Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Swallow's Pork and Tomatillo Stew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: The Swallow's Pork and Tomatillo Stew Reply with quote

I have been reading and enjoying Ruth Reichl's two autobiographical books Tender at the Bone and Comfort Me with Apples. We're from the same tumultuous era and the things she writes about are very real to me even though I was growing up north of her in NYS and in Ohio while she was in NYC and Berkeley.

I just love things that complete a circle and it was an especial delight to see that she provides a recipe for the following stew. Something that is very clearly a version of this recipe came to me a number of years ago when I was a pre-school teacher and one of my favorite parents brought her Pork, Tomatillo and Black Bean Chili in for our annual casserole sale. I loved it then and I loved reading about it again. I wonder if she was from Berkeley and ate at The Swallow.

I'll have to ask Rachel if The Swallow is there still and to walk down Channing Way where Reichl lived for me until I get up there again.

Hope someone will enjoy this too. If you're not familiar with tomatillos this is a great way to get to know them.

The Swallow's Pork and Tomatillo Stew
Serves 6

• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 8 large cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 pounds lean pork, cut in cubes
• salt
• pepper
• 1 bottle dark beer
• 12 ounces orange juice
• 1 pound tomatillos, quartered
• 1 pound Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 large onions, coarsely chopped
• 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
• 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
• 1 14-ounce can black beans
• juice of 1 lime
• 1 cup sour cream

Heat oil in a large casserole. Add garlic cloves. Add pork, in batches so as not to crowd, and brown on all sides. Remove pork as the pieces get brown on all sides. Remove pork as the pieces get brown and add salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, put beer and orange juice in another pot. Add tomatillos and tomatoes, bring to a boil, lower heat, and cook about 20 minutes, or until tomatillos are soft. Set aside.

When all pork is browned, pour off all but about a tablespoon of the oil in the pan. Add coarsely chopped onions and cook about 8 minutes, or until soft. Stir, scraping up bits of meat. Add chopped cilantro and pepper and salt to taste.

Put pork back into pan. Add tomatillo mixture and chopped jalapeños. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover partially and cook about 2 hours.

Taste for seasoning. Add black bean and cook 10 minutes more.

Stir lime juice into sour cream.

Serve chili with rice, with sour cream-lime juice mixture on the side as a topping.
Donna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rainey - I actually have this recipe somewhere - don't know who gave it to me. And I wasn't aware it was a Ruth Reichl recipe. I've made it once to HUGE raves from son and husband!

It can be made in a slow cooker for an easy work day meal. I just love walking in the door and smelling my dinner - already ready to eat! Laughing
Zora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Good soup! Reply with quote

I just discovered this forum and this recipe. Made it last night and boy howdy is it good!

It looks a bit like a Brazilian black bean soup recipe I tried many years ago -- has black beans and orange juice in common. But that recipe was a dud and this one is a keeper. Thanks for posting it.
emilyj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a tomatillo before! Does anyone know if they are grown in Australia? They look really interesting, what do they taste like?

Whatever they are, this recipe looks really good.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if they grow in Australia, emily. But here is a link to an article which provides info, a pic and also the botanical name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatillo I bet you could ask a local university if it's (using the botanical name) grown there under any other name.

Tomatillos have quite a unique flavor. I'm not sure what to recommend to substitute for them.

I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe, Zora. If you have a chance to read Reichl's books, they're really satisfying. And she has several other interesting recipes besides that one that I look forward to trying myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: