Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

American foods in Paris
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakerswife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Carrefour is yours? Part-Dieu?? I have only found cheddar at Les Halles in the past...
Ann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Came across this site by accident and decided to register to comment on Leader Price! (as it has been mentioned several times)

As someone else said, you can buy the brand at Franprix as I believe they are the same group. There is an actual Leader Price store at 272 Rue de Vaugirard in Paris. You can get almost anything with the Leader Price brand name e.g. food, household items (tissues, toilet rolls) etc. We are convinced they are made by major manufacturers and are a LOT cheaper! For example, something you might pay 2.75 euros for can cost only 1.50 euros under the Leader Price name. (around 40% cheaper) This really adds up when doing your weekly shop!

Many of their food dishes appear to be identical to the well known French brand Fleury Michon - identical food, packaging, date print etc. once you take the Leader Price label off. Their ice creams are not bad either!

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that on...

(I think Picard frozen food shops also have some good meals. Their 'Petit Trianon Macaron aux framboises' (cake with raspberries and macaroon-type sponge) is excellent with a dab of cream on top. Enjoy!

Ann, an English Rose in Paris
bakerswife

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: More cheese questions! Reply with quote

Hi all, hope everyone is enjoying the Fall weather...For those of you in France, what readily available cheese would you use to make quesadillas? Mozzarella? Edam? Cheddar is NOT readily available in any of the shops near me, so that is out, and of course actual Mexican cheeses (which were easy to find Stateside) are not available. I make two different kinds of quesadillas--one is a regular quesadilla with queso fundido, monterey jack, or some other cheese that melts beautifully, and the other is a cream cheese quesdilla with chipotle sauce. For the second I think I might try a very mild goat cheese (like Petit Billy), but for the first I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? It's my birthday this week and I'm craving Mexican food! TIA!! Very Happy
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried cooking with it, but would a mimolette work? It is an orangy coloured cheese which darkens as it ripens and gets more and more tasty as it ripens. If I get a craving for a strong cheese (more like a vintage or tasty than a goat or blue) I go for a really aged mimolette.

Also comte that is aged can be tasty grated over a dish. Maybe that would be suitable?

As I said, I don't normally cook with the cheeses here, usually they don't last long enough for that..... Laughing
Deste

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Debbie's suggestion of Comte for M.J. substitute. Fontina also might have a similar mildness, but its consistancy is a bit more runny.

I just find it puzzling that across the channel you can't get a really good English cheese like cheddar!!!

Reminds me of that episode on CHEF when Chef represented Great Britain in a cooking contest held in France. Required to use only ingredients of his native country, and finding his bottle of English wine misplaced, he scurried frantically about only to be met with the most amazing expressions of disbelief in local wine shops when asking Frenchmen for a bottle of English wine...
bakerswife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deste wrote:

I just find it puzzling that across the channel you can't get a really good English cheese like cheddar!!!

Believe me, you can't!! Or rather, in some specialty shops you can find mild cheddar, and at La Grande Epicerie in Paris you can find Stilton and two kinds of cheddar (but IMO none are that great, and don't compare to Neal's Yard Dairy or other quality English cheesemakers, or Vermont or Oregon cheddar for that matter!). When I expressed dismay over this fact to my French husband, he said, "But the English don't make good cheese..." I disputed this fact with examples like Stilton, Double Gloucester, and so on, but he still refuses to believe that there are good English cheeses. Rolling Eyes I am just going to have to drag him to England with me and force him to try some of their wonderful cheeses! It's hard to convince some French people that there is room in the world for good French cheeses AND good English (and American) cheeses.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I haven't found Fontina yet either (and I need it for some Italian recipes) but I have a few addresses of some specialty shops here with a lot of Italian products. I will try some of the other suggestions though! Thanks for the help! Smile
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakerswife,

I love to use chevre in my quilceda's. My favorite combo is orange bell pepper's, jalepeno's cut into strips, on a tortilla toasted with chevre. It is so yummy and quick.

"It's hot ham water."
fannie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: cream cheese substitute Reply with quote

I posted in another thread in this forum about where to find American foods but this one seems more current.

I bought some bagels the other day and went searching for a lesser expensive cream cheese substitute than purchasing Philadelphia (which, quite frankly is not that great and has tons of additives and preservatives). I went out on a limb and tried the Les recettes de Mme Loik (you can find it at most grocery stores, next to the kiri, creme fraiche etc). It was a great substitute, and tastes much like whipped cream cheese. Probably not a great idea to cook with it (i.e. cheesecake) but it is great spread on bagels. There is even a ciboulette-echalotte version.

cheers

fannie

bakerswife

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Fannie, I will try it next time I see it! Smile
Ann

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about good English cheddar cheese, I did buy some at the Bon Marche supermarket in the 7th district of Paris a while ago under the brand name 'Somerset' cheddar. (Somerset is an area in South West England) Otherwise, take a weekend in London and go to any supermarket (or Harrods, preferably) and stock up! I believe you can freeze certain cheeses. You must go to Harrod's in Knightsbridge, London. Nowhere in Paris comes close!
bakerswife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann, yes I know, I am already dreaming of a shopping trip to London! But from Lyon, it's a bit longer than from Paris, and I don't see it happening for a few months at least. Sigh!
Monica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't fault you for missing what you miss, but I don't think velveeta or kool-aid would be on the top of my list if I moved away. Smile At least kool-aid would be cheap for friends and family to ship to you, well, the non-sugar-added packets. I can't believe the prices people are quoting for American imports. I would really miss the Mexican cheeses and cheddar, too. Right now I'm craving British cookies called Jammie Dodgers, so perhaps it's time to make a snail-mail swap with my friends in the UK. I hope you find good substitutes for your cravings!
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chevre quilceda's sound fabulous Erin. Might have to try that for lunch one day.

Every time I go to London (or anywhere in UK for that matter) I bring back heaps of goodies for myself and a few friends here. They also do the same when they go. Some things you just cannot find in Paris. There are substitutes of course, but when you have a craving and nothing will do but the real thing, then it doesn't matter how good your substitute is.

My Mum just went back to Australia after visiting us for a few weeks. When she arrived her suitcase was overweight.... it had vegemite, bundy rum, etc etc etc etc.... Laughing She complained that she had no room for her own stuff in there, then proceeded to "borrow" all my clothes while here.... nothing worse than your Mum getting revenge for all the times you "borrowed" something out of her wardrobe Wink

Leader Price has stores all over Paris and France. If you look them up on the internet you will find a lot of listings.

Every now and then Monoprix surprises me with something absolutely unfrench (taste wise). I normally find that I am the only buyer and can go back and find the same amount on the shelf that I left there last time...
Ann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, bakerswife!

I have just come across a website that posts food, books, baby care products and much more to you from the UK. Someone was recommending it on another website. It's called Expat Essentials at http://www.expatessentials.co.uk//frames.asp?mscssid=7P0LJPJD79GE8PRE35DCNRAAR8993WU2

The postage is about 15 Euros for up to 20kgs to Europe. I've only had a brief look but there seems to be a lot there.

Could save you a trip, bakerswife! Why not order your French husband some English cheese for Christmas!!!
Ann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. the postage was for up to 20 kilos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: