Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What are you currently reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bainst

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the lover of Jane Austen that I am, but also having a very subversive sense of humor, when I saw "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" with all new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem, I had to pick it up. When you read a scene that goes like this:

The warrior code demanded she avenge her honour. Elizabeth reached down to her ankle, taking care not to draw attention. There, her hand met the dagger concealed beneath her dress. She meant to follow this proud Mr. Darcy outside and open his throat.

But no sooner had she grabbed the handle of her weapon than a chorus of screams filled the assembly hall, immediately joined by the shattering of window panes. Unmentionables poured in, their movements clumsy yet swift; their burial clothing in a range of untidiness…

As guests fled in every direction, Mr. Bennett’s [sic] voice cut through the commotion. “Girls! Pentagram of Death!”…

From a corner of the room, Mr. Darcy watched Elizabeth and her sisters work their way outward, beheading zombie after zombie as they went. He knew of only one other woman in all of Great Britain who wielded a dagger with such skill, such grace, and deadly accuracy.

How could I resist?

Last edited by bainst on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the geography of bliss.....why no Paris tho?........does where u live make u happy.......very interesting......people in Iceland actually very happy....also covers some unhappy areas
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bainst ~ daughter Sophie is breezing her way through the zombie book as well...she's loving every word.

melinda ~ geography of bliss ...am reminding of Joseph Campbell's advice "follow your bliss"

am reading Gore Vidal's "Point to Point Navigation" ~ I particularly love that I've not a clue what each chapter will be about..that delight of the first paragraph..leading me in to yet another piece of Vidal's life. That chapter dealing with Howard's dying...deep and loving reflection ~ 'n for me the sheer and challenging beauty of his writing..every so often a super gem!
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainst, that has sealed it for me. Must read this book!

Hope the rest is as good as that snippet.
bainst

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you enjoy it Debbie as much as I did. Though, I will never see Jane Austen or cauliflower the same again. Very Happy
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! Cauliflower! I'm right there with you bainst.

"It's hot ham water."
bainst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, don't feel guilty for enjoying the book. I absolutely loved it. I happen to think it made me appreciate the original more. Though i think the zombie version explains Charlotte and Mr. Collins way better. Laughing
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melinda,

People in Iceland are not all that happy at the moment. The entire country is bankrupt! Still they have a new leader and they have a hope.

... a cauliflower? I have sooo got to get this book! Erin, you will have to do a related dish involving cauliflower! Personally I prefer Broccoli, don't like cauliflower. Still if it helps against the zombies...!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, that is a spectacular idea!

"It's hot ham water."
bainst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin,

That is a wonderful idea. Very Happy Alas since you are on the other side of the pond, I have to invite myself over to Erin's and enjoy it for you. Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainst,

It's always good to know that you're willing to do these things for another human being... well vaguely human in my case, but you get the idea!!

Erin,

A Jane Austen Zombie type cauliflower dish... would be best and chocolate cake for dessert. I have it on good authority that Bainst loves chocolate! Wink
bainst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin,
You know me so well. Laughing
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what gets me sooooo mad I could just scream........

Getting to page 457 (in a book that is over 1000 pages long) and discovering that the next 30 odd pages are missing. Twisted Evil

Right in the middle of a twist that is vital to the rest of the story.

What makes me even angrier is that I am the fifth person to have borrowed this book from the library and no one else has informed them of the problem so they could remove the book from teh shelves. Mad

What a waste of a library ticket! We are only allowed 4 books at a time and that barely lasts me 4 days. My trips to the library are once a week (otherwise I would be there every day returning and borrowing books - a little too much perhaps) so I now have another few days before I can get another set of books. Very frustrating.

OK, rant over now. Will go and do some uni work.
bainst

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,

I cannot imagine how frustrating that is. Plus no one was responsible enough to report it to the library staff. Shocked I also hate that people purposely damaged a book. After chocolate, books are a big favorite of mine, and too damage them gets my blood boiling! Evil or Very Mad I hope you're able to find a replacement.
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, off to library tomorrow. Shall see what happens. Hopefully all will be well and they will just remove the book from circulation and order another one.

In the middle of Bad Science at present. It is very interesting. Some of the scientific theories that he debunks make you wonder how people can believe them in the first place...... scarily gullible. Shocked

Need to find a really good book to take away with me. Want to get the P&P&Z, but advised not to carry that into Tunisia....... Crying or Very sad Apparently you are not allowed to have books that are not moral or something, and zombies fall into the naughty category. Oh well, save that for when I get back. I will be too busy having thalassotherapy anyway....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 30 of 40

Jump to: