Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Brunch!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohohcheri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Brunch! Reply with quote

Breakfast foods and the brunch meal hour and tradition are by far my favorite.

This Sunday, I've invited several friends over for brunch, and I'm looking for some fall-appropriate brunch menu suggestions.

Right now I'm thinking about doing a fall fruits salad with apples, pears, grapes, and pomegranate seeds, raisin scones with Clotilde's yogurt scone recipe, and the blackberry and apple bread found here http://joyofbaking.com/breakfast/BlackberryAppleBread.html.

To me, though, it doesn't feel like a proper menu.
I am in college and would rather not bake or make extensively things the day of, as to not wake my roomates too early (ie. must be made right before hand pancakes). So, thats my only constraint.

Ideas? Recipes? What is your favorite brunch dish?
Lovely, thanks.!
macrae

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quiche is a brunch standby for me. I have used Thomas Keller's quiche recipes with great success, specifically from his book Bouchon. It is best made the day before, so it is perfect for brunch! Also- for munchies to set out- these are decadent, but bacon-wrapped breadsticks. You just wrap packaged breadsticks (like Pepperidge Farm) with bacon and put them in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes. When they come out, grate some parm over them and serve. They are addictive!
ohohcheri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quiche! of course. thats a perfect idea. thanks.

but should have also mentioned -- am a vegetatian.

ive made an okay zucchini and gruyere quiche in the past, but this party is all about trying to make sometihng new!!!

whats your favorite (non meat) variety?

merci
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a favorite recipe handed down from my grandmother. Everyone in the family uses it and tweaks it to their taste. The only things you CANNOT change are the bread cubes and the eggs and milk. Laughing

That said, it's not really a recipe so much as a guideline! Laughing We call it Faux Souffle. The great thing is, you make it the night before and put it in the refrigerator overnight.

(N.B. The measurements given here are rough. I haven't used a recipe to make this in years. So just eyeball it and add more or subtract some where you think it needs it. When you pour the milk and egg mixture over the other ingredients, it should cover them pretty competely. The egg and milk soak into the bread and that's what puffs up like a souffle. I occasionally bring this into work in a 9x15 casserole. I use 12-15 eggs and a quart of milk for that.)

For a 9" X 9" casserole:

Butter the casserole.

Cover the bottom of the casserole in a layer of bread cubes. Any kind of bread will do. I used to cut off the crusts, but I don't anymore. I have used baguettes, whole wheat, dinner rolls, Pepperidge Farm Sandwich White, you name it. The cubes should be 1/2 to 3/4 inch - certainly not larger.

Mix 6-8 eggs and 1 1/2 - 2 Cups of milk. Add a dash of nutmeg or cayenne - whatever rings your bell. Add salt and pepper. Mix well.

Chop up an onion, a couple of scallions and parsley. Mince a clove or two of garlic - to your taste.

Grate 2-3 cups of cheese - your choice. I have used cheddar and gruyere. I have sometimes thrown a little goat cheese or parmesan in to give a little bite. I think you want a sharp cheese for the flavor. I personally wouldn't recommend jack or mozzarella - but hey, it's your souffle!

(I always put in some crumbled sausage meat that I've sauteed, but you can skip this or add a soy based sausage. Or you can add grated or diced potato.)

Sprinkle the onion combo and the cheese over the bread. Add sausage and/or potato. Then pour the egg-milk mixture on top.

Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator until 1 hour before you would like to serve it.

The next morning:

Preheat oven to 350ยบ (F).

Pop the souffle in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until brown. ENJOY!!!!!!!!

As you can see, this can be adapted to anyone's taste. The main thing is, you don't have to think about it tn the morning! Cool
macrae

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keller's basic batter for quiche is: 2c milk, 2c heavy cream, 6 large eggs, 1T kosher salt, 1/4 t white pepper, 6 gratings fresh nutmeg. Use a pate brisee crust, pre-baked and cooled. One of his combos is roquefort and leek- just blanch the leeks (3 lbs) for about 5 minutes in salted water, drain and cool them on a rack. Scatter 3 oz roquefort on the bottom of the crust, then half the leeks. Pour batter to halfway and repeat. Cooks for about 1.5 hours at 325. I have not tried this particular quiche, but Thomas Keller has yet to steer me in the wrong direction!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try a variation of quiche that includes cheese, eggs and zucchini, but doesn't have a pastry base, how about a Zucchini Slice. I guess it's a variation of a frittata. I have made it so many times I have lost count. We have it for dinner with a salad, I cut it into small squares for afternoon teas or to have with drinks. It's a great, easy recipe. I'll post it in the Recipe Box section.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Maple Bread Pudding Reply with quote

Do a search on Epicurious.com for "Maple Bread Pudding". Forget the praline and serve with some whipped cream and a drizzle of maple syrup. Trust me folks, this one is a keeper!
ohohcheri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

thank you so much for all the ideas and recipes. The brunch went off without a hitch. You can read about it here. http://ohohcheri.wordpress.com/2006/11/19/half-birthday-brunch-delights/

Even better though, I have up the recipes for the quiche I ended up making, my fall fruits salad, and cinnamon blueberry muffins!! The apple-golden raisin french toast was TO DIE FOR. and so that recipe will be up later today or tomorrow. plus more! mmm scones.

please check them out. i just started up my blog. http://ohohcheri.wordpress.com.

ack! im quite excited. everything was so good! thanks again for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: