Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Seattle birthday dinner
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kymee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to work for Red Lion. They have a hotel there on fifth ave about 4 blocks from Pike Street Market.

You should know, Seattle blocks in that area are small and easy to walk. I don't suggest this for the dinner celebration but if you get a chance for lunch, stop by the Elephant Castle pub under the Red Lion hotel. They have an Irish theme and the stew is amazing.

Also 3 blocks from Pike Street Market...there is an amazing glass shop. This artist, name escapes me at the moment, does the most incredible things with glass!!

And don't forget to hit the Fish market there at Pikes. If they are all being shy tell them you want to see the FISH philophosy (sp) in action and watch them spring to life! It's best to pop in there at about noon. they put on quite a show!

Here is a list of Restaurants and their numbers for you
http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true

Have a great time!!!!
kymee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, Pullman is a great place to attend. They have a great community there. My friends brother and my sons wife attend that university and it is a good one.

I live in Spokane WA a most beautiful city with a river running through it. Lots of stuff to do and very family oriented.

We have several colleges here. Spokane Falls Community College, Gonzaga University, Whitman College and not to far away, about a 15, 20 minute drive, in Cheney, Eastern Washington University EWU. More links for you...

http://www.ewu.edu/Home.xml

http://www.wsu.edu/

http://www.gonzaga.edu/

http://www.spokanefalls.edu/

I am sure you probably have these but just incase Wink
bluedog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodstocker, what field are you looking to study? Seattle Pacific has a few good grad programs as well. UW, as you must know is enormous and should have any program you can think of.

for food things in the U district, Cedars is one of my favorite indian/mid eastern restaurants, and there is a wine/tapas bar called Pair that is quite good. they have a great farmers market on Saturdays, if a bit sparse in winter. if you have been in exile like erin, the U Village shopping is great. most stores can be found in other places, but it is very pleasant and good cooking stores. 'the ave' is where ther are fun shops (from shoes to goth) and bars frequented by students, and thus good bands. (actually university way, not avenue).

sur la table flagship store is in the market, so you will have already done that. oh, and beechers cheese shop in the market is also a must. all their cheese is good, but i am addicted to herb marinated fresh cheese curds. also our new library downtown is great. and don't miss the international district. not as coloful as NY or SF, but lots of great, cheap eats. and that is where you will find uwajimaya, as erin mentioned. the seafood department alone will amaze you. until you have seen a live goeduck you haven't seen a clam!

also note that despite the name only UW is in the U district, so the others mentioned by myself and Erin are in other parts of town, or completely other cities nearby.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedog, a lot of people probably wouldn't consider Long Island exile, but I do, and so does Erin probably (not that I should speak for her). Granted, she's all the way on the other edge of the country from home, but I miss the Hudson Valley. (Trees and sunsets over the mountains!)

Erin, thank you soo much for the list of places/things.

Everybody, thanks for the schools, my dad has now taken to "what about UC Berkley? It doesn't snow there." Poor Dad, he just doesn't want me to move away. Sad The program I'm looking into is Public History, and is a combination of museum studies, archives, and history. Seems like it'd be a great entry into many different fields, so I don't get stuck in a corner.
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very deliquent post, but we did make it to Lola's for my mom's bday, and she even got a free dessert! From memory, we started with the homemade pitas and six dips as an app (homus, cauliflower-anchovy [my fave], tzatziki, roasted red pepper, kalamata-fig [my mom's fave], and something with feta). Then the lamb kebabs with a red wine glaze, moving to roasted free range chicken with dates, walnuts and applesauce and Oregon country beef hanger steak, pickled pepperoncinis, and feta. The steak was a bit on the peppery side for me, with all the strong flavors trying to compete in your mouth. Everything else though was delish, including the "free" slice of coconut cream pie my mom ordered (mmm). She wanted the cranberry sorbet so I ordered that for her. It was spiced with clove and orange, to cut the bitterness, I suppose. I ended up going back across the street a few days later to the Deliah Bakery for the mini version of the coconut cream pie for the plane. Thank you everyone for the tips.
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, look at what I have for my location.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: