Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Kale -- does anyone cook with it or use it like cabbage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Kale -- does anyone cook with it or use it like cabbage? Reply with quote

Down here in Alabama, purple (Russian) kale and white kale are used as decorative plants most often around mailboxes. I've cooked kale and cabbage together along with wild onions and other garden greens like parsley and turnips to make a vegetable broth or soup.

Has anyone noticed any problems with eating kale? I was wondering if a frequent nightly cough was linked to my eating kale.

After the New-Year episode with the family food poisoning by the daffodils, I'm a little bit leary of what goes in the soup pot.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kale is a wonderful veggie with a big nutrition boost. I can't imagine it causing a cough. The only concern would be to someone who is on blood-thinning meds. They would want to avoid the great concentation of vit K in the dark, leafy veggies.

That being said, I'm concerned that you may be eating an "ornamental" kale that's intended as a showy landscaping plant. I don't know that that designation means it's unsafe to eat, but it won't be the best eating you'll have if you want to have kale.

Are you in an area where you have a county agricultural agent? They could advise you.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm Kale! I love it. I buy the dark green stuff in the produce section. Haven't ever tried eating the ornamentals but have been known to line platters of raw veggies with them when I was catering. However, I was careful to use kale that I knew had not been sprayed with pesticides.

I once developed a horrible cough and sore throat from working with raw wool that had been accidentally sprayed during shipping (I'm a textiles artist in my non-food life).

When I make the traditional Irish dish, colcannon, I now use kale almost exclusively instead of cabbage. The dark green is prettier than pale cabbage when mixed with the mashed potatoes, and I prefer the flavor. I also like it alone, cooked in a little broth.
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't been eating my kale soup for the past week and my cough was gone. That's why I thought there might be a link. Well, last night I had a bowl of the kale cum cabbage soup. No cough all night. So, I guess there was no link between my kale and my cough.

Yes, I am eating the ornamental kale -- but, it takes fine to me. Again, mine is slow cooked for about 7 hours in a big pot with cabbage and other garden greens.
shelli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a pasta sauce by melting anchovies in good olive oil, adding garlic and chopped up kale and braising with some white wine or broth until kale is soft. Toss with penne or similar pasta. This also works without the pasta as a vegetable with roast chicken or grilled fish.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shelli & welcome to the C&Z forums. Your kale and pasta sounds delicious. I have some good anchovies, olive oil and garlic. This sounds like a quick weeknight recipe & I plan to try it soon.
Sydneygirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have trouble locating kale here when I do have it I love to cook it with some lardons and sauteed onions, sometimes even with a few sultanas-yum! Usually we eat this accompanied by whatever protein is around.
wildblues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kale is comfort food for me. On October evenings in New York State when I was a young girl I would climb the hill to the garden with a wide basket and a flashlight and the instructions to pick enough kale for dinner. Back in the bright kitchen, each leaf would be individually washed and the leafy bits stripped from the central stem. We would cover the bottom of a big, deep saucepan with half an inch of salted water, bring it to the boil, and then throw all the kale in, cover it and steam until bright and encouragingly tender, somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. We would gather it with tongs and pour melted butter over it, eating it immediately- it gets cold quickly. I loved its saltiness and lively texture and the way the butter ran down my chin. In elementary school when asked to list my favorite foods, kale was always right after wild blueberry muffins. I still love it - its quick and stunningly healthy while really being a pleasure to eat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: