Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Recipes for kiwifruit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulkarn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Recipes for kiwifruit? Reply with quote

I just received a dozen not quite ripe kiwis in my organic produce delivery. Any ideas about what to do with them? I have a recipe for kiwi sorbet and that is about it. I'd like to use them in savory dishes or salads if anyone has any ideas. Many thanks.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually eat them raw or in a fruit salad with strawberries and bananas.

I have made a sauce to serve with fish which is quite nice. I steamed the fish (with some slivers of ginger) over some water to which I had added some smoked black tea. For the sauce - 2 kiwifruit (crushed and then sieved),juice of a lemon, 1 teaspoon of sugar. The taste was excellent and it all looked stunning on the plate.
bulkarn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that fish sounds excellent, what I'm looking for. Thanks so much, Barbara.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make kiwi fruit chutney to go with meat. This recipe is almost the same as the one from the NZ flour book (cannot remember name of it sorry).

6 kiwis diced
two large onions diced
1 clove garlic minced
250g sultanas
dash of ginger and a few cloves
salt and pepper
250ml malt vinegar
cup dark brown sugar

saute onion and garlic till translucent but NOT browned, in a small amount of olive oil
add kiwi, sultanas and spices
cook till slightly softened but not mushy
add sugar and vinegar, mix well
simmer till sultanas plump and very soft and kiwi starting to lose shape.

The vinegar should reduce to almost nothing and you will be left with a moist chutney which is great on all meats and with hard cheeses and bread.

I have also added wattle seeds, and another time lemon myrtle. All variations are delicious.

This is a favourite that I make each year for sale at the British club. I get requests for it all through the year and wind up making many, many jars of it which sell within the first 30mins of sale. A definate winner.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie - this sounds delicious. I must try it. There is a place in Western Australia that makes lemon myrtle fudge. I love it.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, yum. The fudge sounds delicious. I really like lemon myrtle as a flavouring. There is always Australian herbs and spices in my cupboard and I love using them. The lemon myrtle is also good sprinkled on pan fried or grilled fish.

We tasted some of my cranberry, apple and chilli chutney last night. It was so good! I was really pleased. I had made it for the sale at the club using stuff on hand (dried cranberries, sultanas, apples etc), and just made up the recipe. Had given all of it away to the sale and to a friend. She opened it and we ate it with oatcakes and aged basque cheese. Now I am kicking myself that I didn't keep any jars for me!! Oh well, will just have to try and remember what I did and try to recreate it.......
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made Debbie's chutney this morning. It is sensational. I could eat it by the spoonful.
I don't know how to post a picture here of the jar but you can check it out here.
http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/11/kiwi_fruit_chut.html
climbeyalex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love kiwi fruit, but mostly eaten just as it is or frozen. The I became allergic to it and gave up eating them Sad But the posts have been so interesting. A chutney. Yum!
________
Plymouth Pronto specifications
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: