Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Australia - NSW and Queensland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hillary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Australia - NSW and Queensland? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've just discovered C&Z and I'm already in love. I've just gone a bit mad and bought myself a 2 1/2 week vacation in Australia for my veterinary school graduation in May. I will be on a budget, but want the best food I can afford - any tips on great deals (I dont eat red meat, pork or poultry, but eat and love seafood) would be appreciated. My itinerary includes:

Ayers Rock
Cairns
Mission Beach
Brisbane
Byron Bay
Sydney including Blue Mountains and Newcastle (planning to do a Hunter Valley wine tour)

Thanks for being here! Very Happy
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hillary

Welcome to C&Z - great to have you as a member! Wow, you're packing in a lot of distance and a lot of places in 2 1/2 weeks. I've been to all the places on your itinerary, but over the last 25 years on different trips to various places.

You'll be able to get good seafood wherever you go along the east coast of Australia. Personally I wouldn't touch seafood when I'm at Uluru (Ayers Rock) because, well, it's in the middle of a very large island/country and any seafood on offer is bound to be frozen, or if it's fresh it would be so expensive it wouldn't be worth it.

May is a great time to visit Queensland. The northern states are getting ready for winter, but up there it's still lovely weather.

You'll have a fantastic holiday!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
SamSprite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hillary,

I imagine you'll have a marvellous time.

Food at Ayers Rock Resort (near Uluru) is very expensive and standards vary.

Newcastle has a great cafe called III Bean (as in Three Bean) on the corner of Tudor and Beaumont Street in a suburb called Hamilton (about 4 kilometres from the city centre and on the bus route 226, 363, 222, 230, 350, 334 or 349). It does suburb food, using as many organic and local products as possible. It can be a little costly but is well worth it; scrambled eggs are about $8 (Australian) while a pot of great soy chai tea is $3.50. It's open from 7am to 5pm Monday - Friday and 7am - 3pm Saturday.

If you like coffee then Suspension at the other (Islington) end of Beaumont Street is recommended. They are a small start-up business with a great feel for their product.

For a great cup of tea/coffee/ice cream/dessert stop, head to Estabar Gelati and & Expresso Bar. It's across the road from the beach in Newcastle: Shop 1, 61 Shortland Esplanade, Newcastle. Great views while enjoying a great gelati (pity it won't be whale season otherwise you could enjoy a drink and gelati while watching the whales migrate up the coast).

I recently went to the Blue Mountains to stay in Katoomba for a couple of days. The walks and the snow and the countryside were fantastic; the food was terrible! I did heaps of research on the internet to find budget-suitable places but none lived up to expectations. I've since spoken to friends who've said if you're not on a budget you can eat really well, though I don't recall where (expect about $30 for a main meal in these more up-market places). Our saviour was the fantastic Blue Mountains Food Co-op in Ha'Penny Lane, Katoomba (under the post office shop). It was such a joy to find.

All the best with your trip Hillary!
Hillary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Judy and Sam!

I know I am trying to see a lot of places, but who knows when I'll ever be able to make it back. I'm flying from my friend's place in Canberra to Uluru and then to Cairns, so that should cut down on travel time. From there I'll bus it down the east coast. From the timetables I've found, it seems I can do it all - I'm the whirlwind travel type. I like to come, see, hike, eat and move on - not the shopping for souveniers type. Thanks for all of your suggestions, they will go in my Oz trip notebook!
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Hillary - here's my suggestions.
Brisbane - The Satay Hut in Little Stanley Street or if you feel rich Montrachet.
Byron Bay - The Byron Bay Hotel on the waterfont and a 15 minutes drive from BB is a little town called Bangalow and an excellent restaurant called Utopia. You might be interested in reading about our recent trip to Queensland here.
http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/09/we_saved_the_be.html#
Hillary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahah, rich, hahahahha... did I mention I'm a veterinary student at the end of 8 long years of student loans (this trip is my graduation present to myself)?? I owe the government quite a lot of money. I won't feel rich for a very very long time, but that's ok.
emilyj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to C&Z Hillary,

You lucky thing, looks like your trip is going to be a good one! Having lived most of my life in Australia I am ashamed to say that I haven't been to half of the places on your list!

If you want some information about eating out in Sydney, I highly recommend taking a look at this blog if you haven't already: http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/ reviewing restaurants/cafes/bakeries/markets in the Sydney area.

Byron Bay is a beautiful town although if you are on a budget (which it looks like you are) cheap accomodation can be a bit thin on the ground. Luckily for me my aunt lives there so I always have a place to stay. It is the end of Autumn so it shouldn't be too crowded. It's good for Vegetarian food as quite a few of the residents are retired hippies (the aforementioned aunt included) Very Happy

Have a wonderful holiday, you deserve it after all that hard work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: