Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

soft food ideas needed please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: soft food ideas needed please Reply with quote

My 'little' 12 year old son has just had braces put on and his mouth is swollen and too sore to even think about eating, but he's hungry!. Those of you who have/had/were a hungry 12 yr old will remember how much they constantly eat.

We've tried mashed potatoes, fruit juice-based jellies and chocolate mousse with some success, but I'd like a few more ideas if anyone has any. He doesn't like soup, unfortunately.

I was lucky enough to not need braces (and have no fillings to this day - thanks to fluoride) so I'm not at all familiar with this, any tips gratefully accepted.
lee_loreya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had braces for five long years so I can relate to your son. Fortunately, after a couple of months, your lips get used to it. When they took my braces off, I was amazed at the smooth contact of my lips and bare teeth because I got so used to metal.

However, I don't remember having a smooth food period. I even managed to continue eating sticky chewing gums and candy (which the dentist had forbidden).

Risottos are smooth, aren't they? I mean they're not as crunchy as normal rice dished. Risotto with mushroom and coriander, or with tomato paste and peas...

Yogurt? Fruit Compote with creme fraiche?

The puree is the most obvious choice but if you get bored of potatoes, there's this page(http://www.hertzmann.com/articles/2004/puree/index.php) with other vegetables.

Porrigde? Oatmeal? Warm Polenta (it is basically cornmeal that you can get in ready to make bags. You cook it in boiling water for five minutes, constantly stirring and add a little butter or olive oil to make it more puree like, otherwise it will stiffen into a loaf)(http://www.polenta.com/)
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived off yogurt when I had those infernal things. Now unless it's a condiment I can't touch the stuff. Very nice of you to think about variety.

Rhubarb sauce is very yummy. A brown sugar and cinnamon baked apple. Egg's don't require a lot af chewing. Spicy refried beans with cheese. A milk shake will do in those moments when they really hurt.

Poor kid, I hope he feels better soon. Oh and if you haven't already get him a tube of Orajel, it works wonders.

"It's hot ham water."
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad y'all started this topic as my son (22) will have jaw surgery in a couple of months and I will need some ideas too....for a very hungry young adult....smoothies and milk shakes will be his food for a while i fear....and soups
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: soft food ideas needed please Reply with quote

Judy wrote:
He doesn't like soup, unfortunately.

Shocked Shocked Shocked I have never in my life heard of a single person who "doesn't like soup!"

For real, Judy? Is that all soups? From split pea to beef barley to tomato?

I'm not going to venture a single gourmet recipe because it sounds like your son is "All American"; how about Kraft Macaroni with Cheese? I remember eating that when I had braces and you can suck the noodles down without chewing them.

Applesauce, Pasta sauce over elbow macaroni, egg custard....man, without soup, it really diminishes half of what you can make for him.

Does he like mashed sweet potatoes? Those are really healthy for you.

Good luck on this, it sounds tough.
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a nice, mild Pad Thai made with tofu cubes instead of chicken and shrimp. If you wok the noodles long enough in the oil they get very soft!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custard has eggs and dairly so it's quite nutritious and I'm guessing he has a 12yo metabolism and can handle the sugar. Add some well-cooked rice and well-soaked raisins and you've got rice pudding with a hearty starch that will stay with him.

Whirl cottage cheese or a 50/50 blend of cottage cheese and ricotta with fresh berries or banana. Add a little white sugar or brown sugar to taste. An appropriate extract could boost the flavor: You could crush up some graham cracker crumbs and layer the banana flavor with them parfait style for some soft, yummy snack that has some actual nutrition.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he like dip-type things? Not as liquid as soup, but still don't require chewing. Back in the dark ages, I had full metal-mouth braces and warm cheese dip was soft, savory and I ate it with a spoon instead of chips/crisps. It was good to have something *not* sweet. I got burnt out on fruit yogurt & milkshakes really fast. Other savory things -- any legume pureed with a bit of their broth & appropriate seasonings -- dal, hummus, frijoles colados. Poached eggs with hollandaise or cheese sauce. I never found a way to make meat acceptable except chicken liver pate (I was a weird kid) and little tins of Spam spread which I won't touch now. To make sure he gets plenty of protein, you could add protein-drink powder to smoothies.

Hope this helps, I can empathize with his discomfort. For 2 days every month, I could only eat soft food. My orthodontist gave me thin sheets of special wax to mold around the sharp bits of metal to help with discomfort of mouth sores.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening! Saw this topic and thought I would add a yummy recipe that is filling, nutritious and soft!

I quite often make a tuna kedgeree and serve with rice, but I thought you might be able to serve it plain or on very soft noodles.

Drain a large can of tuna in water and flake tuna into a bowl.
Add the juice of at least one lemon and one lime to the tuna (a bit of the zest is nice also), so that the tuna has alot of juice to soak up but is not drowning in it.
saute a finely chopped onion till translucent (do not brown it) in a small amount of oil or butter or water.
Add teaspoon of curry powder (or to taste) mix in with the onion. It will start to get very aromatic and the colour will start to change and darken.
Next add a tablespoon of flour and mix again until the mix starts to go lumpy and (fairly) unattractive.
Once the flour is fully coating the onion andthere is no "raw" flour sitting in the bottom of the saucepan you start to add milk a little at a time... mixing well and continuously. Depending on how much you want to make and how big your onion, you can use about 1/2 a litre of milk.
Turn the heat down abit so that the sauce thickens but does not boil or seperate.
Once the sauce has thickened, allow to cool slightly and then add the tuna. ***be careful that you don't add too much of the juice or it will curdle**** a few teaspoons of juice is ok

I would normally serve with basmati rice that has cooked in butter and water and had extra butter and fresh parsley added to it after draining.

This is so savoury and I didn't like anything with curry in it till I tried this. I used to put a tiny bit in and gradually increased he amount until it had flavour but didn't taste of "curry". Now I am a convert! The juice goes so well with the creamy curry flavour and really cuts back the curry flavour to a nice mellow taste.

Hope it helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: