Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

glass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: glass Reply with quote

well now ~ I must admit I've had a love affair with glass for as long as I can remember...the old green stuff from the '20s, the massive Belgian and French chunks of 50 different colours in the glass windows of the National Library in Canberra (Australia) ~ and now yet something else to take my breath away....

I came across a variation of what you'll see on this page:
http://www.artfabrication.com/artists/lamonte_dress8.htm

the one I saw at the National Gallery in Canberra has a bow at the back..

exquisite! and how glad I am to be alive at this time to almost faint with its beauty...or should I write, the beauty I see...because as I'm discovering in life ...what is beauty to one, isn't necessarily beauty to another...

I raise my glass to glass

any glass stories?
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MadameSS,
It's nice to see someone tie in art with food. As food lovers and art dealers Melanie and I are really into the mix of the two. We love old glass and have a nice collection of old Bohemian cut crystal. Nothing feels like old glass. We went to Venice and developed a real fondness for Murano too. I never liked it until I visited Venice for the first time... it all just looks so "right" there.
Cheers, Ed
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,

I grew up in the land of Dale Chihuly and have spent many a class learning techniques for working glass. I share your affinity for fine glass and agree this piece is achingly beautiful.

"It's hot ham water."
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Here is a good question: What is better to bake a pie in, a glass or tin pie pan?
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
Madame,

I grew up in the land of Dale Chihuly and have spent many a class learning techniques for working glass. I share your affinity for fine glass and agree this piece is achingly beautiful.

I'm guessing, then, you must be good at sugar work? I think that can really be quite beautiful too (when it doesn't get to gaudy).
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank, how wonderful of you to share that! What a magnificent illusion of a body within the fluid shape! I assume the body shape is ground out of the interior of the glass?

I've always been facsinated with the paradoxes of glass: made from the earth and so ethereal; sharp enough to cut flesh but capable of quintessential smoothness; fragile yet incredibly strong; brittle in our everyday experience of it and yet capable of amazing flexibility; it's fluidity can be captured in stable objects; crystal clear or embodying a dazzling array of colors. What an astounding medium! And how beautifully used in the artistry you shared with us!
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,
I do alright with sugar. You may have noticed through other posts that I am a bit clumsy, which makes me vunerable to many sugar burns.

"It's hot ham water."
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin mentioned Chihuly glass.

My former work in the antiques and interior design world exposed me to antique glass, which I enjoy trememdously and have owned much of my life.

But then I went to a lecture and design demonstration by Dale Chihuly on the opening day of his glass exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art 10 or so years ago. Then I toured the exhibit of glass & fell in love with the colors and organic shapes. Many of the pieces in the exhibit were "bowl-ish" sculptures, and I could look at them forever. Some of his work reminded me of fantastic sea creatures, fantasy jellyfish.

I later saw a television program (PBS, I think) about him and his team of glassblowers. At that time, they were making hollow "shapes" and tossing them into various bodies of water in Europe. Many of the pieces smashed & it seemed a waste. Although I understood the idea of the traveling "art installation" of hollow glass shapes floating on water, I prefer his designs that were in the museum exhibit.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: forumers... Reply with quote

Darlings...today I've had a case of the blah blah blahs...and the tonic? your glass thoughts...I've read them ALMOST as quickly as I devour Queen Clotilde's ~ what a diverse quirky scrumptious bunch of forumers!

thanks in a zillion languages...

a quotation junkie am I...so this from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross:

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within."
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
Rainey,
I do alright with sugar. You may have noticed through other posts that I am a bit clumsy, which makes me vunerable to many sugar burns.

oooooo! I'm cringing at the thought!

When I was about 12 a friend and I, having read about old-fashioned taffy pulls, decided to make some. Naturally, we burned the sugar but, worse, we buttered our hands and poured the molten sugar into them just as the recipe said. Come to think of it, it might have said something about cooling it a tad, but I was then (as I am still) more impulsive than smart. Shocked
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY GOSH!!! That must have been like napalm!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of it exactly that way, but I guess that's exactly the effect they (who are these people that could want to do that to someone?!?) were aiming at. Shocked But, then it sounds like you've had those experiences too.

I'm so sorry! But I bet you got something much more beautiful for your trouble.

I am fascinated by watching people work with glass and with sugar. Very Happy

But, madameshawshank, I'm embarrassed to have lead your thread astray. You shared such a beautiful object with us!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: glass threads Reply with quote

no no no no no! ...it's fine because glass is glass is glass is glass..and threads?...well they enjoy the unexpected journey...too often a thread has to stay with its kind...as it were...with this thread, a different journey...

am glad the gang has enjoyed the image...it has touched my soul..of that I'm sure...
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank, I think you are a treasure! You don't seem to post so often but every one is thought provoking and delightful. Actually, I've enjoyed everyone's company around here. It's an extremely nice group! But you're special.
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second that.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: