Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Learning about wine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona wrote:
Then, pragmatical me, thought: why don't you change the dish if there is no wine to match it ?

Simona: forgive me, I overlooked this part of your post. It is not my decision to make. That is the main course and we have been designated to come up with a wine to match that course.

Having said that, I was outside this evening talking to my neighbours (who are organizing this dinner) and I mentioned my dilemma. They told me that the curry is not strong and resembles more of a mustardy glaze than a true curry. Sheesh! And now I have all these other recommendations! It's supposed to be an "educational" evening so, believe me, I will have lots to say about wines & curry by the time I get there. My poor husband won't be able to get a word in edgewise (as if that is ever different!)
David

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And JustMe, you'll have much to tell us AFTER the dinner. We'll all have our eyes open for that post!
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my wine tasting dinner is still 2 weeks away & no, I haven't reached a decision yet as to which two bottles of wine I will be taking....I promise a full report after the dinner. I have told the hosts about all the various recommendations and they are quite impressed with my "research" (or maybe they think I'm crazy??!!) Thanks to all of you for your help.

For my birthday my husband signed us up for a wine tasting course (after numerous hints). So starting in June for 4 weeks we will be tasting wines of the "New World" (California, Canada, Australia and South America). Too bad the course isn't before the dinner! Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for wine and I haven't been reading this thread but when I saw this story this morning it instantly reminded me of the colorful words people use to describe the flavors and aromas of wine. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-05/cp-wis051205.php I think what this suggests is that searching for and using descriptive vocabulary would actually stimulate the parts of the brain that permit the maximum pleasure potential.

I thought you might be interested if someone hadn't noticed this earlier.
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so interesting.

Just last night I was waling home and I passed a road smell which reminded me of cheese. Since I love cheese, the smell was a good one. However, I knew it wasn't cheese but a decaying animal or plant or sewage of some sort.

And I was thinking how thin the line is between a good smell like cheese, and a bad one like rotten food.
JustMe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the wine tasting is over. My 2 selections came in second & third place (out of 8 selections). The winner was a dessert wine cocktail from Denmark that was just so unique it got the highest rating...Kirsberry...doing this from memory so I am not 100% sure I have the right spelling.

The 2 wines I ended up taking were both Australian & both were very impressive:
Jamieson Run Reserve, Coonawarra 1999 (delisted by the LCBO....so almost gone...and ON SALE...bonus!)
Taltarni, Shiraz 2001

As soon as I have a moment I will be doing a full review on my blog....but not today!
Dawna

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOh! I like the Coonawarra, but I haven't had the other one. I'll be checking your blog for further details...
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone interested, here is a more detailed report on my wine tasting dinner. http://burntwater.blogspot.com/2005/05/wine-tasting_31.html
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great night Just me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: