Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Learning about wine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I would say a grenache with the lamb but the curry adds a new dimension......and yoghurt on top of that....that's a hard one. A really GOOD (big) Chardonnay might work. I think I'd take a bottle of grenache and a bottle of chardonnay and hope one works. Sounds like a fun night though, whatever you decide to take. Post back after the dinner and let us know.
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Cow. I am enjoying reading this wine-and-food discussion. But it is making me feel like the character Myshkin in Dostoyevsky's novel The Idiot.

Even David's risotto recipe makes me feel so vulgar -- using the traditional sense of the word. And Dairy_Queen with her collection of 600 cookbooks and others who subscribe to cooking magazines -- wow, I don't own a cookbook and don't have a single recipe. I feel like a cowboy on the trail.
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape, does it matter? Are you enjoying yourself? I, for one, enjoy your "company"...and this is a great learning experience...for all of us.

Barbara: thanks for the input. I was thinking one white & one red simply for the reason you mentioned...I hope one works. I definitely prefer reds myself & haven't had white wine in ages....but it might just be what is called for here. The dinner isn't for another month...but I will post back once it's done.
David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Sarape---your free-style approach to cooking is to be envied! I certainly haven't your imagination----and remember, it wasn't even my recipe!
simona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curried lamb ( including yoghurt) . OK, I have no idea what wine can match this, but if it's an indian(?) recipe , maybe somebody with some knowledge of indian cuisine could tell what goes with it. Something on the sweet scale, maybe, or do I really miss the point?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,
I just posted that you should start a thread on wine and here I find one! Questions will follow soon!

"It's hot ham water."
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
But Sarape---your free-style approach to cooking ...

Laughing Laughing

That's great! Next time someone asks me "What's that you're eating?", I'll say, "It's free style."
Erin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, What did you do while working in the wine industry? I have been curious about rose, but in all honesty, am a tad embarassed to buy pink wine. I read an article in Food and Wine about a pairing dinner with sparkling rose and everything from sausages to gravlax, and I was thinking about attempting the same dinner one of these days. My knowledge is pretty limited on this wine, do you have any recommendations or guildlines for selecting one? I don't even know what to look for, I am more of a bordeaux, pinot drinker.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not generally rose drinkers either. But on that golf/wine trip to the Okanagan we purchased a case of a beautiful rose from Quail's Gate. The woman said it went very well with TURKEY and she was spot on! We often order "un pichet de rose" with lunch when travelling in France.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin - I love rose...but unfortunately there is a lot of bad rose around. When buying wine, it is best to develop a relationship with a (good) wine store, attend tastings and get to know the staff.....they will understand your tastes and will look after you. I never buy wine in supermarkets as I have a greater choice of quality wine from my local wine store and the staff are extremely knowledgable...and they do weekly tastings of good wine. Supermarket tastings are usually the lower tier wines of a wine company.

True rose is made from red grapes where the grapes are pressed and the skins are removed from the juice after only a few hours. The wine is then processed in the manner of white wine. It is drunk chilled and young. The advantage of rose wine is the tannins are lighter than red wine but the wine has the crispness of white wine.

Rose is an ideal summer wine - but I've been known to drink it in winter also! It goes well with chicken or turkey (as David mentioned). I like it with a simple pasta (olive oil, parmesan,basil), it would also work with tomatoes. It goes well with cold slices of roasted lamb. I haven't tried it with ham but I'm sure it would be nice . Seafood - maybe try baked whole fish with spices. It goes especially well with sunshine and sitting in the sun with friends.

It can also be served with summer fruits. On a summer afternoon slice a few strawberries into a glass and top it with a chilled rose - leave it an hour - then drink the wine and eat the strawberries. This works well with peaches and red wine too.

One of my favourtite roses is from Mendoza (Argentina) made by the Lurton Brothers called Lurton Rosada. Their wines are available in the US so you might be able to find some.

Then there is sparkling rose and there are some great pink champagnes. Louis Roederer is one of my favourites.

Some wine snobs are disparaging of rose wines but to me rose is summer days, friends, food and conversation.

I worked for a wine distributor as sales support for the duty free shops where my job involved staff training and incentives, promotions and organising wine tastings . The company distributed NZ wines as well as Australian, Italian and French wine and liqueurs.

With Indian food I always drink beer.... I find it the better food/drink match. My husband gave me a beer making kit for Christmas and I'm about to make my first batch.

I'm still recovering from the after effects of my chemo treatment and limit myself to half a glass of wine every second day...but I savour every mouthful and really enjoy it.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh! I am developing many plans! I think a warm summer evening having dinner in my garden will be a lovely way to test a rose.

I have yet to find a proper wine shop since moving to Long Island. I tend to get frustrated as the prices where I live are terribly inflated. I find wine here that I bought $3 to $8 cheaper back in Seattle, it is all about principal. Back home we shopped frequently at a place called Esquin in the industrial district of Seattle. They catered mainly to people who buy in large quantities so the prices were really good, and they really work to educate their customers. Phil and I went to their tastings on Saturdays usually coming away with too many bottles. Out here I have yet to find a place like that. Their are several vinyards here but have yet to find a local wine I enjoy. Raphael Vinyards had a very nice reserve merlot , and the staff was great. At the end of June we are going to rent a car with some friends and tour the vinyards, hopefully I will find a few more gems. The wine business here is still very young and I know this may sound funny, but you can actually taste it.

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenn at this blog http://www.lenndevours.com/ promotes Long Island Wines. He might be able to steer you in the right direction. The Wine Blogging Wednesdays May event is being hosted by Becks and Posh and is on Rose wine so check their blog at http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/ after 10th May for results - you may get some suggestions there. I'm off out today to buy my rose to taste test.

A Rose dinner int the garden sounds delightful. I now have two seasons to plan something in my own garden come summer!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite wines are sparklings and Jacob's Creek have recently released a Sparkling Rose that you might be interested in, Barbara. It's a lovely drop!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Barbara, I will check them out.

We have Jacobs Creek here but I have never tried it, thanks for the recommendation Judy.

"It's hot ham water."
Dawna

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Learning about wine Reply with quote

Hello! New member here - I'm in Vancouver, BC.

It can be a bit hard to pair wines with curries - and it sort of depends on what kind of curry it is. I love Indian food, and often simply go with beer for curries, but if pressed on a wine, I might give a dry riesling or a pinot blanc a try. Pinot gris/grigio could also work, if you get one with decent acids.

It is nice to read all of the complimentary things about BC's growing wine industry! It certainly has come a long way since I started drinking wines almost 20 years ago. We now produce some very respectable reds along with the whites. I am a fan of big red wines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: