Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

according to Elizabeth David, this is...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: according to Elizabeth David, this is... Reply with quote

"just about the most revolting dish ever devised.’’

(the recipe) was found inside Ulster Fare, published in 1945 by the Belfast Women’s Institute Club.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/good-living/the-most-revolting-dish-ever/2009/07/28/1248546719630.html

Are you ready?

Italian Salad

1 pint cold cooked macaroni

1/2 pint cooked or tinned pears

1/2 pint grated raw carrot

French dressing

2 heaped tbsp minced onion

1/2 pint cooked or minced string beans

Mix the chopped macaroni and vegetables and moisten with French dressing, flavouring with garlic if you like. Serve on a dish lined with lettuce leaves. Decorate with mayonnaise and minced pimento or chives.

with thoughts of Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin and Elizabeth David

frightened pears methinks
macaroni questioning
tell me what you eat
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, I am.....speechless with horror!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask, I guess this is a Devil's Advocate question, about the conditions and options in 1945 in that place ? Raw carrots. raw onions, someones carefully lovingly preserved pears, haricots verts. French dressing. I don't know if this is horrible or not..
Besides, let me submit this:
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/recipes/view.cfm?id=447 Shocked
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! Tough choice here. At first, I kept reading "peas" for "pears" in the first recipe and actually thought it sounded not unlike other pasta-vegetable concoctions I've seen even now. That "French dressing" is a bit suspicious, but...And then I realize it reads "pears" (I think my subconscious refused to recognize that word) and that pretty much changes everything, especially with the onions and garlic option.

HOWEVER...gingerpale weighed in...I don't know, guys. Eggs. White sauce. Potato chips (always a winner). Shrimp (canned, I'm sure). Tough to beat that combination.

This could end up being a really fun forum! By the way, old church fund-raising cookbooks are rich sources of such culinary delights. I'm off to do a bit of research in the ones on my bookshelf...
Deste

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:
Can I ask, I guess this is a Devil's Advocate question, about the conditions and options in 1945 in that place ? Raw carrots. raw onions, someones carefully lovingly preserved pears, haricots verts. French dressing. I don't know if this is horrible or not..
Besides, let me submit this:
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/recipes/view.cfm?id=447 Shocked
Good point, gingerpale! What "French dressing" meant then, I hope, is vinaigrette as opposed to the sweet orange-red bottled stuff in the 60's and 70's.

Hard-boiled eggs added to just about anything other than salade nicoise (for some reason, okay) cause shudders, so I think you win. But I take Elizabeth David's salad and raise her: http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html

a Tator Tot Casserole (scroll down) which I am guessing would be so much better with a little Vegemite!
Deste

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia wrote:
By the way, old church fund-raising cookbooks are rich sources of such culinary delights. I'm off to do a bit of research in the ones on my bookshelf...
Another place to look: internet postings of folk who have already done that research.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/badgurl/sets/72157605536533794/show/
georgia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I think the Duggars win multiple prizes. When I got to the recipe with "1/2 slab paraffin" melted with chocolate, well...Who can beat that?

I did plan to offer a recipe I found for corned beef hash in aspic, but I think we're past that already. Shocked
Rachel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth David's recipe is mild compared to some I've run across! As Georgia notes, church/synagogue group cookbooks and the like are goldmines of horrific recipes. To wit, my mother has an ORT cookbook from 1966 given to her by her sister which reads like the culinary equivalent of a Stephen King novel. I won't quote any recipes verbatim as I don't want to upset anyone's delicate sensibilities Wink but suffice it to say that just about every single one contains at least one, and usually several, highly processed and/or outright fake ingredients. The one that really sticks in my mind is a lemonade pie which calls for lemonade concentrate, yellow food colouring, and alarming amounts of gelatin and margarine.

(In defense of my mom and aunt, both excellent cooks, I think the only recipe they've ever used from it is the latkes. It's pretty hard to inject evil ingredients into those...)
David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno Rachel, I'm thinking Spam Latkes!

My my but many of these are uniformly horrific. But I give first prize for gumption to Deste for actually forcing us to gaze in disbelief at that flicker show! My god!!!!!!! And a special prize goes to georgia for not expanding on the "corn beef hash in aspic".. i may not sleep tonight.....
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachel, what is an ORT cookbook?
Thanks

No more war! kill, destroy, smash.... the ugly food!
( actually, I don't see what's wrong with pears in the macaroni salad - it's the onions I would take out.)
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband's boss had us for dinner a while back and made us a family specialty. It was a giant casserole of a few chicken bits, cream, vast amounts of oleo, and canned cream of chicken soup. I had initially thought I could get away with only eating the chicken, but little did I know that there was not enough there to make a difference. I could have won an Oscar for my performance, but instead was given a photocopy of the horrific recipe the next day. Nice man, terrible recipe.

I wold tell you about my mother's recipe for "thighs surprise", but we had a ceremonial recipe burning after dinner was over. Oddly enough, our parents hated it as much as we did, and yet we didn't ditch it and order pizza. Waste not apparently.

I think my sister's mother in-law makes that tater tot casserole. Yech.

"It's hot ham water."
georgia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know Erin's husband's boss:...

Some years ago, we were invited (with another couple, dear friends) to mutual friends' home for dinner. Usually, we dined out with these folks. This time, they entertained us. Dinner for 6 of us, including 3 large men, was a casserole of chicken bits (same chicken as Erin's casserole, apparently), some celery, a can of sliced water chestnuts, bound together with cream of chicken soup, topped with canned crispy "Chinese noodles". It was 1/2" deep in a 13 x 9 inch pan, approximately 1/2 cup per person. No salad. No bread. There may have been brownies for dessert; I'm not sure.

I'm reminded of the old joke...in reviewing a new restaurant, the critic noted, "The food was terrible, and there was so little of it!"

I try really, really hard to focus on the invitation and be grateful that people extend their hospitality. While great food is always appreciated, it's not always the main thing. But sometimes...we all have to give Oscar-worthy performances.
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona, ORT is a Jewish education and vocational training organisation (I never understood the acronym, and having just looked it up, I now know why - it's Russian). I suppose the chapter my aunt belonged to must have put out the cookbook as a fundraiser, and as my mom's is a second edition, it must have been popular - which is great from a charity standpoint, but rather worrying from a culinary one!
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachel and thanks. I guessed it was the ORT I know, but the cookbook made me think it might be something else. We have lots of ORT vocational schools over here, so I'm familiar with the name. Some of them are highly regarded, some less . I do think they have also a cooking training department. I hope they do better now and the next booklet will have some "edible" recipes.
How was your transition from London back home? Do you miss Europe?

No more war, Latkes are deliciously fattening, but who cares...
msue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local Italian restaurant - a neighborhood icon for close to 40 years - published some popular recipes in a newspaper feature.

To my horror, their top selling pasta dishes call for (and apparently not a misprint) one stick of butter per serving!!!

We haven't been back since. Our new name for the place is "Butter-ooze".

Ick!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: