Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Preserved Lemons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kabbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Preserved Lemons Reply with quote

Hi, I have looked through the search engine for a recipe for preserved lemons. Some recipes say just to use the lemon juice, others some warm water and others olive oil to cover. I am also wondering what type of salt works well. I have some lovely meyer lemons at the ready. So I am hoping someone out there can help. Festive greetings to all, just found a wonderful oregano pesto recipe to have with roasted tomatoes-will post it in recipe forum.
ducksauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fantastic recipe we use at the resturant i work on involes some degree of cooking in water, and then slicing and preserving in a simple syrup i can get a better recipe for u tomarrow i can not recall it atm since the same guy ususlly makes the lemons.
Nicki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've preserved lemons in the past, I press plenty of sea salt into the flesh, then pack the lemon into a jar and add another 3tbsp salt, 6tbsp lemon juice, then fill up with boiling water. But less water and more lemon if your jars are big

Hope all goes well!
birgit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I found lots of limequats in our supermarket I tried the preserved limequats recipe from the zuni cafe cookbook which has the same co-ingredients as their preserved lemons recipe. The ingredients are similar to those in the Epicurious recipe, with the exception of the recommendation of pre-cooked brine and some olive oil to seal the surface. Mhm. Smells great meanwhile, but I still have to wait a bit, although limequats get preserved faster than lemons.

Another thing I'm thinking about and which I'd very much love to know is if it's possible to take the finished fruit out of the big glass container and put them in several little glass containers where they should keep a little while (Christmas is near Very Happy ... ) -- would it be necessary to re-boil the brine or just cover them with a bit of the cold brine? -- You see, I've never bought preserved lemons in a mediterranian shop before ...

Kabbles, do you already know what to do with them when they are finished? And do you prefer the pure version or the other one with addes spices?
Jay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Nicki said just stuff them with coarse sea salt. Cut each lemon into quaters lengthways stopping half an inch from the bottom to keep the quaters attached, stuff each lemon with the salt and then close and stuff as many as you can into your clean jar and tamp down firmly.
Now there is no need to add any water to the jar as the lemons will produce their own juice daily and will have given their all within a week (you can gently shake the jar daily to encourage this) If after a week they aren't covered in their own juice you can top up with water and they will be ready to use in 3 weeks.
Kabbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou everyone for your tips, recipes and interest. I am going to give Jay's a go...so I will let you know.
Birgit I am intrigued by your limequats...are they similar to cumquats??
MERRY CHRISTMAS
birgit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, their pulp is about equally thin -- this is why preserving them takes only about 1 week Smile They look like miniature limes (about half the size of the real limes) and you can eat them whole. Green at the beginning they turn yellow with time and their size is a bit bigger than kumquats.
Kabbles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has taken me so long to get to the lemons!!! I followed Jay's advice, my meyer lemons made heaps of juice as i did it so would not have been able to add any more liquid to jar anyway. Now i have to wait... Thanks everyone.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm going to have to make some (to keep company with the pretty ones Donna gave me). We woke up this morning to find our whole dwarf tree encased in ice! At least the lemons on it had a chance to ripen first. ::whew!::
eileen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: what to do with preserved lemons Reply with quote

preserved lemons are widely available at the markets near me, but i've never been sure what to do with them. any suggestions (vegetarian friendly)? and how long do they last?
cheers,
Nicki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put them in a North African tagine, or a Middle Eastern style dish
They're great with chicken, or lamb, but you don;t really want to know that unless you like the meat-substitutes. I've done this before, turns out ok.
Maybe you could stick some in with a fish tagine if you eat fish? I'm not entirely sure, as I'v never done this and the lemons may overpower any delicate flavoured fish.
Cous cous? Chick peas (yuck)?
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey--were you able to rescue the lemons for any use? And how did the tree hold up? That was quite the cold snap you had! I guess I won't be buying any avacados for awhile!
msue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made preserved Meyer lemons using a recipe from Epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102747).

It was quite easy to make. I also used the Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Lemons on that same site. Both were hits in our house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: