Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ile de Re or La Rochelle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paperbackwriter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Ile de Re or La Rochelle? Reply with quote

I'm trying to plan a honeymoon to Ile de Re and La Rochelle. I am wondering about the weather for late June. All of the information I have found states that the daytime temperature is usually 20-26 degrees. Does this seem correct? I was wondering if it tends to feel warmer on the island itself? Any opinions?

We are planning to rent a cottage with a little kitchen so opinions on markets are very appreciated! Thank you for your help.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a week at La Rochelle in late May a few years back... and froze.....

The sun is out, inside behind glass it is warm and lovely.... but it can be very very windy!

If you want to be really sure of comfort, I would pick the mainland during June. You can always do a day trip to the island.

Also spent a few days in february last year in La Rochelle with a friend and her kidlets.

It is a lovely spot and one of my favourites. You will have a fabulous time as there is so much to see and do in and around La Rochelle.

I am currently holidaying in Australia. When I get home to Paris I would be able to give you details on the markets in La Rochelle and other info if you want. This would not be till late march though. Send me a PM if you want.
Alisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear paperbackwriter, It was I who went to La Rochelle with Debbie last February, and before we left I started a thread right here! So many people offered excellent info on that thread. Go to page 2 of this group of topics, you'll find it. But since I didn't re-read all the posts there, I will give you my 2 cents on the market(s) that we found: Small, but charming, with different hours per day. There is an outside market, just infront of the indoor market. La Rochelle has a very good tourist web site with all the various locations and hours, etc., and the tourist office on the pier was very helpful.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest son spent 6 months in La Rochelle on a student exchange when he was 15. He came home with a love of all the best food France has to offer.I am sure you will have a wonderful gastronomic holiday.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to last year's La Rochelle, France thread

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10445&highlight=#10445

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
paperbackwriter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of your help! It sounds like we will be just fine in late June. I am rather looking forward to some cooler weather.
I nearly melted last year in Spain. Even Paris was too warm for me during the last week of June last year. We will still come back to Paris before and after Ile de Re and La Rochelle to visit friends this year. No heat wave will keep me from such a wonderful city.

Debbie- enjoy your holiday in Australia. How wonderful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: