Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Exposé of Noka — the most expensive chocolates in the world
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for being candid, Danno.

It will be interesting to see if they can survive the facts in evidence.
Danno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: NOKA Statment Reply with quote

Disclosure: I am assisting NOKA Chocolate as a PR consultant.

You can see the entire statement from NOKA Chocolate posted at http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=142
cybele

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who might want to discuss that statement from NOKA here instead of registering on DallasFood.org's site, here it is:

Quote:
Statement from Noah Houghton, president of NōKA Chocolate

NōKA Chocolate appreciates having this opportunity to clarify the facts around several of the main points raised by the Dallas Food series. We are passionate advocates for gourmet chocolate who devote a great deal of time and resources to educating the public not only about the fine points of chocolate quality and purity but also about the optimal tasting experience. As such, we are grateful for any attention that is devoted to fine chocolate. We do have concerns, however, about a number of core accusations in the anonymous report:

NōKA Chocolate has never intended to suggest that the Company makes chocolate from “bean to bar” (roasting, grinding and otherwise processing cacao into couverture). In fact, we’ve sought to make this clear in numerous public statements. In an effort to further clarify this wherever possible we are reviewing all of our communications to ensure there is no room for misinterpretation.

NōKA Chocolate is proud of the fact that owner Katrina Merrem is a “chocolatier” (person or company who crafts couverture and other ingredients into chocolates, truffles and other confections). We have never intentionally suggested that she is a “chocolate maker” (engaged in roasting, grinding and otherwise processing cacao into couverture). All of our communications, including our Web site and a small booklet included with every gift we sell, identify Katrina as our chocolatier.

NōKA Chocolate stands by the statement that this is “our chocolate.” NōKA’s couverture is made to our strict specifications. We specify the source ingredients, the region from which the ingredients are sourced and the process by which the couverture is made. The quality and purity of our chocolates and truffles are above reproach, which is why NōKA Chocolate was the top ranked luxury chocolate in the world by the respected food editors of TASTE.

NōKA Chocolate considers information regarding our couverture to be proprietary. We respect supplier confidentiality and as such will not comment on speculation about any of our vendor partners. The non-disclosure of proprietary information is commonplace in the chocolate industry and the food industry in general. NōKA Chocolate’s couverture is made to our strict specifications. The Company is dedicated to creating the NōKA Chocolate experience with pure single-estate, dark chocolates and truffles.

A gift of NōKA Chocolate is a gift of the NōKA Chocolate Experience. The NōKA Chocolate experience ensures that magical moments and memories can be enjoyed by both the person who gives the gift of NōKA Chocolate and by the person who receives the gift. Each NōKA Chocolate gift is an experience that begins with the unique and elegantly designed packaging and encourages an appreciation by all the senses including the look, aroma, flavor and texture of our chocolates and truffles. The Optimal Tasting Guide and vividly descriptive Flavor Profiles included with each gift provide each gift recipient with the tools to enjoy his or her own chocolate tasting whether it be alone or a special event.

NōKA Chocolate is proud of our unique place in the market -- providing people with another choice when selecting a special gift for themselves or for someone else. A pound-for-pound comparison that fails to consider the totality of the NōKA Chocolate experience will never accurately reflect the true value of our products. Each element contributes to the others.

It would be just as unthinkable to calculate the per-pound cost of a sterling silver bar and compare it to the per-pound cost of a piece of Tiffany sterling silver jewelry, while disregarding Tiffany’s standards for quality, the creativity of transforming the sterling silver bar into a beautiful piece of jewelry and the intrinsic value of the Tiffany Blue box in which the jewelry would be presented. We respect companies like Tiffany for their high standards, commitment to quality and dedication to customer service and their ability to create the Tiffany experience that their customers choose to enjoy. Our packaging, presentation and exceptional customer service are intrinsic elements that contribute to the NōKA Chocolate experience.

As passionate advocates for gourmet chocolate devoted to educating the public about the fine points of chocolate quality and purity, we take it very seriously when our Company and its products are scrutinized. In an effort to further clarify our role as a chocolatier, we have taken swift action and are reviewing all of our communications to ensure there is no room for misinterpretation. We also understand that there can be differences of opinion about the value of any product and we appreciate you taking the time to seek our point-of-view.

If whomever wrote the press release is reading here, I take issue with this statement, "The quality and purity of our chocolates and truffles are above reproach..."

It is not above reproach, it cannot be, it will never be. Look up the word. Many criticisms about chocolate and food in general are subjective. Add to that, Scott at DallasFood.org made a good point about the bloom (with a photo) in part 4 of his series. All mattters of taste aside, spoilage or improper molding is something that all consumers should be interested in, at any price. Going around saying that any product like chocolate or any human being is above reproach is simply silly and makes the entire press release silly.

As a side topic, has anyone seen the movie Thank You For Smoking?
Samuel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wasn't then, but am now... Reply with quote

cybele wrote:
Can someone point me to the NOKA statement, I can't find it on their site.

Because, as of this moment, it hasn't been posted on NOKA's web site. The reason is simple enough. Posting the statement on their own web site would alert any visitors to the Dallas Food reports, when there's a chance they may not be aware of them.

NOKA's statement can be found in this link at this link at the Dallas Food website.

You can also find Danno's curiously vague explanation of the timing of his relationship with NOKA in this thread at his PR firm's web site. (Note the time of his last post on this site prior to the time of his press release at 11 AM on Saturday, December 30, 2006. It is between those hours that Danno claims he was hired by NOKA.)

Sam
emilyj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the press release cybele, it is interesting that they compare NOKA to Tiffany

<quote>"It would be just as unthinkable to calculate the per-pound cost of a sterling silver bar and compare it to the per-pound cost of a piece of Tiffany sterling silver jewelry, while disregarding Tiffany’s standards for quality, the creativity of transforming the sterling silver bar into a beautiful piece of jewelry and the intrinsic value of the Tiffany Blue box in which the jewelry would be presented"</quote>

This is like comparing an apple to an antelope. Tiffany molds the silver into a piece of jewellery and the value is in that design as well as in the blue box. I admit that I have never seen Noka chocolate (they don't export to Australia as far as I know) but as far as I am aware, Noka do not do anything with the chocolate apart from melt it into plain molds with their name on them. I would suggest that this is completely different.

Almost all chocolatiers use other people's couveture however they generally mould it into something that is very different from the original- or charge similar prices to the original. They also, as Dallasfood pointed out, tend to disclose this information when asked. The reason that they disclose it is that their product is far enough away from the original to make this information not proprietary.
monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that the comparison to tiffany is bit far fetched. since an inquiring primate like myself wants to know these kind of things, i did a little apples to antelope comparison myself. for just $5 (us$) more than the cost of a 2 pieces of noka chocolate truffles in stainless box ($45), you can buy a pair of tiffany classic champagne flutes, a pair of cut class flutes or a lovely 16" elsa peretti designed sterling chain. (the list is too long to mention here.)

tiffany and company weathered a bit of controversy when they were a fledgling company as well. they were the first business to set a non-negotiable price on the goods in their newly opened stationary and fancy goods emporium. of course, that was in 1837. since then they have earned their reputation as an icon through their impeccable stadnards, quality and customer service over more than a century and a half of business.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: