Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Recipes for campers and bushwalkers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Great Links Reply with quote

Hey, you're welcome, Tobias. I had a lot of fun researching this and finding the most helpful sites for you.

And to think that pre-computer days, I had to think of all this stuff by myself and now it's just a printer and mouse click away! Laughing
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DQ, I'll brink marshmellows for toasting.....and thankyou for sharing the story of your tree.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Homemade Marshmallows Reply with quote

I love my Grandfather Maple, so it was nice to be able to share "our" story.

And no doubt, Barbara, with your mastery of kitchen skills, the marshmallows will be homemade! I'll have the fire pits ready.

Being a horticulturist, I knew that marshmallows had originated thousands of years ago, in Greece, by harvesting the mallow plant, which yielded the gluton-like resin to make the confection.

But, it had never occurred to me that today, I'd actually be able to create them. That was, of course, until I was wandering the aisles of Whole Foods, and came across tubs and tubs of HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOWS!!!

Oh.My.God.!!! There were chocolate and toasted coconut and strawberry and plain varieties. Not knowing which to buy, I bought a tub of each and brought them to Sally's home, to share with her and her roomies.

We ate our way through 4 tubs of 'mallows in record time; I think it took 5 days to empty all the containers.

So, that led me to an Internet search for recipes and the consensus among cooks was: Martha Stewart did them best!

I have since made about 40 batches of these confections, including them with my annual Christmas Cookies. I put together little bags of hot chocolate mix, from scratch, and included these marshmallows and their recipe with each goodie bag. They were an instant hit with everyone.

So, since this is a camping thread and camping is to marshmallows what...um-m-m-m...well, fill in your favorite homily.

Enjoy. These marshmallows are definitely "a good thing".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MARTHA STEWART'S HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOW RECIPE

Makes about 40

Marshmallows were originally made from the root of the marshmallow plant; today, corn syrup and sugar are the main ingredients. Homemade ones can be cut into any shape you like.

2 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

1. Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment. Let stand 30 minutes.

2. Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small heavy saucepan; place over low heat, and stir until sugar has dissolved. Wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals.

3. Clip on a candy thermometer; raise heat to high. Cook syrup without stirring until it reaches 244° (firm-ball stage). Immediately remove pan from heat.

4. With mixer on low speed, slowly and carefully pour syrup into the softened gelatin. Increase speed to high; beat until mixture is very thick and white and has almost tripled in volume, about 15 minutes. Add vanilla; beat to incorporate.

5. Generously dust an 8-by-12-inch glass baking pan with confectioners’ sugar. Pour marshmallow mixture into pan. Dust top with confectioners’ sugar; wet your hands, and pat it to smooth. Dust with confectioners’ sugar; let stand overnight, uncovered, to dry out. Turn out onto a board; cut marshmallows with a dry hot knife into 1 1/2-inch squares, and dust with more confectioners' sugar.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee- I completely agree that homemade marshmallows are the greatest! I used to do it with my girls when they were little because it's such a dramatic process with a payoff that definitely had their attention!

I've used MS recipe -- particularly the one for the piped marshmallow bunnies and chicks. Toooo cute! But the basic one I use is the simple one I got from the LA Times some 20 years ago. It's very similar but I'll include it because it doesn't require monitoring a temperature. I've never had a problem with seed crystals either. Alton Brown would probably say that the corn syrup eliminates that problem without the mopping the sides of the pot that gets so old.

LA Times Kitchen Marshmallows

Marshmallows
• 1/2 cup cold water
• 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup light corn syrup
• 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
• powdered or colored very fine sugar

Decorators' Frosting
• 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1 egg white
• 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
• food coloring

Line bottom of 13"x9" baking pan with lightly greased wax paper.

Pour water into a 2-quart saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand to soften, about 5 min. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin dissolves, about 3 min. Add corn syrup. Cook and stir until combined, less than 1 min. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.

Put sugar in large bowl of electric mixer (if you're doing this for the benefit of kids, use a glass bowl so they can see the transformation). Pour in warm liquid mixture. Stir at low speed until sugar is dissolved and mixture is tranparent. (Kids can do this step themselves without the mixer.) Beat at high speed until thickened to consistency of soft marshmallow, about 5 min. Turn into prepared pan. With lightly buttered spatula, spread evenly. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature to dry (90-120 minutes).

Turn out onto cutting board sprinkled generously with powdered sugar. Let rest for an hour or so. Carefully peel off wax paper.

Grease 2-inch metal cookie cutters. Cut out shapes, leaving 1/4" between each. Dust top and sides of shapes with powdered or colored sugar. Set aside while everyone pigs out on cutting scraps.

To make the Decorators' Frosting, in a small bowl of electric mixter stir together confectioners sugar, egg white and cream of tartar. Beat for 8 minutes at high speed. Divide frosting among small bowls and add a few drops of food coloring to make as many colors as you want.

Fit pastry bags with plain #3 decorating tips. Fill bags half full with colored Decorators' Frosting. Pipe along top outer edges, outlining figures. Let dry at least 5 min until the icing is hard. Wrap separately in wax paper or plastic wrap and store in tightly covered container.

Retire to a hot bath until the kids run off their sugar high.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey: GIANT thanks for posting YOUR recipe!!! It didn't matter what search engine I used and what recipe site I found, they all credited Martha for the recipe, so I thought that that was the only way to make them.

There's still loads of cold weather ahead of us in Snow Country, so I'm going to give yours a go this weekend; Sally's coming to the cottage after a crappy week of work, and this will be a fun project for the two of us to do together.

I really appreciate a simpler recipe. Thanks loads!

(edited to ask) What is the 'decorator's' frosting for? Do you decorate the marshmallow? Why? Can you leave them natural? I'm confused now.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means leave them au naturelle! The original LA Times concept was for Easter treats. They suggested cutting them in Spring-ish animal and floral shapes which were enhanced with a royal icing outline & accents. It was just a "pretty" thing so feel free to forego it.

I'm sure you'll find the results very similar to la Martha's recipe. I only saw minor variations on the ingredients. I just thought the Times' method was simpler. Enjoy!

PS Don't you just love how tender they are? I really think it's worth a tiny bit of trouble to see how nice fresh marshmallow is.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends whom I gave them to were 'stunned' that you could actually "make" marshmallows! Of course, they were ALL under 30 years old and had been brought up in the days of pre-made.

What's odd, is that these same friends would make pasta from scratch, bread from scratch...ad naseum...but they couldn't think that stuff like marshmallows would originate in anything other than the Jet Puff factory!

Yes! The smell, the taste, the texture, the aroma...sure heaven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: