Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

American foods in Paris
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenanoelle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: American foods in Paris Reply with quote

Has anyone found any good American food stores in Paris? I've been around searching, found one place "The Real McCoy", but it's really tiny, and it's not like an actual.. supermarket type place, there are a few things behind a counter and you've gotta ask for em. There's one more place I've heard of that I'm going to test out, and I'll try to keep you posted on that..

but, does anyone know of any French stores with American/English goods, or an actual American/English food store? (in specific, I tend to look for stuff to make cheesecake, (actual cream cheese!) cheddar cheese (which is surprisingly sparse for a place so close to England.), stuff like Velveeta, Kool-Aid, etc etc.. the kind of stuff one might miss living away from the states Wink

Any help's appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cucina testa rossa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: american food in paris Reply with quote

I haven't been there but a store called "Thanksgiving" sells American food. It is as ridiculously expensive as McCoy's is so I passed on the 12 euro box of pancake mix and have friends bring things over when they come.

If you are craving an good ol' American diner breakfast, my favorite is Breakfast in America on rue des Ecoles in the 5th, just off rue Monge. I go there about one a month to curb my eggs, bacon, and pancakes with real syrup craving. The owner is very nice and used to be in the film biz which inspired the decor.

There is also Coffee Parisien at 4, rue Princesse in the 6th for good ol' American grub. Had a killer bacon-cheeseburger there but the waitress was such a b*tch that i'm not sure i will go back... my 2 cents...
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would anyone want american food in Paris...kool aid....come on
Alisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find real cream cheese at yes, the Real McCoy, Thanksgiving and the Grande Epicerie at Le Bon Marche. Thanksgiving has a website. All places very expensive.
Cheddar cheese can be purchased at Monoprix.
An excellent alternative to the real cream cheese is at Leader Price. It is called Nature a Tartiner. It is not exact, but very close, and only 1 euro and change.
ginparis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of the bigger grocery stores have American and English products all the time. Auchan keeps us stocked on cheddar, bbq sauce, Cambell's soups, etc. E.LeClerc has many items - I found oreos, Dr. Pepper and Ocean Spray cranberry juice the other day. (I'm in the western burbs, BTW). Even our local Super U has American products....Old El Paso, English muffins, brownie mixes, etc.

In May and again in Dec, the American School of Paris in St. Cloud has a sale of all sorts of stuff and they always have people selling American products. The classes make large baskets of American food goodies for a silent auctionm too. In the fall you can order turkeys (large ones!) and spiral cut hams at Easter through the school.

Our local market has started selling Philly cream cheese and all the Monoprixs out here sell it as someone else said. Check INNO stores if you are in Paris - they have an amazing selection of imported things.

The next option is the Chunnel! You can take a day trip to the UK. Drive to Calais, put your car on the train, get off and head up the M20 for 20 mins to Ashford and there you will find everything you ever needed! I do this with friends about twice a year. We split the transport costs by 4 or 5 people and it is well worth the trip just for the groceries and reading materials!
fsutrill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melinda wrote:
why would anyone want american food in Paris...kool aid....come on

Well, when you live here and you GOTTA have a root beer....but the prices are completely outrageous- 9 euros for a pack of oreos, 6 for tricuits and 8 for a box of pop tarts.

We've lived in Lyon for 3 years and the first restaurant we ate in when we visited Paris was KFC! (alternately proud and shameful, lol!). Embarassed
David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after 3 years of Lyonnaise food I'm sure KFC seemed positively exotic!! (and i admit to, after a long holiday in Japan, Korea, China and Hong Kong bold facedly ordering a pizza in a Hong Kong mall!!)
bakerswife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alisa wrote:
You can find real cream cheese at yes, the Real McCoy, Thanksgiving and the Grande Epicerie at Le Bon Marche. Thanksgiving has a website. All places very expensive.
An excellent alternative to the real cream cheese is at Leader Price. It is called Nature a Tartiner. It is not exact, but very close, and only 1 euro and change.

This is helpful. I'm not sure where there is a Leader Price near me (Lyon), but I've been wondering what to do for cream cheese and this is the best lead I've had! Smile
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon!

Leader Price is a brand as well a shop. If you have a Franprix, you will find this brand there. I am not sure about the other supermarkets. They may or may not stock Leader Price items.

I always pick up the nature a tartiner at my local franprix. It is the closest I have come to real cream cheese.

Another option is to try a supermarket that is Indian. They quite often have a lot of English brands and you might find cream cheese there.

Good luck! I am sure you will find something to satisfy the cravings close to home.
ginparis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also find something very, very similar to creme cheese at Lidl stores. It is called Pic Frisch and is just a little over a euro per carton.
fsutrill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakerswife wrote:
Alisa wrote:

This is helpful. I'm not sure where there is a Leader Price near me (Lyon), but I've been wondering what to do for cream cheese and this is the best lead I've had! Smile

HEY!!! I'm in Lyon. There is a leader price on the 30 bus line (catch it at Bellecour) at the "La Plaine" stop. There is also one out in the Bron/St. Priest area. Where are you in town and mybe I can find one closer?
bakerswife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsutrill--
I am in the 2nd arrondissement. Thanks so much for the info--I don't know the surrounding area that well yet but I'm sure my husband could be convinced to make a trip out that way if I promise fabulous recipes afterwards! Wink
fsutrill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you would be somewhere near Bellecour, right? If you catch the 30 bus, it will drop you right in front of the leader price "La Plaine" (also the name of the bus stop...
bakerswife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fsutrill--yes, I am near Bellecour, in the quartier "d'ainay" between Bellecour and Perrache. I will have to make a trip out there--thanks for the info! Smile
fsutrill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAH! Our Carrefour cheese counter had real cheddar!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: