Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

I've just quit my job!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: I've just quit my job! Reply with quote

After 26 years of nursing, including most of the last 20 years working night shifts, and the last 3 years nursing oncology and palliative care patients, I've quit. My final shift ended this morning.

At the moment I have no idea what I'd going to do, but I'm sure I'll think of something after I've caught up on all the sleep I've missed. That will take us up to about February 2007. I love nursing, but the hours and conditions have taken their toll, and I'm ready for a change. It's such a relief to have finally made the decision and done something about it instead of just whinge and put up with a crumbling, failing system.

So I'll have more time for my family and for cooking, reading and I won't be constantly tired. I'm looking forward to it!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
swan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, congratulations!!!!

How wonderful. I wish you lots of sleep and lots of happy times!!
David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Judy! You've certainly paid your dues! 20 years of night shifts---how ghastly! Shift work was one of the main reasons I quit nursing too.

I just know the future holds something fun and exciting for you.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I hope you relish every minute of your time.

"It's hot ham water."
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY Judy.....how exciting....my husband just went to 3 twelve hr weekend days and has more days at home so he's happy....says he is now looking forward to working 2 days
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Félicitations! What a courageous choice you've made. Sometimes it's so easy to just stay and b**** instead of sucking it up and make the hard decision. You are thinking outside the box! Laughing
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,

Good luck finding something new. I know what it's like to be free of a job that wears you down/out. But wanting to work in museums I also know what it's like to be qualified and experienced but unemployed. Which is why altho' I am glad you're free of being worn out I am also hoping you find something worthy of you - that makes you happy too.

But in the meantime, take the time to stop and stare... just not in public or people will wonder if you've lost it!! Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy- I missed that until now! Hooray for doing something courageous and taking care of yourself now! I know some wonderful opportunity will come along and that some new organization will be very lucky to have you.

Right now, I hope you will enjoy the great pleasure of owning your own time! Maybe later working with kids will give you a boost from the other end of life's spectrum and energy.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Judy you are full of surprises. No hint of it when you were here. Was it a sudden decision or spur of the moment? Well done though. Good luck in what venture you decide to take on.
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judy,

Congratulations! 20 years of night shifts is too much for anyone, enjoy your rest and I hope you find something a bit less frantically paced (as I know nursing can be).
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Most of the time I'm feeling pretty excited about it, but occasionally I have brief thoughts of 'What am I going to do?'. But then I answer myself ... 'Anything I want to!'. And I haven't once wondered why I quit. I know why, and so do all my workmates. I'm sure most of them wish they could too.

Barbara, I guess it's been coming for a while. On our flight home from NZ I started thinking that if I really wanted to build up my online retailing business, I should take time off work now to concentrate on the pre-Christmas buyers. But I came up with excuses like - the hospital's rosters are already done, I'd be letting people down, I'm already taking all of December off to travel, etc, etc.

I have joked for a long time that every morning at 5am I wonder what on earth I'm doing awake at such a crazy time, then when it gets light I get over it. Well on Monday morning, probably at around 5am, I just thought 'I don't have to do this any more, I've had enough'. And I kept on thinking about it for the rest of the morning. The shift I'd worked was actually quite reasonable, not one of the ones where ALL the wheels fall off and things just keep going wrong. So I knew I was making a rational decision, not one based on the stress of the moment. And now it's done, I'm happy.

For a long time I've wanted to be a baker, but their hours are even worse than nursing shifts. I'll look into it, though, and have a think about it.

Emilyj, let's get together for that cup of coffee at Central Market. And have you been to the Farmers' Market at the showgrounds? It's brilliant!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
kathie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,
You could be talking about me. I too work nights on a palliative care unit (but in France and I've only been doing it for two years and I'm part time, so not exactly like you!) I love it, but I can understand what you say when you have a night when all the wheels fall off!
Hope you get to find something where you feel in the right place.
charlsy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a brave decision ! I hope you do get lucky in your new life !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,

I am so very happy for you, from one nurse to another. Its been twenty years in medicine for me, too, and I relish the thought of someday being able to sleep through a sunrise, either from the incoming or outgoing end of a work shift.

Nurses are unique people, and its not unusual to find one who uses their hands to care, heal and nurture in one way, and then go off to find another way to fill a person's soul...Let your new one be with flour, yeast, butter and much hand-kneading.

There is much healing to be had over a steaming slab of handmade bread.

Enjoy!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still enjoying the leisure, Judy, or are you beginning to look around?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: