Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego restaurants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comforting words and empathy. It's so marvellous to have friends that you never even met, and for this, I am thankful to this blog and it's creator, the gifted Clotilde.
Meanwhile my life is getting more coherent, and I even succeeded to get my Visa for the States. It's a long and quite expensive procedure, but I got one for 10 years. I hope to be healthy enough to use it all those years (I don't want even think how old I'll be 10 years from now..)
I'm still open to new suggestions for LA-SF.
Thank you again for your kindness,

No more war, we need some peace so we can enjoy life and have some good meals ...
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as promised, here are a few of my finds in the 5 months I've lived in LA... most of them on the Westside because that's where I live and spend most of my time.

Japanese: check out the stretch of Sawtelle Boulevard between LaGrange and Olympic, which is called Little Osaka. There are loads of restaurants serving every imaginable style of Japanese food (sushi, yakitori, noodles, curry, shabu-shabu etc.). The only one I've tried so far is a shabu-shabu restaurant called Mizu 212. Not especially cheap, but lunch is more economical than dinner, and it's tasty and lots of fun.

Persian: there are lots of restaurants in Westwood/West LA; my favourite of the ones I've tried is Shamshiri Grill.

Mexican: Lula in Santa Monica for a nice sit-down meal (the tamales are fabulous), The Best Fish Taco in Ensenada in Los Feliz for... well, the name says it all. It's just a stand, but the food is more than worth the lack of creature comforts.

Cafes: Amandine on Wilshire in West LA (the best French pastries I've found in LA) and Espresso Profeta in Westwood (the best espresso I've found outside Europe)

Hope that helps, and that your trip is all you hope for.
simona

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rachel. My LA friend is now in Tel Aviv and I'll show her your suggestions. I remember little OSAKA ten years ago when I was in LA, but I understand it's much more developped today. I'll be in touch when in LA.

No more war, it interferes with life.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona, I'm so sorry about your loss.

I have two recommendations and they both make me long for the West Coast! One is a small Caribbean shack of a restaurant near Santa Monica called Cha Cha Chicken. The food is fresh & delicious, but more than that I loved the image it left in my memory - a warm patio in the middle of the city. It's good for a (very) casual lunch if you're in the area. http://www.chachachicken.com/

If you are looking for places to stay on your way up to SF, I recommend Pigeon Point lighthouse hostle (again, very casual). It's right on a quiet point on the ocean - secluded & peaceful and you can cook for yourself in the kitchen there. http://norcalhostels.org/pigeon/

All my best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: