Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

spelt flour
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to say Spelt is not actually gluten free.

xA
theRoadtripper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love using spelt flour in a lot of my recipes like muffins etc. I usually mix it with another type of flour too, that way it doesn't turn out too 'dense' or grainy. Oat flour is a good option and if you're not avoiding wheat completely, mixing spelt with wheat flour/all purpose works well.

Just curious, what type of flour is gluten free? Someone asked me about gluten free treats the other day and I had no clue what to use to make them.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rice flour, cornflour made from maize, lentil, soy, potato, polenta etc etc etc.

wheat, rye, barley, triticale and oat all contain gluten.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
theRoadtripper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Judy, I forgot to come back to this thread to check it out. Iwasn't sure which flours contained gluten and was thinking of making gluten-free dog cookies for someone who was inquiring.

I find the spelt flour is a good replacement for white flour in baked goods if you're looking for a healthier flour. I just made chocolate chip cookies with spelt flour and they actually turned out really well. Much softer than whole wheat-flour, which I don't really like for baking at all.

Still a little grainy tasting but not as bad as the whole-wheat flour. Gives them a nice crunchier texture.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, the Roadtripper. I had forgotten all about this thread.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
elizabeth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Spelt has GLUTEN!!!! Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have been diagnosed as gluten intolerant and have been living gluten free for about 8 years. If you have a gluten allergy spelt is not a safe grain to cook/bake with. It is a whole grain that is high in gluten, not as high as wheat, but higher than oats.

A lot of people don't realize that graham flour, semolina flour, barley, oats and oat flour, kamut, and rye all have gluten. Try teff, rice, soy, corn, quinoa, and nut flours instead. lists of gluten free grains are easy to find online.

There is a celiac center at a hospital near my home and they have great resources, but they also heavily caution folks not to cut gluten out of their diet for weight control.

For cakes and breads there is a cookbook series called the gluten free gourmet with great recipes, and bob's red mill makes great baking mixes and gluten free flour blends for baking.

good luck with your adventure in being gluten free, i hope it brings you renewed health as it has for me!

elizabeth
alexs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say that Spelt is definitively NOT gluten free. A great wholesome nutrient rich substitute for normal hybrid wheat flour, with a lower gluten content, but not gluten free. ie coeliacs are not tolerant and could be miseld, so just wanted to say.
xxnutritionist nerd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: