Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Has anyone seen... *insert list here* ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fannie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Yes, you can buy Philadelphia cream cheese in Paris! Reply with quote

Hi all!

I hope that I have good news....

Philadelphia cream cheese is available at many Italian specialty markets--I have personally seen it at Casa della Pasta 5 rue des petits carreaux (2nd) and at 15 rue Rambuteau (4th).

As for baking powder--it's called bicarbonate de soudure and you can find it at most grocery stores (I have seen it at Monoprix next to the salt). As for baking soda--I believe it's called leveure chimique (you'll find it next to the sucre vanillé packets) and it comes in little packets of 5 grams or so.

A good cheddar substitute is the french cheese mimolette--it is orange and hard though not quite as creamy as the real deal.

Finally, about tapioca pearls, have you tried asian grocery stores? Around place d'italie or belleville.

Good luck!
Alisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fannie, you have so much wonderful info! Thanks!
Do you know if the price of Philly Cream Cheese is over 4 euros, as it is at the "american" stores?
fannie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Philly cream cheese Reply with quote

Alisa,

I'm not sure if the cream cheese is any cheaper. I have only purchased it once, around 3 years ago. Although, Thanksgiving is SO expensive so I would hope that Casa della Pasta might be cheaper. I think I paid 4 euros for a bag of ocean spray cranberrys there last november. (I eventually resorted to canned Andros airelles as a cranberry substitute).

Cheers
Fannie
Alisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fannie, did you know that Picard sells fresh frozen airelles, most of the year? I have used them to make "fresh" cranberry sauce and the results are exactly the same.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening!

Alisa, it would be great to meet up one day. I haven't been to any of the C&Z events yet, but am looking forward to them.

Where are you in Paris? I live in 18th between Abesses and the Sacre Coeur. Only moved to Paris in December from Australia. I am absolutely loving it and do find it different and interesting, but miss having a social chit chat and coffee "with the girls".

I have just received my titre de sejour last week, so am currently looking for work a few days a week to give me a bit of "pocket money". As such my days are all pretty free. If you want to meet somewhere for coffee I would love to meet. Maybe we could go on a food exploring spree? I think you can email me direct using the link for personal reply at the bottom of the page? You may be more computer literate than moi.

Have a nice day
Alisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, thanks for the vote of confidance, but I couldn't figure out how to email you directly. Here's mine jybam@free.fr. I'm in the 15th, metro Convention.
I feel the same:
I am absolutely loving it and do find it different and interesting, but miss having a social chit chat and coffee "with the girls".
but thankfully that is slowly changing. I too am looking for work, and have some free time during the days. I have two kids, which sucks up tons of time! Email me!
fsutrill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, you can buy Philadelphia cream cheese in Paris! Reply with quote

fannie wrote:

As for baking powder--it's called bicarbonate de soudure and you can find it at most grocery stores (I have seen it at Monoprix next to the salt). As for baking soda--I believe it's called leveure chimique (you'll find it next to the sucre vanillé packets) and it comes in little packets of 5 grams or so.

Actually, it's the reverse- baking powder is levure chimique and baking soda is "Bicarbonate alimentaire". I'm not trying to be picky but the results would be disastrous as they are not interchangeable.
Cheers!
Cheryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: