Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Les Oeufs De Paris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Les Oeufs De Paris Reply with quote

What is the deal with Parisians and eggs? I am not talking about consumption, no, I'm talking about the throwing of them.
When Phil and I were in Paris a few months back we noticed eggs all over the sidewalks, buildings and in several different districts. Today I finally caught last weeks episode of "Project Runway", and someone was throwing them at the designers and models.
Is this mere coincidence, or is there and egg epidemic dans les rue de Paris?

"It's hot ham water."
charlsy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's just Paris, or France, but eggs are sometimes an ingredient used in demonstrations, be they friendly or protest. It is quite common to throw eggs at someone when you disagree with his ideas, politics, whatever... last year a former french prime minister got egg on his head when visiting the "FĂȘte de l'HumanitĂ©", the yearly festival organized by the french communist party. The recipient of this attention was from another leftist party... This year he was welcomed more heartily, minus the eggs ! I guess eggs are a good way to "mark" the one you disagree with, not as hard as tomatoes, and very visible and sticky, plus available all year round, and cheap ! And the effect of the egg exploding !
Eggs are also often used in school/high school/college traditional street outings before exam periods, at the start of a new term, or a set date linked with the history of a particular school. Students roam the streets in groups, often wearing Halloween-like disguises, and usually engage in "fights" with other groups, generously pelting them with eggs and flour ! Delightful results... I once took part, in my college days, in such an outing. I just jumped fully dressed inthe bathtub on return. Flour and eggs in my long curly hair, a joy to clean !
Of course, everyone walking in the vicinity of such outings is well inspired to stay as far as possible from the happy participants, or run the risk of collateral damage ! Needless to say, monuments, cars, windows, can't move and get redecorated !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Charlsy! We were in Paris at the beginning of the student riots and stayed quite close to where most of the action was.

Mystery solved!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: