Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Who celebrates Halloween?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jackolanterns.net/celtshalloween.htm

Here is a link i found one year, with an interesting summary. Depending on your personal view of history, the rise of the power of the Vatican had a lot to do with the morphing of holiday traditions.

What this link doesn't explain is the current state of Halloween in Ireland. Does anyone know?

I have cousins in England, so I know it is pretty low key there. In fact, considered an American holiday. In their neighborhood, those with American roots put out jack-o-lanterns so the kids know which houses they can stop by for trick-or-treating.
champ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallowe'en, as a child, some 50 years ago, was one of my favourite times of the year. My next door neighbour (the father of two girls) had the most wonderful Hallowe'en parties with firework displays in his back garden for all the children in the area. He would have a 'bran tub' the garage where we would forrage for a gift, and there was a bowl where we would 'duck for apples' - try and grab the apples floating in water, with our teeth! We would all dress up, whatever way we liked, "fancy dress" but including a mask for our face so no one would know who we were (or so we thought!). We would have a cut out turnip with a face, a candle inside, and go around the houses to neighbours who would give us pennies (old money before decimalization) or if you were particularly lucky, a candy apple - there was no threat of 'trick or treat' as that hadn't hit us in the 1950's!

With 'The Troubles' of the 70's and 80's in Northern Ireland, Hallowe'en was very different for the children of those times. Fireworks were banned, so the wonderful, naive childhood we had was gone. But thankfully peace has returned and whilst a licence is required for fireworks, they are once again available and children come round the doors, dressed up, now with a pumpkin instead of the turnip, asking 'Trick or Treat' - we have become 'Americanized'!

Great earlier posts, I will read again when I have more time. My last memorable Hallowe'en was when visiting friends at Port Moody, Vancouver, in 1992 so I do know how much they like to celebrate there. I still have my wonderful childhood memories every year at this time!
That's why they call it the present ....
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a different approach to a Jack-O-Lantern:
bluedog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, whereever did you find this? I have a carving contest at work, and this is a great idea! (although i won't waste my $ on real hamburger!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: