Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cooktop: Induction or Gas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Cooktop: Induction or Gas? Reply with quote

I thought I was sold on the concept of an electric oven in a unit with a gas top. Then I saw a bit on how much induction technology has improved. I love the concept of a wipe clean top that functions as additional counter when not heated.

What do you guys use or recommend?

I'm thinking Miele as the KitchenAid I thought I wanted isn't all that highly rated for the money and no one I've found out in net cooking land seems to have tried it.
friend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Induction is too futuristic for me. Is it just a fad or will it become mainstream? Time will tell, but for me cooking is organic and timeless. We don't own a microwave and a Cuisinart and micro graters are the only "gadgets" you'll find in my kitchen.

But at the end of the day I wouldn't go with induction because not all pots and pans work properly on the cook top. We converted our electric kitchen to gas and went with a professional grade hood for ventilation. If space is an issue, check out Jenn-Air downdrafts, Viking Drop Ins, a couple Kenmore Elites, and the Frigidaire Professional Series.

Also, I know you are early stages...so check out this months Food and Wine for some cool kitchen ideas!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am torn on this subject. I love cooking with gas but, the fear of a gas leak, irrational as it may be, keeps me from it. Though I will say there is nothing better. Induction heat is nice and I enjoy cooking with it as long as you are dilligent in using the special cleaner. My mom's aged in appearance very quickly. Have fun with your decision.

I lied when I said there was nothing better. My dream range is an Aga. We ran across a few of these in England and fell in love.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so funny to me that when I stop by a magazine rack, I keep picking up British kitchen design mags. They seem to be very big on induction "hobs". I'm seeing 5 of them for every Aga.

They also have these fantastic vertical electrical stations that sit under a little round plate on the counter until needed and then pop up with 6 or 8 outlets. I'm sure they wouldn't pass code here (the concept of spilled or sitting water being able to seep into an electrical junction doesn't seem so hot) but they are awfully seductive!

Thanks for the tips about special pans (I think my flat-bottomed, laminated metal pans would work out fine) and the unattractive wear (I'll ask about that one). I also have to investigate the simmer.
charlsy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Induction seems so practical, once you are sure your pots and pans are compatible. Also much easier to clean, since the spills don't burn ! But I do like to cook on gas...
I suppose Miele is probably a good choice, maybe more expensive than the average range, but quality-wise... I have a 23 year old Miele washing machine, with only a small leak to detract from her otherwise perfect performance, and that will be solved shortly, and a 23 year old Miele microwave which I use everyday. The germans know how to build strong ! I only managed to destroy my Miele vacuum cleaner by shortcircuiting it !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: