Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

no knead bread - and GOOOOOOD!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that sounds good!
bjames

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: 18 hour no knead bread Reply with quote

I have made the no-knead bread several times and LOVE it. My question is about the "crackling sound" that everybody says they hear when it is taken out of the oven during its cooling period. Why do I not hear it? If I put my ear right up next to the bread, I may hear an occasional, isolated cracking sound or two, but NOTHING like described by all! Why is this characteristic missing from my otherwise perfect bread?
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjames, I think (and I may be really wrong about this) when people talk about the crackling, they are discussing the incredible crackle you get when first cutting the bread that this recipe creates. The crust is a crisp as a cracker. I have never heard it crackle coming out of the oven either.

Now that we've resurrected the topic, however, I'd like to repeort that Sam received a fish poacher for Christmas - to use for bread baking!

He has already used it to make a loaf of bread from Shirley Corriher's Cookwise cookbook - he made the Mighty Multi-Grain bread (page 54) and formed a lo-o-o-ng loaf. It was just brilliant. I am hoping for something more baguette-y next time. He would have had to halve the dough on this recipe for it to be a baguette. For me, the ratio between crust (oh, yum!) and insides is just perfect in a nice skinny baguette! I'll let you know if he manages it with the new pan! Laughing
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-believers, feast your ears--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLUXNr_G1xg

I've made this bread maybe 14-15 times, it crackled loudly only twice.
I think the moisture and heat in the bread AND in the kitchen air have to be just right when the loaf is taken from the oven.
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Embarassed I'm sure glad I added a caveat about possible being wrong! Thanks GP! Very interesting! I'd better listen more closely next time!
CarlaH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no one can say that I am not a late starter, would you believe that I just baked this bread a few days ago and totally love the results. Why oh why did I wait so long? On a related note, where do you all store your breads - I read somewhere that it should not be stored in the refrigerator.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla - Glad you had good success with this great recipe!

To answer your storage question, I would never keep bread in the fridge (I'd worry about flavor anesthesia + molding), but then again I live in a rather temperate/dry part of the world.

What works for us is to wrap the loaf in a paper bag (French bread is always sold in a thin paper bag so we use that), and wrap that tightly in a cloth bread bag. (Or, before we had the bread bag, a dishtowel.) Bread keeps very well that way.

I've recently started making bread with a wild yeast starter, and in addition to the great flavor, those loaves stay fresh even longer.
CarlaH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Clotilde, I'll try that method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: