Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

food in period piece movies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: food in period piece movies Reply with quote

I just saw Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette at a friends' house the other night and I was really amazed at the presentation of food at Versailles during Louis XVI's reign. These dishes were like literal food sculptures. I was wondering how film directors find out about the food and recipes royal chefs used back then. Have these recipes been kept on record for hundreds of years? How do filmmakers consult with experts to present accurate looking meals during these period piece movies?

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpo,

For the 18th century, it's not as difficult as it may seem. There are still cookery books from the period around to tell you about the recipe and even the measures. I have an 8th edition of Hannah Glasse's The Art of Cookery made Plain and Easy, myself.

Also paintings and other visual representations - prints, drawings and so on give you clues. Literature of the period can also help to some extent.

The rest, I suspect is experimenting until they get it right or get to a nearest equivalent. After all in a movie it just has to look right - it doesn't necessarily have to be right. ...unless somebody's going to have to eat it, and then it has to look right and at least not taste horrible!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Age of Innocence!...the table setting...can remember gasping when I saw it on the big screen....stunning
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal Pavilion at Brighton (one of my favourite places ever) has a typical menu just inside the kitchen so you can see what the Prince Regent would have had for lunch. It's HUGE!!! No wonder he looked like a barrel in clothes! ... also, no wonder the banqueting hall is so long and wide...!! Not the place to get drunk in tho', all those dragons and the gilt would have really given you the most terrifying hallucinations!!! Shocked
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragons and gilt be blowed!....let the bubbles etc flow....wine merriment and song sing I
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: