Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Culinary wasteland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Culinary wasteland? Reply with quote

Hello all,

We will be staying in the 9th, just across the road from the 18th at Place D'Anvers. There seems to be little in the way of bistros in the neighbourhood that I can find out about. Can anyone help me out please?

Pat
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be pleasantly surprised when you get there: the area couldn't be further from a culinary wasteland!

I can recommend Rose Bakery, Corneil, Le César, le Takbo, Fuxia, Sole Caffe e Cuccina, Les Vivres, Pétrelle, Tienda Nueva, and ever so slightly further but still within walking distance, Carte Blanche, Velly, and le Bar à Manger... I don't think you'll go hungry!

You can see pictures of dishes from some of these restaurants on my moblog, and the contact information can be easily found through Google or the yellow pages.
swan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you Clotilde, I'll be in Paris for a week 17-25 march, staying partly near Opéra (21-25 mar) and I'm considering staying somewhere else for the first few days - this might be the neigbourhood! It's going on the 'to think about' list Smile
simona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dear Swan,
Welcome back from the cold.
I understand you will be staying near the Opera part of your visit. That's already near the 9th, so if you may wish to live more in the centre, you could choose the Marais & Halles district. You also told us about your Market tour with David Lebovitz, and living in that wonderful area will bring you closer to the starting point of the tour.
I'm just back from 10 days in Paris. Though I could write half a booklet about it, I'll just mention one thing which really amused me very much: I usually hunt for books, cookbooks in particular, and I entered also to the FNAC to browse the new titles: there were about 10 (TEN!!) new books, diferent sizes and prices, about CRUMBLE dishes, it was incredible. SO that's the new trend? The good old english crumble? Next in line were the sushi books. Vive la cuisine francaise...!!!

No more war, more crumble !
Rachel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, if you're willing to venture up into Montmartre, there are some other places worth trying (not too far up the hill) - La Famille, L'Homme Tranquille (both French) and Le Mono (African).

Simona, yes, I am most amused by the vogue for crumble in France. In fact I actually broke down and bought a crumble cookbook when I was in Lille in November, flying in the face of my usual self-imposed prohibition on buying single-recipe cookbooks. I guess one could think of it as England's sweet (in all senses!) revenge for the Norman Conquest... Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha!! I love the idea of the French taking the dear old crumble and doing their own version... and watching English cooks grumbling 'cos the French version out does their own!!! Very Happy

We call it Sleepy Pudding in our family, because after lunch you have crumble with custard (thick, not watery) and then fall asleep with your stomach feeling like it's the size of Russia!!

Hmm, I wonder what Clotilde would do with the 'umble crumble?

I've had apple and ginger, apple and blackberries, autumn berries, pear and ginger... and of course the old fashioned apple. All good, warm and filling!

Rachel,
I don't think the Normans would grumble too much at this revenge tho'!
pat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information. You dont know how much better I feel knowing there are good places to eat close to where we are staying!

Pat
claudine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Rose bakery Reply with quote

some good pics of Rose Bakery, and info about the food, can be found here:
www.badaude.typepad.com
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, your problem will be choosing which place to eat at - not finding anywhere!! Laughing

Bring a second stomach with you so you can fit in all the gourmandising that you will want to do.... Wink
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just discovered this thread.

Swan I'd love to hear about your David Lebovitz tour. Is it coming up or have you posted it somewhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: