Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Aid stand mixers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a real monster (tho I can't quite picture what's going on with some "fin" that folds mixed dough). The question I'd have is, if it's designed to do 8 or 10 loaves of bread, how does it handle a cup of butter and a couple eggs for a single cake?

Have you checked Consumer Reports?

It's so difficult choosing these expensive appliances without having an opportunity to see them at work first hand! I know I'm going through the same thing contemplating an oven choice when no one seems to have used what it is I think I want.
georgia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a part replaced on my vintage KA some years ago, the repairman advised me absolutely to invest in the replacement part + labor (around $90 as I recall) because the older KAs had all metal working parts and the newer ones do not. What else could they be? Plastic? Regardless, I've heard this complaint about other types of machinery as well. Apparently this "advancement" has a lot to do with the falling reputation of longtime top-rated appliances--and probably many other things as well.

My mixer? Still going strong after that tune-up a dozen years ago. When it comes time to replace it, I don't know what I'll do besides cry and hold a memorial service.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia- You're so funny! Was it you who also said if there was a fire you'd rescue the KA first? That was so funny but also a good way of illustrating how much we value things that go the distance for us.
georgia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it was not I who said I'd rescue my KitchenAid first--but I wish it had been! However, I agree.

Speaking of things we'd rescue...I just received some inherited dishes from a much beloved aunt...many, many pieces of Jewel Tea and Coffee Company autumn leaf pattern. Anybody out there remember--from the 1950s-- the big, brown truck (very similar to today's UPS trucks, I think) coming to your house every couple of weeks or so? Every other week, the Jewel Tea man would come to my grandmother's, stop by for coffee and whatever she'd baked that day, and leave an order of coffee and whatever she'd ordered that time around. There was always a special on some piece of china that week ("Buy $5 worth of goods and receive this lovely pitcher for 99 cents.") My paternal grandmother bought EVERYTHING. I spent today opening boxes and sorting through lots of memories. Difficult in some ways but delicious, too.

I know I've gone off track here, and if The Powers That Be wish to divert this to another thread in another forum, that's fine with me. And I'd love to hear if anyone else shares these memories with me--or anything similar from wherever and whenever it is you have recollections of times past.
JustMe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an extra bowl for my KitchenAid (the standard model and quite adequate for my needs). I had been looking at them for quite awhile because the bowl itself is fairly pricey but my husband happened to be at the local outlet one day when they were having a sale & they were giving out extra bowls for the model I have...for free! Bonus!)

A second bowl is extremely handy especially you need to beat one thing and whip another.
MelC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree about the 2nd bowl... I bake cakes a lot, and for the longest time, I only had one! I was very fortunte to win a 2nd mixer altogether in a raffle,and I'm in heaven! (My 1st KA is a 3.5 qt which is lovely for many things, but a pain if you're making a wedding cake! My new baby is a 5qt and she's just perfect!!!) Obviously 2 mixers is excessive for most people, but having the 2nd bowl available is very helpful!

I made a large (serving 300) cake a few weeks ago, and between the 2 mixers, I was able to whip up 8 batches of Italian Meringue Buttercream, 4 batches of chocolate cake, and 4 of white cake over the course of one day! (I also was borrowing a church kitchen where they had 2 ovens!)
judithuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Kitchen Aid mixers Reply with quote

Had a tilt head for years ( 30+) love it , but when buying a second one for second home upgraded to the bowl lift. Big mistake. not much more powerful, far more difficult to add ingredients and not so efficient sweep of the bowl by the paddle.
tea leaves

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, get the professional size. Capacity makes a big difference. My KA changed the way I produced mashed potatoes, even if I'm only making them for 2! Also the ice cream maker bowl is a whiz!
Phoebe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer Reply with quote

Oh honey, don't even hesitate to get the 6 qt professional model. I have three of them and wouldn't be without them as a caterer...no kitchen is complete without this mixer, no matter how big or small the recipe. My favorite color is the matte copper-it is painted this lovely coppery gold paint and just goes with everything-lucky you to start out your new adventure with such a fine addition to your kitchen. Happy cooking to you!
rohobu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Resources - bulkarn Reply with quote

Regarding your question about Magic Mill - I don't know about their mixer, but my mom has one of their grinders (about 25 years now) and it is a workhorse! My mom baked 3-5 loaves of home-ground wheat bread every week. She also sold the mills, and had many Indian clients because it was the only mill that would grind chickpeas. So the company reputation is there, if that's any help!

(I am such a minority, I am afraid to voice my opinion, but I like the Bosch mixer MUCH better than the Kitchen Aid! When I married, my husband - a chef - had a KA, and I used it and didn't like it, but had no other choice! My sister was given a new Bosch, & kindly gave her old one to me. But it's also what I grew up with, and obviously KAs are great, as attested to by all the KA love on this forum!!!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: