Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

C & Z-----The BOOK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilyj

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Judy, how did you get yours so fast? Guess you must have shelled out for the express post Very Happy I wish I had now, I'm going to be waiting 11-22 working days for mine!
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(My poor clueless Rich, told that we'll be having "Chocolate & Zucchini" a lot in the next few weeks, thinks that we'll be having a lot of chocolate and zucchini..)

And this is a problem?! Laughing

He does know that he'll be eating only chocolate and zucchini and nothing else, doesn't he?! Wink

Oh yes Madame, C&Z the Film! The sequel would be Clotilde Returns!
Kabbles

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: which edition? Reply with quote

Dear Judy, I am soooo jealous that you have your book. Unfortuanately I have been sidetracked by a sick son-who is now out of hospital and I find the time has sped by and the BOOK is here!! Which edition did you go for?It seems so much has happened on the site while I have been away, glad to see everyone is still blogging away.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the US edition.

It's lovely to see some C&Z friends' names in print in the acknowledgement section for helping test recipes ... Erin, Rainey, Donna, Melinda, Ann (brighidsdaughter). Who else? Come, on, don't be shy - you have all helped Clotilde create a beautiful, lasting reference and a piece of C&Z we can all hold in our hands. Have I mentioned that I love books?!

Thank you to all the recipe testers.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was fun to see the familiar names, (and maybe some "hidden in plain sight"?)

I'll be interested to hear first impressions about both the book and the recipes--I'm off to shop for whole milk ricotta this morning, for the cake on page 171!
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say how very, VERY envious I am of all of you who've got the book already? As it won't hit the shops in the UK til next week (grrrrrrr) I've got to stew until then, and all your comments are just making the wait even harder... Wink Still, maybe not such a bad thing that I have to wait a few more days. It's going to be my boyfriend's present to me for submitting my thesis (which happens in... one hour!) and frankly, I'm not going to have the energy to do much cooking for the next couple of days anyway!
David

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffer Rachel Very Happy And congrats on finishing your thesis!!
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David! In the absence of the book I'll have to celebrate with... a lot of wine and Rufus Wainwright's new album (that should take some of the pain out of the wait Wink )
msue

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Madeleines au Roquefort, Poire & Noix (pg 81, US version Reply with quote

Yum!

I've been on a blue cheese kick lately, so I chose the Walnut, Pear and Roquefort Madeleines as my first recipe since the book came out. Oh yum. Really really yum.

I've shared it with neighbors, who gave it a big thumbs up. My husband and I ate several muffins (I used a mini-muffin pan rather than madeleine molds) with our salad last night, and the savory flavors were a perfect accompaniment.

Now - the funny and embarrassing part: I've made them twice since yesterday because on the first go around (the one I first shared & had with dinner) I LEFT OUT THE BUTTERMILK!! D'oh. It dawned on me much later last night. I can't believe I was such a dope. So as soon as I got home today, I made them again, this time with all Clotilde's intended ingredients ( Embarassed ).

The neighbors and I sampled the correctly prepared version and it is even better, of course. The crumb is really nice and fluffy, and all the flavors blend nicely (plus, they each are distict enough to make an individual statement.) I don't know why the buttermilk-less version worked so well, but they really were good. The correctly prepared version was obviously more moist, plus they puffed up a bit more.

Now I can't wait to make something else from the book! Maybe I'll remember all the ingredients this time Smile
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Dear all,
As you can easily imagine, reading this thread puts a large smile on my face. Thank you for your enthusiasm, your support, and your kind words. The thought of my book in all of these unknown kitchens is making my head spin, and I am pleased to think that it is in such good hands!
Clotilde.
Judy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clotilde, how wonderful to see you here!

Your book is wonderful, and my copy is destined to become one of the most-read and used cookbook on my shelves. We all have at least one which opens to the most-used recipes, and has bits of goop on the pages from where the mixing spoon dripped when we were checking what to do next. My C&Z Book will end up one of those books, I'm sure.

I hope you're having a fantastic time on your book tour.

Last edited by Judy on Sat May 19, 2007 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
RipenessIsAll

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le nouveau livr-ais est arrivé! The US edition was waiting in my mailbox today! Yippee! I've never pre-ordered from amazon.com before so this was a terrific surprise. And just in time for a shopping spree at the local farmer's market tomorrow morning.

It is beautiful and colorful and the photos are tremendous - Clotilde, you have a real photographic talent, as well. The recipes sound delicious. I love how the recipes display a variety of tastes and textures, simple to complex - it's like good jazz. Sometimes it's straightforward, other times it's richly layered and deceptively clashes.

And contrary to my silly worry, it folds flat well on the counter!

Brava, Clotilde, and thank you! Enjoy the rest of your tour!

Amy
Judy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone with the US edition living outside the US, you may be wondering about cup and spoon sizes. A google search gave me a lot of websites about ladies bra sizes, but I did finally discover this gem, which looks like just what we need to do our conversions for us. It's on The Metric Kitchen website ...

http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml

I'll post this in the Resources section as well, for future reference. If anyone has any other favourite conversion sites, please share them with us, either here or in the Resources section.

I should have looked closer to home first - Clotilde has a conversion chart on C&Z. From the date she posted it, October 23, 2003, that must have been an early entry in the blog.

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2003/10/conversions_equivalents.php

gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gateaux Ricotta report! This cake reminds me of the Gateau au Yaourt on this site, a cake made many times by many C&Z readers, I suspect. But this one (page 171 US edition) uses ricotta cheese, and is flavored with orange zest (not a lot) and vanilla. The texture is smooth and dense (like pound cake, but with more oomph from the cheese.)
Clotilde used apricots/pistachios for her topping, but suggested alternatives--I used the apple/hazelnut variation. (No fresh apricots in stores yet.) (If you place lots of apple slices 'round and 'round in a pattern, this cake looks extreeemely French Wink )
My SO, who whines almost constantly for chocolate, liked it just fine!
Very nice cake, and perfect with tea, as Clotilde notes.
msue

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Blueberry Amandine Tart Reply with quote

The wonderful Blueberry Amandine Tart (pg. 188, U.S. edition) should be marked with a big sticky flag for quick reference. It is really a fantastic way to highlight blueberries - not too sweet but absolutely luscious. The directions are clear and easy to follow, plus the ingredient amounts worked out perfectly. Take care to choose blueberries at their peak if you use fresh berries, you will be glad you did.

The tart would be a very popular dessert to serve to guests or to take to a party for a special treat.

And now my book has its first official smudge - almond cream. There will be more smudges to come, I'm sure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: