Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Aid stand mixers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Kitchen Aid stand mixers Reply with quote

My mom has very generously offered to buy me a (gasp) KA mixer for my 21st bday. My question is which one should I ask for: the professional model or the standard 5qt, or a different model/brand? I know a bunch of people around here have one, soo...which do you prefer as a long term investment? Very Happy
Susan from Boston

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Kitchen Aid Mixer Reply with quote

I purchased the standard model for myself a few years ago and find it totally adequate for home cooking. I do a lot of baking and find it perfect for everything. I haven't come upon a situation when I've felt the need for the professional version. What a great present from your mom.

Susan
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much cooking and what kind of cooking do you do?

I've had a 5qt standard mixer for almost 30 years. I can do a lot of stuff with it but there are recipes that I find myself pushing the dough back down from the top of the hook for. Personally, I wish I'd bought the biggest, most powerful one back then. I don't know if I ever read how much dough the 5qt could handle but an 8-cups of flour dough is really pushing the limit.

Still, it's only overheated once in 30 years (can't remember what I was doing with it) and I've only replaced the paddle 'cause the vinyl (or whatever it is) coating wore off the bottom and the plate that holds the bowl in place became unable to keep the bowl from spinning with the paddle. Both repair costs were very low and the replacement plate was something I was able to screw in place myself. And, the lower profile of the 5qt fits beneath my cabinets. Check your workspace to see if you have a place for the larger machines.

These things are workhorses and well worth the investment! And I'd add that KitchenAid's warrantees are solid. I had a problem with my blender and they replaced and actually upgraded it (can't remember the circumstances that keyed them to do that) quickly and without quibble. Their stick blender is the most powerful I've ever had (and two burned out before I got the KA).

Have you checked Consumer Reports to see how they rate the various model options? I ask because I understand there's different construction now than when I bought mine — which is why I haven't switched to a larger machine.

You're a lucky girl. Bake something wonderful for your mom! Wink
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kohl's (the dept. store) is having a big sale on kitchen gear this week, so I know my mom was there. The "which one did you want, now?" phone calls totally gave her away. But for 70 bucks off... Laughing
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you should know that Kitchen Aid is offering a rebate for certain models of the stand mixer purchased before Dec. 31, 2006. Laughing
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore my KA - the same vintage as Rainey's (as Rainey & I are the same vintage Laughing) - and have never longed for anything else, until I read Rainey's post.

Besides Kohl's sale - Kitchen Aid is offering a rebate for certain models of the stand mixer. More incentive for Mom!

Enjoy! Cool
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Rainey and Donna, my Kitchen Aid and I are vintage, too. About 15 years ago I had the "governor" (I think that's the part that regulates speed) replaced on my machine. Other than that, not one problem.

I do know, however, that several years ago--just after the "professional" model became available--there were problems with the motor on the bigger machine that the 5 quart didn't have. You might ask if the retailer knows what those issues were, whether they've been addressed, etc.

Unless you routinely bake large amounts or for big groups, I'd say the pro model isn't necessary. A nice perk, perhaps, but not necessary.

Does this mean that you get to pick a pretty color, too? Lucky duck.
suzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My KA is on its way to my house as I type this! The generational thing went the other way around here. It is a belated mother's day (!) present from my son, who's in college. It was on sale last week at Amazon for a really good price. It's the Artisan, which really seems to me to be an adequate size, unless you make double batches of dough on a regular basis. This new toy is designed to encourage me to overcome my fear of dough and pastry. And it's red! The red, black, and white were on sale.

Enjoy yours. Nice mom you have.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for the colbalt blue one, not that ALL the colors aren't nice. There's this cranberry shade, its purty too. But blue goes with more in the long run. Good to know I picked a good investment piece! For my uses (Christmas cookies excluded) the 5-qt Artisan sounds about right from what I've read, plus it comes w/ all the standard attachments (whisk/dough hook, paddle). Rebates are always nice too!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your pennies now. You might want to look into the pasta rolling attachment. I got one last month after all these years and it was a breeze to have the machine do the rolling at an effective uniform pace so I could use two hands to deal with the pasta issuing forth!

It made the kneading effortless too. And, what I had always wondered about, you can mix up the dough with the dough hook while the pasta roller is also in place.
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Tilt-head or Bowl lift? Reply with quote

I had difficulty deciding if this should be a new topic or added to this topic, but it's probably obvious what I've decided.

I have been looking at buying a new stand mixer for a short while, and saw that KA has both the tilt-head and the bowl lift models. The tilt-head, at least on their site, now seems limited to 5qt (9 cup) capacity, while the bowl lift is available in 6qt (14 cup) capactiy. Having only owned hand mixers in my time, this is exciting for me, but I'm not sure of the practical/functional differences between the tilt and lift models. I did notice a number of additional accessories available for the 6qt bowl lift than for other models, such as a C dough hook, but I can swear I have seen accessories like this for the tilt, even if the KA website does not list them.

Anyone have a preference? It is easily noted that the bowl lift have significantly higher wattage motors, but beyond that, are there advantages to one model over another?
suzy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian
The larger one is more powerful and has a larger capacity. I have the 5 qt. artisan (relatively new to me!) and it seems plenty big but I don't bake several loaves of bread at a time. The big one looks to me as if it coud mix concrete. The tilt head on mine is convenient.

If price is a concern, Amazon occasionally has really good prices on the artisan. My son bought me mine a last month for about $150 after the deals and rebate. (he's benefitted from the gift: cookies, etc,)

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get. What color are you thinking about? Another difficult decision. My son thought mine should be red! It's lovely.

--suzy
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I know, all the accessories fit the same drive on the end of the motor regardless of what size or style KA you get (though the size of the bowls and mixing devices that go inside them are size-specific). The bigger ones will just drive the pasta roller/grinder/juicer/whatever with more potential strength.

Take note, if you go with the larger lift-bowl model, that those motors come in different strenghts from 375 watts (I think) to 5__ watts with a third in between. Go for more power. You won't regret the relatively few more dollars but if you buy a less expensive one and want more you won't be willing to buy a brand new mixer and you'll always feel like you're compromising.
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's what has me leaning towards the lift bowl mixer. Many people are using their KA stand mixer decades later, and a mixer with the full 575Watt motor would likely serve me until Doomsday. Sure, it's pricy, but taken over the life of the product, it's cost/reward benefit is exceedingly good.
suzy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what my son argued He thought I should have the big fella, but it's just too big for me to find space for it in my kitchen. Maybe if I have a larger kitchen in the future, I'll give my lovely red artisan to my son and get the big guy. But I am really very happy with the one I have now. I don't have any of the attachments (yet).

Out of curiosity, which do people enjoy having?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: