Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Egg-citement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Egg-citement Reply with quote

I hate to brag, but I just found out my eggs will no longer come from the grocery store shelf, as we are now totally hooked up with a friend's organic, backyard roaming chicken eggs!! Whoooey! They look divine, and the taste is sure to be much different than that of the store varieties. Having never before tasted a proper egg fresh from the straw nest, I could use a little creative advice: Anyone have any way for me to celebrate the backyard egg? I am lacking in truffles, but I am up for any other ideas!
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how Bernard Loiseau cooked eggs.
http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/10/best_ever_egg.html#
MarieStrawberry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: eggy Reply with quote

with eggs like that you should do hardly anything! My cousins have the same thing - and they live around the corner from my family... needless to say we cant go back to supermarket variety ..
The best ways - i would say - are the simplest: soft boiled with toast soldiers or poached ( so no extra flavours are added).. then you can go on to frying, scrambling, simple omlettes, steamed eggs and egg custards and cocottes.. there are sooo many options
carina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with those fresher-then-fresh eggs I would definately poach some... maybe even egg benedict?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How eggciting! I would suggest Ina Garten's Herb Baked Eggs.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or soft boiled--with a teaspoon of caviar!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carina- Oh, totally poach a really fresh egg. When else will you get the poached egg of your dreams. Definitely a touch of hollandaise and I can't see what a bit of caviar (if you have some handy, knifethrower, as I'm sure we all do...) shining on top would hurt. Twisted Evil

Very fresh eggs will be tough to shell if you boil them. The membranes still have a very strong attachment to the shell.

Enjoy! I still remember the freshest eggs with the most brilliantly yellow yolks I had at the Fairmont at Lake Louise and that was years ago. Simple things that are simply fresh can be transcendent.
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen, I am green with envy!! Actually, speaking of all things green, two ideas to keep in mind for when asparagus is in season:

1. Blanched asparagus with the yolks, whole and uncooked, balanced on the tips, with pepper ground over them and a little melted butter and parmesan drizzled over the asparagus (the actual recipe is in the first River Cafe cookbook)
and
2. Soft-boil the eggs, cut off the tops, dip in steamed (or briefly boiled) asparagus... bliss!
carina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you guys, I just ate my breakfast and you get me all hungry again! Note to self: get more eggs for saturday breakfast! (and lunch... and snacks...)

One of the fist things I get when visiting my aunt is freshly poached eggs for breakfast, since she has a sort of city-farm in her backyard with chickens and ducks and goats and wots and wots of wabbits...
Duck's eggs are also very nice, a little lager than chicken eggs. The only backdraw is you have to cook them through and through because the shell is porous, or so I've been told. But hey're very tasty.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on a mission, now! I am off to scour the used good stores for an egg poacher! I doubt Loiseau would approve, but I am definitely interested in trying some of his techniques, like not letting th eggs touch the pan itself. I wonder if a cushion of distilled water (its all we drink) in the egg cups would do the job?

I plan to get to the wine store to see if they have any caviar- its the holiday season, it should be a given (but then again, this IS Montana). I think I deserve a mouthful of black pearls, no matter the origin or political problems associated. I had a shift from hell last night, and I deserve a treat!

Custard is absolutely in order, with a fine vanilla, maybe a vanilla bean paste, although I fear it may be too potent for the egg- I may lose the tenderness and miss the point. Still, a light vanilla sugar would probably do the trick....as I mop up drool from my keyboard.

I will save the herb baked recipe and the sexy asparagus idea for the springtime back in Portland, when I can get the first shoots and leaves (isn't there a panda joke somewhere in there?) of both treats and throw a decent brunch with real coffee. I know I can get the eggs fresh outta the chicken's fanny at the farmer's market without difficulty.

Now, about those duck eggs... Man alive!
Daily, Brian comes home for lunch and is mobbed by a herd of tame, locally paddling waterfowl from the rivulet down the end of the cul-de-sac. We toss out corn for winter feeding, and he must wade through these quack addicts (our name for the cracked corn kernels) to and from the car every day. I was just trying new ways to leave a trail of quack for them to follow into the kitchen, or just to be satisfied with hoping for one "coincidental" accident on call one night resulting in Canard du Driveway with a side of potatoes fried in duck fat, but a duck egg omelet- I think you may have just broken the culinary world wide open on Lewis Street!

Thanks for the suggestions- I will let you all know how it goes at breakfast tomorrow!
David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many things cuter in the world than a duck's waddle and bemused expression--but damn they taste good Very Happy
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooooah, duuuuude!

That sums it up.

Kidding....

Its a caviar=free zone here in Montana, but not to be outdone, I snatched up a ten dollar brie and a round of chevre, determined to make it a smashing breakfast. And smashing it was.

I snuggled the eggs in ramekins, gently steamed them, accompanied then with the cheeses, fig preserves, apple smoked bacon slabs and a small side of crepes just for fun- it was delightful.

No funny, stale odors from the eggs, just velvety, creamy luscious texture that only needed a kiss of sea salt and a twist of peppercorn blends. I used to toss in a bit of butter when I was a child, but butter would have been a travesty of justice. Man alive, with those soft, comforting and totally delicious eggs, it was nothing short of a religious experience. My hat is off to our buddy that sells them to us every week. I am a convert!

Thank you all for the great help- I just wish you all were here to join us this morning!
scorched peanut bar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying for years to make those beautiful poached eggs that look like a little lump of fresh mozzarella. I've tried stirring the water into a whirpool and dropping the egg it, using vinegar.....all I have ever ended up with is a watery egg-y mess. I now reserve poached eggs for when I go out for breakfast.

Any egg poaching experts out there?
Please help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: