Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Blueberry and Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Blueberry and Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Reply with quote

I've played around with this recipe quite alot lately and its getting better and better thanks to the help of a few C&Zers. This coffee cake is best the first day, still good the second day, and may require some actual dunking into coffee by the third day.

Dough

3/4 c. water
1/4 c. butter
1/4-1/3 c. sugar (I tend to like my dough less sweet, but 1/3 c. isn't nec. too sweet)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 3/4 c. flour
1 envelope yeast

Cream Cheese Filling

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/2 c. sugar

Blueberry filling (alternatively you can use jam for the fruit filling)

1 1/2 c. blueberries
1/4 c water
1/4 c sugar

Topping

1 tbs. sugar
1/3 c. sliced almonds, toasted
1 egg, beaten

small amount of vegetable or canola oil

8"x10" (or larger) baking pan

If using the blueberry filling make this first. Combine 1 c. blueberries with water and sugar, simmer until blueberries burst. Add rest of blueberries and simmer until sauce coats back of spoon. Cool, drain off extra liquid, then chill until needed.

Next, combine water, butter, sugar, and salt in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Heat/cool mixture until very warm (120-130F). In large bowl, mix 1 c. flour and yeast. Add warm water mixture and blend well. Mix in egg. Add remaining flour by the 1/2 cupfulls until you have a soft dough. Beat or knead until smooth and elastic (5-10 min). Add more flour if nec. to keep from sticking.

Lightly coat large bowl with vegetable oil. Place dough in bowl and turn to coat. Cover bowl with a clean tea towel and place in warm, draft free area until dough has doubled in size (about an hour).

Beat together cream cheese, egg, and sugar until smooth and creamy. Set aside until ready for use.

When dough has doubled, punch down and use floured rolling pin on a floured surface to roll in a rectangle, roughly the size of your baking sheet. Place dough on greased baking sheet. With a sharp knife, score the dough into thirds, lengthwise. Then cut strips at 1" intervals along the outside thirds. Spread the blueberries (or alternatively the jam) over the center third of dough. Then carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the blueberries. Starting at one end, alternately cross the cut strips over the center and tuck in the bottom strips.

Brush top of cake with beaten egg. Sprinkle sugar and almonds over top. Cover coffee cake and let rise again to about double in size (about 30 min.)

Preheat oven to 350F (I use about 170 C). When cake has risen, bake for 30-40 min, until golden brown and cream cheese mixture has set. Allow to cool slightly before serving, wrap tightly in plastic wrap when storing.

side note

Due to time constraints (and with the advice of some members of this forum) I was able to make part of this recipe, chill overnight, and bake the next day. So you can take the recipe up to the assembled and braided cake, allow to rise some, coat cake and one side of plastic wrap in oil, place plastic wrap (oil side down) over cake and a tea towel over than, then chill overnight. In the morning, allow cake to warm to room temp, then brush on egg wash, sprinkle on sugar and almonds, then bake. I have found that the dough rises even more while baking using this method. See the coffee cake thread in the Cooking and Eating forum to read the discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: