Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Music and films
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Mark Knopfler, I think he was the only choice the makers of The Princess Bride would consider. And wasn't he just perfect for it? The music really fit well with the movie (which I love!)

Charlsy, I liked Horner's work on Mask of Zorro and Apollo 13. I hated Braveheart so much I didn't even notice the music, so I'll have to take your word regarding its quality. As far as I'm concerned, it would be the movie's sole redeeming characteristic.
charlsy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Zoe, Knopfler's music for "Princess bride" was as delightful as the movie. sometimes heavenly combinations do happen in films ! and that one was a perfect example.

As for "Braveheart", if you hated the movie, I don't think you'd like the music, it was in total synch with it. If you liked "Titanic" and remember the music, it's about the same mood, scottish instead of irish of course for "Braveheart", with bagpipes thrown in!

There is this one line in "The longest day" when a soldier rants about a coming troop with bagpipes in the lead, saying "what a racket ! only the Irish know how to play the pipes." The soldier is played by Sean Connery... Makes me laugh every time !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Knopfler wrote the music for one of my favorite films, Local Hero. That lovely movie wouldn't have been quite the same without his evocative score.
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really notice the music unless it is extraordinary. I consider film music to be down on my list of movie or music priorities.

Caveat: many of the Westerns that I like have memorable film music which I can enjoy outside the context of the film.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Music and films Reply with quote

Sarape,

Oh yes, the Magnificent Seven sprang to mind when I read your caveat. But also the music for the trilogy of Leone Spag. Westerns. Everyone knows that little riff from 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: