Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Rainey's Kitchen Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Georgia, my favorite thing is when you hear the knocking from the INSIDE of the refrigerator and you open it up and there's something green and fuzzy and it's ALIVE! And it wants OUT!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

However - you know that's how penicillin was invented! So there's always an upside to every spoiled leftover! Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from one of my favourite all time scenes...comedyland...The Odd Couple

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oscar Madison: I'm in for a quarter.
Murray: Aren't you going to look at your cards first?
Oscar Madison: What for? I'm gonna bluff anyway. Who gets a Pepsi?
Murray: I get a Pepsi.
Oscar Madison: My friend Murray the policeman gets a warm Pepsi.
Roy: You still didn't fix the refrigerator. It's been two weeks now - no wonder it stinks in here.
Oscar Madison: Temper, temper. If I wanted nagging, I'd go back with my wife. I'm out. Who wants food?
Murray: What do you got?
Oscar Madison: I got, uh, brown sandwiches and, uh, green sandwiches. Which one do you want?
Murray: What's the green?
Oscar Madison: It's either very new cheese or very old meat.
Murray: I'll take the brown.
[Oscar hands Murray a sandwich which Murray starts wolfing down]
Roy: Are you crazy? You're not going to eat that, are you?
Murray: I'm hungry!
Roy: His refrigerator has been out of order for two weeks now. I saw milk standing in there that wasn't even in the bottle!
Oscar Madison: What are you, some kind of health nut? Eat, Murray, eat!

Very Happy ...I've wept tears of laughter sooooooooooooo many times over that scene...very new cheese or very old meat....can it get better than that!
birgit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I've recently seen something especially for lids. It's approximately like this, only a bit smaller -- although more space saving options are of course tempting as well Wink

And, in case there is more space availabe, these are simply great (at least for pot lids which you can put in diagonally: the knobs on the lids prevents them from falling through). And there are several hidden options within this trivet, you can e.g. let a few of them it hang down horizontally from the ceiling (fixed with 4 plastic threads or the like, capable of bearing heavy weights) or fix it vertically at a wall, etc., etc.
georgia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, I remember that scene well and appreciate it as you do. Mostly, I'm impressed that you can repeat it verbatim!

So, everyone's invited to my house for new cheese or old meat or -- for the lucky ones -- a shot of penicillin. We can talk about Rainey's kitchen project.

Thanks, ladies, for an early morning smile.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh georgia...have to fess up..

imdb.com....odd couple quotes...cut/paste Wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

as we talk kitchen talk
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, what's the very first thing you're dying cook when your newfangled kitchen's completely fangled??? Will it be something très compliqué or delightfully simple? I can't wait to find out how it all goes! Thx for sharing.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I owe my family Thanksgiving dinner. And we've all been looking forward to it. So that will be first.

Then I'm going to bake myself into a stupor. I've really missed baking and my daughter has already spent better than half her first year away at college without getting a care package yet.

After that we'll see what I still remember how to do. It's been a long time since I've done much more than soups and warming casseroles.

Meanwhile, I like the idea of getting fully fangled! ...I think.
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when is the due date Rainey?
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man! That is the $64,000 question!

First, back in Dec. we were going to get started "as soon as it's the new year". Two weeks ago, when we were waiting for an examination of the existing plumbing to get the estimate "I'll call you Friday or definitely by Monday" became, first, Friday the following week, then, Saturday. Now I'm waiting on receipt of the estimate which was due "in a couple days" on Monday. But the cabinet guy is supposed to be getting to work on the drawings.

So, kiddo, your guess is as good as mine.... Knowing some of the key decisions — like who will do the construction and the cabinets — are made is a real indication of progress. Steve and I did our own share waffling and dragging our feet for many, many months until we got to this point. So my mantra is already "it will take as long as it takes and when it's done it will be cool" and being patient and journaling what happens is gonna hafta get me through.

And speaking of that, you made me think, David, of going out quickly before anything changes and taking pix of what I hate most about how it is now and what I like best. I'm going to go add those to my little journal.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Rainey, T-giving dinner is so perfect! All those folks fluttering about, chattering noisily while you cook away in your new favorite place with your pretty barefeet...

=)
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and of course, suitably, giving thanks for your brand new kitchen!

Of course, with $64,000 it would be even better, but it will be as it will be and it will be cool... of course.

Good luck Rainey... hmmm, so that's what's meant by saving for a Rainey Day!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah Griffin Wit?....how about a tv show?
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go! The contractor starts the demolition tomorrow!

Suddenly everything has to be done now. Wed is my last meeting with the cabinet guy to finalize his designs. So, of course, I woke up in the middle of the night and changed the finish color and added some punched tin doors. I've also abandoned the whole preserve the 50s thing for a country style that's much more funky old me.

And also I need immediate help to come up with an alternative to the gadget drawer. There must be a better way to store that stuff. What do you guys do? I've presently got 3 drawers of stuff to fish through plus the conter top jugs that have spoons/spatulas/ladels/etc.

The contractor found me soapstone. Who knew that was going to be such a big deal but it's not popular here in SoCal so it's scarce and what's available is the most expensive option rather than the low cost option it seems to be everywhere else. But my contractor found it and it's BEAUTIFUL! Better than I hoped. It's lovely to touch and gorgeous to behold. It's rich and deep and doesn't have the Las Vegas flash of other stones. Now he's seducing me into using it on both sides of the kitchen (I DO NOT get why no one wants to do corian anymore....).

I am discovering before the first nail comes out or goes in how things get pushed past budget ceilings as though they don't even exist. And the thing that has me salivating (I'm not kidding this ain't pretty and it don't have no dignity) is constructing a soapstone sink. God! I'm a whore with no backbone at all. But every time I go into my kitchen and have to wash a pot I could be looking at a deep black soapstone sink that matches the counters and has seams so smooth that there won't be any place for grunge to collect.

I'm also abandoning the Kitchen Aid range with the steam feature. I want the steam feature but the very few people who have used it AND Consumer Reports say that the cooktop doesn't do well at low temperatures. It seems stupid to compromise all the rest of my cooking for one feature. So I'm going to get a Wolf. It's more expensive but not all that much more when I factor in using a superior piece of equipment every day for god knows how long.

Meanwhile, my contractor is a sweetie. (Should I be recording myself saying that now so I can rerun it later when I might not be so convinced?) But I like him and he knows Steve and probably won't let that relationship get compromised.

I'm trying to set up a blog again so I can record the blow by blow and not be a nuisance here. But I'm excited. I'm really excited! I hope all along the way, when I wake up in the middle of the night, it will be excitement and not fear or some horrible realization of what I forgot or what I got absolutely wrong....

It's supposed to be done in 8 weeks. But I get to start bleeding cash immediately! Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Very Happy
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Also, if anyone has seen any killer backsplash ideas I need to get clear about what I want for that. It will be about 18" high and I'll only need about 6' of it so I want something killer sexy.

I like natural materials but I want something with a real stop-everything-you're-doing-and-look-at-me effect so I'm thinking figural glass or sculptural elements as accents. Relief metal as accent is also something I might go with.

Thanks again.
msue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backsplash: On some kitchen design show YEARS ago...for me it had to be on PBS because I don't have cable...they had a drop dead gorgeous backsplash made of cobalt blue glass tiles. The countertops were dark...either charcoal colored or even black. I remember that when the light hit those blue tiles, they practically glowed. It was so beautiful that the memory of that image is still in my mind. The tiles weren't that large...maybe an inch or so square.

The downside is that you really would be committed to having blue (or whatever color you chose) dominate everything. But that glass tile - wow. If I recall the tile had a frosted, almost translucent quality.

Anyway - there's an idea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: