Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Do-it-yourself Stove: The CatStove

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Do-it-yourself Stove: The CatStove Reply with quote

http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html

Here's a link to the construction article. Also, I've included a URL link at the end of this article and some text attached below from a letter in a follow-up edition of ASME magazine. The original article was referred to in the August issue of ASME magazine.

I haven't built this CatStove, and when I do build one, I'm going to make mine much larger so that I can cook with a larger pot. I think you should consider his construction article more of a way to generate ideas and not necessarily a step-by-step procedure. Besides being too small, I'd like to invent a better way to control the flame setting.

This stove is intended for camping, but I'm thinking a larger one might be a nice conversation starter for the summer, backyard cookouts.

Here's the attached letter from the current issue of ASME magazine.

Brian used a CatStove on his trek. (Yes, so named because it is made from two cat food cans.) I designed this stove in 1998 for use by long distance hikers, who can be a bit phobic about their pack weight.

No cats were fed in the making of this stove: Using only a church key opener as a tool, an ME editor fashioned a light, functional alcohol burner from Robinson's instructions.

The CatStove is a regenerative heater, and operates on the same principle as the furnace in your home. It was my attempt to improve on the familiar Sterno can stove, which was everything a good stove should not be. The oxygen needed for combustion is trying to get into the burner the same way the flame is trying to get out. The result is a stove that will boil a pint of water in about 15 minutes under good conditions.

By adding an air jacket and making some other improvements, I was able to control the flow of air into the burning chamber. The incoming air also captured any heat lost through the sides of the burner (regenerative heater). It will boil a pint of water in four to five minutes, using just two tablespoons of alcohol fuel. No moving parts, nothing to clog or get lost. Instructions for making one are at

[url][/url]http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the CatStove in operation. Not sure this link is going to work, however. I've not tried posting images yet. I see it may not be working. If you want to see the picture, guess you'll have to click on the link.

[img]http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/jan05/departments/letters/letters.html
[/img]
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it would go nicely with a soft stove: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/02/11/soft_oven.html Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: catstove Reply with quote

Roy 'Traildad' Robinson must be some guy!...yep the photo came through clear as a bell...must show my husband...the camping soul...he can take it to the wilds of Tasmania...oh ok...I'll go wild with him again.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: