Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Anyone want to scavenge at my house?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Anyone want to scavenge at my house? Reply with quote

At last! The time has come! The demolition phase of my new kitchen will probably begin in the next 2 weeks.

I just started going through my cupboards. The pantry will follow. No doubt there will be a lot of stuff that we can just regard and shake our heads at together. But, perhaps, there will be things someone will want. There will be canned goods. Kitchen notions to be sure. Duplicate baking pans. Who knows what else?!

I'm in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. If you're interested in seeing what kind of stuff an abject fool can collect, PM me and I'll arrange a time when it's all together. It will, of course, be free. It will, no doubt, be a great embarrassment. It could provide a laugh.

Onward into the chaos!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, you are simply gorgeous Wink
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be surprised when I turn up! I'll hold your hand if you have to make the tough decisions! I am the Queen of Letting Go! Laughing
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen Donna...may I visit your court awhile...to observe the process Wink
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I'm so jealous! For the first time, I'm sorry to have left California! Rainey, I'd love to help go through your treasures.
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, kitchen goodies........

Just remember the old saying that "One man's trash is another man's treasure". I bet you have some great laughs out of the things you find in the back of cupboards.

Take photos of the best and worst finds and put them on either this topic or your blog please Rainey. That way we can all share.

Donna, wish I had your gift... I tend to accumulate. My excuse is that I use everything - but then I find myself finding ways to use things, or time to use them so the excuse can still be used... Wink Laughing sigh. Must say that living in Paris has helped me to refine my kitchen, but temptation is always just around the corner.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the new kitchen!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie- Alas! I suck at photography and we haven't been able to find the digital camera since we went to Berkeley for that Stanford game. Shocked

So far I have an insane number of plastic holiday themed cookie cutters (I've keeping all the good metal ones and terra cotta stamps and molds) and silly shape ice cube trays. There are also a lot of Jello jiggler molds (this is something you mold a treat halfway between gelatin and gummy candies in).

Apparently, when the kids were little (which was well before we moved into this house....) I was a sucker for anything shaped like something it wasn't. OTOH, I can remember some awesome times making Valentine cookies, and Halloween cookies, and Christmas...etc, etc, etc.

I haven't hit the cupboard with all the edible glitters & pigments, sanding sugars & jimmies yet. Not sure what I'll do about them. Hmmmm.....

I see there are no takers yet though.

Donna- I'll be thrilled if you come down but I fear you'd leave trembling from the shock of what's been lurking around here for the 3 decades we've lived in CA. I know I'm beginning to. Shocked
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could pop by! I don't really need anything, but I do like to snoop around other people's stuff.
georgia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, could I send some of my stuff to your house for other people to sift through? Laughing
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clotilde, you're more than welcome! Georgia is NOT! ...unless she brings a deep bag and plans to take more than she arrives with. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be really useful. I have no problem in getting rid of stuff. As long as Bryan doesn't join us as he tends to retrieve it from the box and return it. How many pale yellow dress shirts does a man need when he no longer wheres a suit?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could visit, not that I need any more stuff, I have enough junk of my own. But it's always an interesting insight, seeing what other people hoard.

My very favourite hoarding story is about a friend's parents who were 'downsizing' from one 4 bedroom house to another 4-bedroom house. I think the downsizing bit was that all 5 kids had finally left home and the parents wanted to get rid of all the kids' junk that had been left behind.

Anyway .... you know the jeans offcuts from when they used to make jeans much longer and you had to cut off about 6 inches and re-hem all your jeans? My friend's mum had bags of them! And she was very reluctant to throw them out, 'cos she 'might need them one day'!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy- I've got that disease. ...and the bag of distressed denim just waiting for enough to make a denim quilt. Embarassed

I don't guess anyone wants to send their denim scraps from the South Pacific to the South of California, but if you know anyone there who's still collecting, they make awesome looking picnic and beach quilts. And have a wonderful funky look besides.
georgia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I can take a hint.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait until the kitchen's purged and done and I'll be able to bake you up something yummy for the occasion. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: