Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

spelt flour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: spelt flour Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to experiment with spelt flour having jumped on the gluten free bandwagon, with amazing results I might add.

Does anyone know if this flour can be used as it is or does it have to be mixed with wheat flour for good results. I was looking at Clotildes yummy cake recipe and wanted to give it a whirl but was pondering the question to spelt or not to spelt.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Isis.
David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a health food store across the street from my store here in Ottawa and they have a range of organic breads including some using spelt, not other flours are used in the spelt bread which is quite tasty, if somewhat expensive! I would however suggest that it may be a heavier flour and should be treated like a brown flour more than a refined white wheat flour.
emilyj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who intolerant to wheat- she eats spelt bread. She said that she mixes it with something else- I don't recall what but obviously not wheat. It is also a lot heavier than wheat bread so you don't need to eat as much of it to feel full. Spelt actually has some gluten in it but not very much and apparently. It is a bit notorious for not rising very well and becoming a funny shape in the oven. I googled 'spelt bread recipes' and came back with a whole lot of them. Most of them were very similar- here's one of them:

Spelt Bread — by Rebecca Wood
Yield: Two 8 ½" x 4 ½" loaves

For a lighter flavor and texture, use up to 50% white spelt flour. Some people who are sensitive to common wheat are able to enjoy spelt bread.

Note: it is important that you don't over-knead spelt dough.

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (105° to 110° F)
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons sea salt
6 cups spelt flour (use any combination of whole or white spelt)

Combine the yeast, water and honey in a large warm bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes or until the yeast softens. Stir in the butter and salt and 3 cups of the flour. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon. Add the remaining flour in increments until the dough becomes too stiff to stir, then place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead for about 6 minutes, adding any remaining flour as necessary, until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Do not overknead.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot for about 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.

Grease two 8 ½" x 4 ½" loaf pans. Punch the dough down to deflate it and divide it in half. Form each half into a smooth loaf and place in a prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot for about 1 hour or until the dough has risen to the top of the pans.

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Uncover the risen loaves. Place the pans on a heavy baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until the tops are light brown and crusty. Remove from the oven and tap out of the pan into the baking sheet. Turn the oven off and return the breads to the oven to crisp for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack
isis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks emilyj and David,

Isis x
isis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emilyj,

I made the spelt bread recipe today and it turned out fabulous. My husband called me a wicked woman for turning out such wonderful bread and for helping him wreck his waist line. hehehe.

Thanks again.

Isis.
gisele

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isis - At home I have an article about different types of flour (other than wheat) and what they are best used for. I know that sometimes, esp. for baking, you need to mix flours so the baked item doesn't become too heavy. I can also give you some gluten free recipes that were given to me by a nutritionist.
isis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gisele,

I would really like to see some of these gluten free recipes. It's a definate health concern for me to avoid too much gluten. I love to experiement when I have time. I can get a lot of different flours and grains from The Bulk Barn, but I don't always know what to do with them when I get them home.

Isis
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook a lot with spelt flour - it works better than other non-wheat flours - replacing it in my 'normal'-wheat recipes, and most things have worked out ok. It changes the texture slightly - especially dry things like biscuits, and the colour is often darker. But the taste is the same (I've done a few batches 1/2 with wheat & 1/2 with spelt, and nobody could tell the difference). I mainly stuck to quite moist cakes or cakes that don't require a lot of flour. Otherwise I try to find recipes that use ground almonds, rice flour, potato starch, cornflour or rye flour. There's a lot around once you start looking, even in many mainstream cookbooks.

I've never tried making pastry. I read somewhere that for that you need xanthum flour to provide the binding texture that gluten provides in wheat flour. Once I track down some xanthum gum that will be my next project.
isis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am flush with sucess.

I just made a chocolate cake with spelt flour. It was truely yummy, moist and needed a little grated choclate sprinkled on top. Maybe tomorrow I will add a little whipped cream on the side for a bit of decadance. If anyone is interested I will post it for you.

Isis.
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad that the recipe worked out- the wonder of google Very Happy

Spelt chocolate cake sounds very interesting! I never thought about using that kind of flour in anything except bread- how inventive
charlsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekbeka, check this site
http://www.patiwizz.com
they sell many products, including gomme xanthane.
Or try maybe the shop mentionned by Clotilde, G.Detout, if you are in Paris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlsy

Thanks for the tip. I've tried a couple of shops here and mixed in with not knowing how 'xantham gum' translates into French (if it does at all) and my gorgeous accent, it was fairly amusing. But not to be done every day!
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bekbeka - haven't seen you on the forums for awhile. Hope it's going well in France.
gisele

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's taken me so long, I've been too busy to even look at the computer when I'm at home!

I can't guarantee that all the follwoing flours are gluten-free, a lot of them only contain a little gluten, but at least you will have an idea as to what to use them for.

I found this list in the local magazine "Taste" www.taste.co.nz

I started to type it all out from my magazine, but then found the page online...here is the link http://www.taste.co.nz/howto.aspx/view/29

Spelt flour is listed near the bottom, but it has a good description of what a whole range of non-wheat flours can be used for.

I have an awesome recipe for an orange almond cake which has no wheat flour 9or flour of any sort for that matter) which I shall post under "Recipe Box"
gisele

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now for low-glute or gluten free recipes...

I wasn't sure whether I should have put these recipes in the "Recipe Box section, but as they apply directly to your topic i thought it best to post them here in case they get "lost" in the other section. I haven't made some of these, but the lady who gave them to me uses them all the time.

Pastry

-3oz ground almonds, 3oz brown rice flour, 3oz butter. Mash together and press into a flan ring. (e.g. fill with tuna and sweetcorn, egg and soya milk and fresh chopped parsleyand bake)

-50g (2oz) softened butter, 100g(4oz) ground rice, 75g(3oz) finely grated eating apple. blend together, by fork, knead into a ball by hand and press into a greased dish. (e.g. spread with a fruit misture and bake at 230 degrees celsius/450 degrees farenheit for 20-25mins)

self-crusting quiche

-mix together in a large bowl: 1/4 cup olive oil or melted butter, 3 lightly beaten eggs, 1.5 cups milk (of choice), 1 cup tinned slamon or tuna or chopped cooked chicken and 1 cup of any mixture of vegies (eg corn, peas, cooked asparagus, broccoli florets etc) also add 1 finely chopped onion, 1/2 cup rye/brown rice flour, 1 tsp gluten free baking powder, 1 tbsp mixed herbs, some black pepper, and cayenne if desired. Don't over mix, and pour into a well greased quiche dish, decorate (optional) with parsley, chives, sliced tomatoes, sprinkle over paprika. Bake 50-60mins at 180 degrees celsius/350degrees farenheit

Muffins

- mix in a bowl, 2 mashed ripe bananas, 2tbsp plus 2 tsp honey, 2tbsp plus 2 tsp cold pressed olive oil. Fold in 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 and a quarter cups brown rice flour or buck wheat flour or maizemeal, 1 tsp gluten free baking powder and 2 heaped tbsp chopped walnuts. spoon into a non-stick muffin pan and bake in oven for 20-25mins at 180C/350F

Carrot and Zucchini Cake

2 med carrots, peeled and grated
2 medium zucchini, peeled and grated
2 1/2 cups wholemeal flour 9eg. rye, spelt)
2 tsp wheat free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp mixed spice
2/3 cup sultanas
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
2 large eggs
1 cup milk (eg. rice, soya)
1/2 cup orange or apple juice

Mix all dry ingredients together with carrots and zucchini. Beat eggs, milk and juice in a bowl and add to dry ingredients. Pour into a 20" cake tin. Bake at 350F (180C) for 40-45mins. Nice with a side of natural yoghurt and /or some stewed fruit.

Hopefully these should give you an idea as to what to do with some of the different non-wheat flours. I'm not sure how the pastry recipes will turn out, but as i said the lady who gave me the recipes uses them all the time.

I have another couple of muffin recipes if you would like them.

gisele
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: