Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Curries with a Crockpot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Curries with a Crockpot Reply with quote

I've noticed that a few of you have mentioned that you use a Crockpot for cooking curry. I've been toying with the idea for a long time, and now that the weather is cooling down, it sounds very tempting. But I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of experimenting with unknown equipment, and was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to modify conventional recipes for use in a Crockpot. I've seen Crockpot recipe books, but I still don't know how to use the machine for cooking traditional Asian curries.

What do you use your slow cooker for? Do you have tips and ideas for cooking Asian curries in a slow cooker?

Thanks,
Nima
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested to see some recipies too. Have made many stews etc in my crockpot in Sydney... but never a curry.... interesting and very appealing on this cool rainy day..
Franca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Indian rogan josh a la crockpot Reply with quote

I can imagine that rogan josh (Indian lamb curry) could turn out nicely in a crockpot. On the stovetop, it's a dish that is supposed to sit and simmer for a good long time, so in a crockpot, it could only turn out more tender.

Here's the recipe that I use: http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/indian/03/rec0324.html
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Franca, using that recipe, would you recommend turning everything out of the skillet and into the crockpot just before adding the water? I understand that the seasonings for curries must be fried to have the authentic flavor.

Needing to be out of the house by 7:15 or 7:30 AM, I guess what I would do is - do all the prep and initial cooking the night before and store in the refrigerator overnight. Then, plop it in the crockpot with water early in the morning, before I leave for work. I do love walking into the house when the crockpot has been going all day! Laughing
nima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franca, Donna...sorry for the long delay in responding. And thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the recipe in the link, and would love to give it try, but I was wondering about yoghurt in the recipe. Can you put dairy in a crockpot for a long period of time, or will it curdle? I'm assuming the ingredients get fried on the stovetop, before going into the slow cooker.

Thanks for your help!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: