Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Aid stand mixers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My KA is probably close to 30 years old, has a lift-bowl, and is only 300 watts. That last is certainly a reflection of its age. However, it does a fine job with just about everything. But when it's time to replace it (and it's beginning to look as though that day will never come), I think I'd still like the lift bowl model and will certainly welcome additional power. But I do a lot of bread making and start kneading in the machine, finish by hand, etc., so I know that I'll make good use of it.

Also, the additional weight of the bigger machine may make a difference to you. On the negative side, it's heavier and more awkward to move around. ON the positive side, it may not "travel" on your counter when it's up to higher speeds or has a heavy dough or batter in it. (It also helps enormously to keep a lightweight rubber shelf liner under your machine. Prevents it entirely from dancing around.)

Consider carefully how you will actually use your mixer. Your needs may simply never require the greater size, weight, and expense of the larger machine.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzy- I can't remember when you said you got your machine. I've had mine for 30 year and though I'd rather have the bigger more powerful machine I didn't know about then, I can't think of anything I haven't been able to do with mine. You may find that there's no reason to switch. OTOH, if you can make it a present....

As for attachments, I have often lusted for the grain mill but never got it and probably never will. I have only recently gotten the pasta roller and it's fantastic! What it does is smoothly and consistently keep the rollers moving so you free up a hand to work the dough-in side and another to work the pasta-out side. I find that a huge help. Plus it's so easy to use I run the dough through an extra couple times and do a much better job of kneading it.
suzy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rainey.
That's good to know. I haven't made pasta in years, partly because it's such a production to use that crank machine (thought it was lots of fun when kids were littler) and partly because it's so easy to buy fresh pasta where I live. But maybe if i had an attachment that does it easily, I'd make ravioli!

I just got my beauty last month. (A belated mother's day present from my sweet son, who wants me to overcome my fear of dough and pastry.)
So far, he's been the beneficiary of some great cookies and a few pizzas.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a smart boy!
suzy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is, indeed!
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both Kitchen Aid models in my lab at my previous job. I mostly used them for dry blending, and I preferred the larger model. In addition to the larger capacity and more powerful motor, it ran a bit slower and with the bowl depth didn't seem as dusty; a big bonus in dry blending. I routinely used my mixer on and off for 2-4 hours a day, and never had any issues. It also worked very well for doughs, whipping cream etc.

I've seen discussions on other sites with people who didn't like the bowl lift on the larger model and prefer the tilt. I never had any issues with the lift, and actually preferred it. I didn't like the lock on the tilt model.

Obviously, given the option, I would purchase the larger model for myself. Happy purchasing.
Kabbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: kitchen aid Reply with quote

My kenwood mixer has provided great service but after 25yrs with me, and it was second hand, it is needing replacement. Dilemma!! does anyone have an opinion or experience of the comparison between kitchen aid mixers and kenwood mixers?
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabbles- In the dusty recesses of my memory there is a comparison of the KA and the Kenwood written by the bakers at King Arthur Flour (a preeminent resource for North American bakers). I believe they said that the Kenwood compared very favorably and may even have had the edge. This is, however, as unreliable a piece of information as my memory is sporadic and eccentric at best.

So, I called the KA bakers to see what they could tell me about it. Interestingly, the person I spoke to thought that it was possible that there once was such a study BUT they no longer carry either KA or Kenwood. Their recommendation is Viking which I think (should have asked but I didn't think of it) is made by Husquvarna.
suzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The viking is $525! (US)
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzy wrote:
The viking is $525! (US)

Is it? I didn't check the Bakers' Catalogue I just called the hot line.

I'm not replacing my KA. But, you know what? If I were, I'd be very much inclined to follow the recommendation of the King Arthur folks. They're serious about baking so their advice for other serious bakers would be something I, personally, would count on.

It was a serious investment for me to get my KA 30 years ago. I've never been sorry for laying out that money. I wish people buying KAs now could count on the same reliability. I hope they can. But if anyone is looking for an alternative, this is what the King Arthur bakers recommend.

Everyone isn't looking for a workhorse tho so I'm glad you filled them in on the price!
swan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the KA is quite expensive inHolland, too....399 euro's!!! (about 500us$ ).
But how I love mine!! Can't give advise as I don't know the others and never owned a standmixer before. My red cutie looks very pretty in my kitchen!!!
Kabbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rainey, Thankyou for going to that effort. I will follow up on the viking-haven't heard of it here though.
I have heard that with both the kenwood and the KA the new models don't have the staying power of our old models Sad .The top model KA is $699-$799 depending on the options, so it is a major purchase for me.
I will let you know what i discover.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabbles wrote:
I have heard that with both the kenwood and the KA the new models don't have the staying power of our old models Sad .

Yes, that's what I've heard too. And I suspect that's what's behind my old friends (a familiarity that's decidedly one-sided; there's no affiliation) at King Arthur making a switch.

BTW, King Arthur is an excellent resource for bakers. Even though some of you in the South Seas might not want to pick up the phone and call them for advice, their website still has tons of great information and recipe and is there for a mouse click. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: A note from the Newbie Reply with quote

Hi All,

I had the fortune to sucker my mother into purchasing me a cobalt blue KA a few years back (Mom, you ROCK!). We agreed on a refurbished model, with a warranty from KA- which, I am pleased to note, has never been used.

Its been almost a decade, and it runs like a tank. Yes, I made sure to get the larger motor, the bowl-lift setup and a few accessories. Never been happier!

My favorite gizmo is the shredder, Mom's is the grinder- lots of ground meats for pate' and such. I hope to get the grinder for doing game meats, as I live in Montana these days and it would be a total shame to not make buffalo or venison sausages and such.

Thanks for the form, Clotilde!
Nice to meet everyone.
bulkarn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Mixers Reply with quote

I have the KA of 30 years ago which I love, but need a new mixer for a second home. Has anyone heard of the Magic Mill Electrolux? http://www.appliancehut.com/productdetails.asp?id=468

It has fantastic reviews but is unknown to me. Thanks for your input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: