Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What's Cookin'?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DQ---I'm very impressed with the whole concept of a sweet parsnip pie! Who thinks of these things? the world never fails to amaze.........
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: BARLEY WITH MUSHROOMS AND DILL Reply with quote

David: this pie is "to die for!!!" I'm a sucker for odd sounding recipes so I try as many of them as I can, and rarely, rarely ever get disappointed. I so hope that you try this recipe; as I said, I make it into 4" tarts which seems to be just the right 'mouthful' for noshing. And Lord knows the creative genius who creates these things!

I've been on an oddities quest for a couple of months and I made the following recipe on a whim and out of boredom. I figured that it might taste just "ok"....boy, was I fooled!!! After I made this at Sally's place, it took all of 4 hours for 100% of the dish to be consummed...by all 3 roommates and Sally and I. I've since made it on a weekly basis: it's astonishingly wonderful with pasta sauce over it or served with a meat dish. The recipe, from Marcia Adams, says that she eats it..."hot, right from the pot," but I found it tastier at room temperature or cold. The only thing that I changed, is instead of using generic 'button mushrooms', which I used initially and seemed too tame, is that I used portabello mushrooms since, and it definitely improved the depth of flavour.

BARLEY WITH MUSHROOMS AND DILL

4 teaspoons of Olive Oil

1 Medium Onion, chopped

1 Medium Carrot, shredded

1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped

3 Garlic Cloves, minced

1/2 Pound of Portabello mushrooms or mushroom mixture, sliced

1 Cup of Pearl Barley, (I used Instant, as that's all I had)

1 3/4 Cups of Beef Stock

2 Tablespoons of Minced Parsley

3 Tablespoons of Fresh Dill, minced

Juice from one Lemon

Salt and Pepper to taste

In a 10" skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper and garlic, and saute for 3 minutes.

Add the mushrooms and saute and toss for an additional 3 minutes.

Add the barley and continue cooking until it is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 cup of the beef stock, cover, and simmer over meduim-low heat for 15 minutes.

Add the remaining stock and continue simmering until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes, stirring now and then.

Stir in the parsley, dill and lemon juice and check seasonings.

Serve hot, room temperature or cold.

Makes 6 servings.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BARLEY WITH MUSHROOMS AND DILL Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:
The recipe, from Marcia Adams, says that she eats it..."hot, right from the pot," but I found it tastier at room temperature or cold.

Interesting this hot versus cold versus room-temperature taste. My preference is hot when it is liquid/soupy/thin; room-temperature when creamy; and cool or cold when thick.

I'm thinking of my oat/corn-meal/fruit cereal mixture. When it is soupy, I enjoy it best piping hot; when creamy it tastes best warm, and when it's think, I like it cool.

I think this only applies to foods in baking dishes and pots like caserols, soups, et cetera; I wouldn't apply it to meats and fish or vegetables.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape: I was actually thinking of you when I made this recipe for the first time, with your love of porridge! I'm currently whipping up a batch of this stuff, as we type. I expected to tolerate it, but I never expected to LOVE it!

Sally, my partner, made a Carrot/Corriander soup...which was a complete failure as a soup but turned out smashing as the sauce we used on top of the barley mixture! I don't have the recipe, yet, but for my taste buds, it was the BEST pasta sauce that I've ever eaten! It wasn't so over-the-top tomato-y that I feel all red sauces are...and you didn't need a speck of meat in it to taste good.

Isn't this how so many recipes begin, as mistakes in one area and successes in others?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: