to dollop it onto a slab of pan fried salmon. Crunchy corners compulsory.
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorched peanut bar wrote:
I like to finely chop capers, squeeze in some lemon juice and mix with the creme fraiche - only to dollop it onto a slab of pan fried salmon. Crunchy corners compulsory.

Yum that sounds fantastic scorched peanut bar! I always wondered why I could never find creme fraiche in the supermarket here in Aus. and thought it must be a fancy name for sour cream- obviously not Embarassed

Now that I'm enlightened, I will have to try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing it Rainey.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discovered by refreshing mine with new cream, that once you have this going you can keep it going very easily by just stirring it up and letting it sit again. No need for additional buttermilk once the culture is alive in the existing créme fraîche.

There's something so interesting about eating fresh foods like bread and CF and yogurt that are actually living things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: