Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

LA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilyj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: LA? Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

My Dad has asked me to book a hotel room for him and my sister who are going to LA later in the year because "you know more than we do about that internet stuff"

Does anyone here know of any good LA hotels that he might be able to stay in? They don't want to pay too much so are not looking for anything fancy. They want to be near to either Anaheim ( I have no idea if this is North, South, East or West) or near the airport.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions !! Thanks very much.
Alisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Emily,
I have lived in Paris for the past 4 years, but I grew up and lived in Los Angeles for over 35 years, still call it home, and would like to move back. That being said, L.A. is a very unusual city/place for tourists. Not a "real" city, with a central focus. It is a cluster of small cities, suburbs, distinct neighborhoods. Hard to describe and even harder to experience unless you have a car, and a huge sense of adventure.

I have always remarked that if you came as a tourist you might hate Los Angeles. And staying close to the airport is a sure-fire way to hate it. Anaheim runs a close second in that category. I am happy to give you my opinions and advice, but first would like to know why you are looking for hotels in those two areas? What your father and sister are looking forward to doing and seeing in L.A.? Are they going to rent a car? Really, they should. Travelocity is great for car rentals. I’ll be watching here for your additional info!
Alisa
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it very funny, indeed, for an Aussie to be getting the inside tips on LA from a Parisian. Nevertheless, Alisa is right on the nose.

I've been thinking about this because LA is so bloody expensive. The answers to Alisa's questions will help zero in on what's most likely to be right. But, as I think she hints, outlying areas may be both cheaper and more pleasant. Things on the beach north of LAX like Santa Monica would, of course, be lovely but also near the top of the price scale and perhaps you're in a part of Australia where you have all the beach you need.

Should your dad be firm about proximity to LAX I may have one thought. We had friends from back home in New York who recently brought their daughter out to start at USC. They stayed at an Embassy suites hotel that was within sight of the perimeter of the airport in El Segundo and close (perhaps within a mile) to the beach on the south side of LAX. The view of the hangars was obscured (at least at the street level) by a very large berm with mature trees and the ocean breezes blew the awful fuel smell of the airport in the other direction.

The hotel was backed up by a pleasant family neighborhood. I found that astounding because, before I saw it myself, I couldn't think of a less pleasant place to live but the houses gave evidence of affluence and comfortable living reinforcing the effectiveness of the berm and the onshore breeze. I have no idea what the noise level is but I didn't find it bothersome when we said our goodbyes outside the front of the hotel for about half an hour on a Sunday morning.

There was little to be seen in the vicinity but as Alisa says, you must travel to everything in LA and a car is essential. The Embassy Suites is at the junction of two freeways (the 405 going north and south and the 105 going east and connecting with others that lead downtown) so you can head out in any direction from there.

I don't know that that particular southern beach is one of LA's best. But there is a bike trail that goes north for many, many miles and is supposed to be a very pleasant ride to some of the very popular beaches like Venice and Santa Monica. And south to other attractive and popular beaches like Manhattan Beach. I know you can rent bikes in Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica and Venice. I'm assuming the hotel could tell you if you can in El Segundo as well.

I remember my friends saying that they were very pleased with the to-order breakfast that was included in the fee for their rooms. But should this hotel turn out to be right for your family there is also an interesting 50s vintage coffee shop in that area where the food is generous, well-prepared and melds traditional American coffee shop fare with a Cajun influence. It's called Pann's and it's on La Tijera Blvd. just a few miles away.

Anaheim is south and east in Orange County. As not ideal as the airport area is, and I love how diplomatically Alisa said it, Anaheim is only marginally more attractive. BUT it's where all those theme parks that people come to SoCal for are. So are all the tourists and bad (I mean really bad) restaurants.

I don't know anyone who's ever stayed in Anaheim but perhaps a travel agent could get you a good package and perhaps your family has in mind spending the days in parks and little time in hotel rooms.
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your family is planning on hitting Disneyland, there really is no better place to stay than the Disneyland Hotel - to my way of thinking.

Even when I go without kids, I find it a very pleasant place. It's a HUGE hotel compound - and none of the rooms are right on the street, so it's quite tranquil. There are two pools, the rooms are generally large and comfortable. There are a variety of restaurants - even a couple of good ones! (I would skip the Goofy Cafe, unless you have a gaggle of 7 year olds.) The Monorail provides quick, easy transport to and from the park - so you can leave in the middle of the day, go take a swim or sit in the hot tub, take a nap and get up and go BACK to the park for the evening.

We have tried staying at other hotels in Anaheim on visits to D'Land, and ALWAYS regretted it. You might save a few bucks, but you will accrue aggravation for every dollar you save, so in the end, it's NOT worth it. If the park is your goal - stay at the Disneyland Hotel.

And that is the sum of my wisdon on LA hotels! Laughing
Alisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rainey! In my original reply, twice I typed and then deleted, "Rainey would be the perfect person to give current info". But I didn't want to obligate you to something. Et voila here you are!!!

It is refreshing, pleasing and it made me smile, to see you describe me as Parisian and diplomatic. Two things nobody else I know would eagerly say about me. Yeah, I live in Paris, but "diplomatic" and I have had a strained relationship my entire life Wink

My further 2cents will wait for info from Emily.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Last edited by Rainey on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Alisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a limited fondness for Disneyland. I loved it in Anaheim as a kid, and teenager. Hated the crowds, but still had a strong appreciation for a lot of it, when I got into my 20's, and have never been back. My children have yet to ask to go, either in France or L.A. I figure when they are old enough to ask to go, I'll do it. And not a moment sooner! We have exited the RER a few times at the EuroDisney stop, to visit the country house of friends; the overt commercialization of it all does make me cringe.
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't take Ben to Disneyland until he was almost nine years old - he never asked. Laughing But I fondly remember walking down Mainstreet that first time when he remarked "Now I know what the big deal is about!" I do enjoy Disneyland myself, but I can only take it in small doses - and I hate the stupid light parades . Twisted Evil
emilyj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your help

Dad and Zoe were just going to stopover in LA on their way to Boston but then they got free tickets to Disneyland so thought that they might as well use them - hence the Anaheim thing.

I liked Donna's idea about Disneyland Hotel, but they had booked out already on the days that they are there. Would have been fun though, I had heard that they had a mickey mouse shaped swimming pool! Never mind, maybe next time. I think that they will probably be better off at the airport anyway as they will be really tired (I think it is 17 hours to LA from here last time I checked) so I took Rainey's advice and booked them into the Embassy suites at the airport.

I agree with your sentiments about Disney, Donna. I went to Disneyworld a couple of times and while it was fun, it was definitely a 'small doses' kind of a place

Thanks again everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: