Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Dishes with caviar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chmok

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Dishes with caviar? Reply with quote

What recipes do you know?
My Russian friends will come to me next week. I've heard they like it. How do they eat it? I don't know...
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishes with caviar? Reply with quote

Chmok wrote:
What recipes do you know?
My Russian friends will come to me next week. I've heard they like it. How do they eat it? I don't know...

With a spoon! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, could not resist.

I eat it just as is, but do know that other people eat it in/on things. Proper really truely caviar is not an everyday item in my eating habits, so when I have it I enjoy it as is.
suzy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were lucky and rich enough to have some nice caviar, here's how I would serve it:

Lightly toast some nice white bread thinly sliced. Cut off the crusts and each slice into quarters (diagonally, so you have triangles.)

Finely mince some onion and put into a lovely little dish.

Hard boil an egg and push the yolk through a fine sieve into another lovely dish and do the same with the white into yet another dish.

Put your chilled caviar into a dish (maybe a glass or crystal one set in ice) or just serve it out of it's little glass container.

Serve the caviar with a small spoon that is not silver (it reacts). There are small bone spoons made for this.

To eat: put a glob of caviar on a toast point, garnish with a bit of the egg yolk, egg white, and minced onion. Or just eat the caviar on toast alone.

With this drink a dry sparkling white or a champagne.

OK now I'm really hungry.
suzy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Lightly butter the toast points (unsalted butter.)
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the jar, dig in with a shell spoon, place a spoonful on your tongue and press against the roof of your mouth. The eggs will pop and it's an experience to be enjoyed. I think I usually close my eyes at this point. It's the best way to eat caviar.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooo! I just love the saltiness (anyone suprised?) and the little explosive "pop" of caviar! My favorite way is just a bit of sliced yolk on something so thin it just holds it all up topped with a generous spoonful. I like the smooth, dry richness of the yolk with the fireworks and wetness of the caviar.
suzy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara's right. If no one is around, I forgo the spoon and use my finger.

I was trying to think about the request for how to serve it to company!
simona

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chmok????
Love your name.
Enjoy your caviar, Chmok!
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona- Are you still here for what some of us call our "silly season" (pre-election day)? Or are you safely returned from your trip?

Hope it was fun!
bluedog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as i love caviar, if your friends are coming from Russia, maybe they would like to taste something local to your area?

For example, i would not be very excited to turn up in italy an be served salmon, instead of some local delicacy. even though i love salmon, i get plenty of it here the NW, and tend to be a bit snobbish about the quality eslewhere.

Also, there is currently a ban on importing beluga (and some other types) caviar. there are american farm raised varieties avialable, but i could not begin to tell you if they are good.

these are just my humble thoughts, so if you have your heart set on caviar, then our many friends have offered delicious suggestions. And I will add that when i was in russia recently, we had it on little buckwheat pancakes with a dollop of sour cream. yum! Wink
pistache

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With sour cream on top of a baked potato.....
pistache

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or how about this from Caviar Star ?

Warm Oysters with Cucumber & Caviar Butter

1 box whole black peppercorns (for garnish)
1 box kosher salt (for garnish)
8 ounces seaweed (for garnish)
24 small oysters, shells scrubbed
1 seedless gourmet cucumber
4 ounces (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Salt and pepper
1/4 lemon
3 large shallots, peeled and finely diced
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 ounces caviar, Osetra preferred
Mix enough peppercorns and salt to cover 4 oven-proof plates. Place a generous handful on each plate and spread it evenly. Top with seaweed and set plates aside. Shuck the oysters. Refrigerate oysters and place six bottom shells atop the seaweed on each plate. (Recipe may be prepared ahead to this point.) Heat oven to 450 degrees. Peel cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, and then slice crosswise into 1/8-inch half-moon pieces. Place in a saucepan with 1tablespoon butter and cook over low heat until just tender but not soft. Season with salt and pepper, squeeze of lemon juice and keep warm. In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the shallots with 1 tablespoon butter. When the shallots are soft, add the wine and boil until it is almost entirely evaporated. Working on and off the heat, make a beurre blanc by whisking in the remaining 6 tablespoons butter-a tablespoon or two at a time, making sure it does not liquefy. Hold in a warm place but not over direct heat. In each shell, make a bed of several cucumber slices and top with an oyster. Place plates in oven until oysters are warmed but not cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Season the beurre blanc to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Remove plates from the oven and spoon 1 tablespoon butter sauce over each oyster, top with caviar and serve with your favorite Champagne or white wine.
Chmok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O thanks! Now I know what to do!
As for me, I eat this wonderful product taking a spoon full of it in one hand and a slice of bread in another hand. And it was the question for me: how to do it "aesthetically"?
My friends are from Russia and I have an opportunity now to buy not very expensive caviar. From my friends I know that caviar in Russia not everyday product but they love it too much. So I want to gladden them, I like them very much.
Chmok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona wrote:
Chmok????
Love your name.
Enjoy your caviar, Chmok!

From your avatar I guess you know what does it mean. Do you?
simona

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I know, dear Chmok. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I still love your Chutzpe. Are you a guy Chmok, or a girl Chmok(it) (feminine of Chmok).
Enjoy your caviar all the same. On the rocks, in a crystal bowl and with a spoon of course. And Vodka. Of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: